E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
garen45

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Sub install... so confused... please help

Hey guys i know there are a million threads on this but the more i read the more confused i get. I have a Zapco 500 mono amo and 2x12 alumapros. How the heck do i connect them. I need a line feed from my HU but when i read the posts it talks about an loc and stuff i've never heard of. I dont have the wiring yet and i'm trying to find out what i need so i can go buy it tommorow. Can anyone help?

1. What is an LOC... Do i need one?
2. Where do i get a line to plug into my amp for the subs to get audio (like replace my hk subs)?
garen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
are you using the stock head unit?
an LOC (line output converter) converts a "high level" (amped) headunit signal to a lower level "source" (rca jacks) [red and white plugs like on the back on home stereo equipment] signal.

so basically, you can probably (i am not that familiar with stock bmw sound systems) take whatever input is going into your hk subs (before the amp) and hook that up to the input on your amp. maybe you would need an loc, but in theory the signal going to the hk amp is not "amplified".

ok.. time to let someone who has actually done this with a bmw hk system chime in.

oh congrats on getting good stuff, zapco and alumapro. i used to be on car audio forums way back in the day and it was, "i got a boss amp and some sony subs off ebay, how do i hook them up"
Old 10-14-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by garen45 View Post
Hey guys i know there are a million threads on this but the more i read the more confused i get. I have a Zapco 500 mono amo and 2x12 alumapros. How the heck do i connect them. I need a line feed from my HU but when i read the posts it talks about an loc and stuff i've never heard of. I dont have the wiring yet and i'm trying to find out what i need so i can go buy it tommorow. Can anyone help?

1. What is an LOC... Do i need one?
2. Where do i get a line to plug into my amp for the subs to get audio (like replace my hk subs)?
A LOC is called Line Output Converter. Yes you do need one. What it does it is tapped (connected) to the factory speaker wires coming out of the factory amp if your using the factory radio. This should answer both of your questions.

What you will need is:
1. 2 of seven feet 4 - 6 gauge power wires
2. 1 of seven feet 14 - 16 gauge remote turn on wire
3. 1 of barrel fuse holder
4. 1 of 60 amp barrel fuse (I recommend buy a 5 pak of these fuses)
5. 1 of 6 feet RCA cable
6. 1 of a LOC

That's all of installation supplies you need. The first five items listed can be bought as an Amplifier Install Kit which probably run you about $40 and the LOC will probably run you $25. You can find these in any local stereo shop.

Here is a link to the installation from BSW, this will definitely help on the installation. It's a step by step process and you can't go wrong. I used it when I installed my amp and sub into my car and I used to work for stereo shop in the past but its always good to have some sort of reference. It's very detailed and with step by step photos as well.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...edan_99-06.pdf

Any questions feel free to ask. Good Luck

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
garen45

ok sorry for my stupidity but your saying a LOC helps you tap your into your factory hk amp? but why do i need my factory hk amp for my subs and why can't i just use wire taps for example? also my amp doesn't have rca jacks, the link below is my amp and shows the connections it has. basically why can't i just use wire taps, what does the loc do differantly?

one more thing what is a remote turn on wire and what does it do?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
garen45

forgot the link http://www.zapco.com/images/Amps_Enl...n/REF500_1.jpg

if you click in the link it shows a connection on the right for gnd, trn on, 12v. is turn on the remote turn on? and where are the audio inputs i get the amp tommorow so maybe the rca's are somewhere else?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
ok sorry for my stupidity but your saying a LOC helps you tap your into your factory hk amp? but why do i need my factory hk amp for my subs and why can't i just use wire taps for example? also my amp doesn't have rca jacks, the link below is my amp and shows the connections it has. basically why can't i just use wire taps, what does the loc do differantly?

The remote turn on wire is what actually turns on the amp when you turn on the radio. If you click on the link I gave you, it will explain everything to you.

The LOC taps into the wires coming out of the amp, that pretty much where you get your signal. The LOC taps into those wires, then you plug your RCA cable into the LOC on one end and the other end of the RCA connects into your aftermarket amp.

I will draw you a basic diagram in the next few minutes.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Old 10-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #7
garen45

how come i have no rca jacks and thanks for the diagram.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 AM   #8
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:

hope this photo helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	288040  

Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #9
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
how come i have no rca jacks and thanks for the diagram.
RCA jack are located on the LOC and your aftermarket amp.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
garen45

ok 2 final questions... i think

why cant i mount my amp on my speaker box directly?

and will any loc work? one better than the other?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
garen45

by the way in this list:

What you will need is:
5. 1 of 6 feet RCA cable
6. 1 of a LOC

where are the cables from the factory cables to the LOC? are they apart of the LOC
Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 AM   #12
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
ok 2 final questions... i think

why cant i mount my amp on my speaker box directly?

and will any loc work? one better than the other?
My amp is mounted on my sub box, but best place is against the rear seat

I'm using an LOC made by P.A.C also another good company is Soundgate

Old 10-14-2008, 02:09 AM   #13
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
by the way in this list:

What you will need is:
5. 1 of 6 feet RCA cable
6. 1 of a LOC

where are the cables from the factory cables to the LOC? are they apart of the LOC
The LOC will have 4 wires coming out of it, those four wires will tap into the wires coming out of the factory amp.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:08 AM   #14
garen45

Hey thanks for all your help, and instead of cutting the wires in my factory unit i'm assuming i could use wire splices? btw thanks scott0482
fpr the kudos on my system.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
hexadecim8

My Ride: '04 ///M3
Just get yourself a 2-channel LOC like Peripheral SVEN2 or similar to get the signal for your amp. You may not even need a LOC as it looks like your amp accepts balanced inputs and the BMW HU put out differential balanced output. If you are disconnecting the factory subwoofer and amp then you should be able to just tap the signal going into that amp to get the signal for your sub. Otherwise, tap the signal off the right rear driver.
hexadecim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #16
garen45

but even if i dont need one it makes the wiring much easier from what i can see, because without it i wouldn't know how to run wires. so even if i dont need it and get one will it still work? and if i dont get one what will i do with the 4 wires i tap into?

also can i use wire splices instead of cutting the wires?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Thry is

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...edan_99-06.pdf

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #18
miccou

My Ride: E46 325iA M-sport
I have an amp with high input. What do you recommend: should I use the high input in the amp or connect the amp to a LOC?

I have read that the LOC destroyes the signal or the quality of the signal is not so good when using a LOC...

But I want to keep the original HU so I'll get the signal from the speaker wire but I don't know which method would be better. I have a euro spec e46 so I don't have a factory amp.
miccou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
To the original poster, If it is not to late, check you amplifier manual. I am pretty sure Zapco amps take the head unit's balanced-differetial signals directly = no loc required and better sound quality.

to miccou: If you don't have an oem amplifier and you amp takes epeaker-level inputs, then you don't need a loc.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #20
miccou

My Ride: E46 325iA M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242 View Post
to miccou: If you don't have an oem amplifier and you amp takes epeaker-level inputs, then you don't need a loc.
yes, I know that I don't need the LOC but I was just wondering if I get better signal using the LOC or it "smoothens" the signal. I read somewhere that the signal might be somehow not so good when it's coming directly from the head unit. But you already answered above that better signal comes when using the high input on the amp directly than via LOC.

Maybe it was hard to understand what I was aiming at in the previous post.... I'm not a native English speaker But thanks for the reply Tomorrow I'll start installing the amp but today is time

Last edited by miccou; 10-24-2008 at 11:51 AM.
miccou is offline   Reply With Quote