E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Thinking about going with Big Brake Kit

If I go with a Big Brake Kit, I have question.

Will I still be able to use the brake pad sensors with the new kit?

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
Wide Tires

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3 Coupe
I am considering a big brake kit and have been researching the many different kits. I too would prefer to have functional pad wear sensors.

Dinan claims that their BBKs retain the oem wear sensors. There appears to be a small pocket in the pad to accept the sensor. Because the Dinan kit is merely a re-labeled Brembo kit, it can be assumed that the Brembo kits will also retain the sensor. Stoptech kits use a different but possibly compatible sensor. See their website for more details. I don't know about the use of sensors with other BBKs.

Unfortunately the Dinan and Brembo kits are very expensive and the Stoptech kits are only slightly less expensive.
Wide Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Tires View Post
I am considering a big brake kit and have been researching the many different kits. I too would prefer to have functional pad wear sensors.

Dinan claims that their BBKs retain the oem wear sensors. There appears to be a small pocket in the pad to accept the sensor. Because the Dinan kit is merely a re-labeled Brembo kit, it can be assumed that the Brembo kits will also retain the sensor. Stoptech kits use a different but possibly compatible sensor. See their website for more details. I don't know about the use of sensors with other BBKs.

Unfortunately the Dinan and Brembo kits are very expensive and the Stoptech kits are only slightly less expensive.
I saw on UUC Motor Werks which are very cheap price for front and rear kit. On UUC Motor Werks page they offer WILWOOD big brake kit front and rear with 4 pistons calipers for 2100, so I wonder if i can use the brake pad sensors in these. I hope so, I'm going to give UUC call tomorrow and ask them.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Old 10-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Brembo_RaceTech
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything w/ Brembo's
All of our brake kits do in fact have the option for pads with the OEM wear sensor in them.
This is standard on the 6-piston monobloc kits, and is an option on the 4-piston systems.
You will need to request the pad sensor when you place the order.

Keep in mind that brakes are one of the items where you do in fact "get what you pay for".
When you see brake systems that are priced significantly less than others, you should really look into what you are actually receiving for the money you are spending.

Manufacturing and build quality is one of the first major differences between many of these kits. Longevity of the components such as pads and rotors is another to look at closely. While some companies make claims to having less expensive replacement parts cost, you also need to take into consideration the frequency of having to replace such items. Other costs that are not frequently talked about are the unexpected cost of replacing other items such as hat's or brackets, seized hardware, or caliper rebuilds from many of these lower cost alternatives.

Brembo systems are as simply as "Install and Enjoy".
The only items that are considered consumable in our systems are the rotors and pads, just as in your OEM system.
For the 2pc. fully floating discs this will include replacing the connecting hardware between the disc and hat.
With Brembo, you will never need to purchase new hats/bells, brackets, caliper rebuild kits, or any other significant items as part of general maintenance or common use. You will not be advise to safety wire any of your hardware for fear of it coming apart during use. Lastly, quality and safety will never be compromised in exchange for lower costs and other claimed benefits.

Last edited by Brembo_RaceTech; 10-16-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Brembo_RaceTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
only do it if being done for looks...

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
^ i agree - if your planning on putting them on a 325 your wasting your money unless you have a show car...even if you had a m3 youll be wasting your money buying a after market brake kit...bmw did a very good job with our brake system...if and only if your car is pushing more then 350whp then i would recommend a bigger brake kit...do your research before you spend all your cash...youll find on here that people who actually went with brembro kits felt no difference....but those who went with the brembro big brake kit actually do feel a difference.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
a 325 w/ big brake kit?!? Thats like boosting a lawnmower. How fast do you need to stop from 0-60 in 2 miles?!? I agree w/ the above, get the brembo if its strictly for looks.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
I'm guessing it's not for looks if the OP is sporting the wheels shown in his sig pic... you'll never see the brakes. Of course, they might not fit inside those wheels anyway.

I agree with some of the others when they say that a BBK would be a giant waste of money on a 325. Perhaps the OP can shed some light on why he's considering a BBK.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Bimmer Dude Xi

Well right now I'm doing the research, It's not a show car but I'd like to have the looks though. I do not plan keeping these wheels, I plan on getting the 18" CSL replica rims by the spring time. I see the point of needing the 350+ whp for the point of actually having these upgraded kits and yea also on the lawn mower comment. It's just an idea really. I just been browsing around. I was looking into cross drilled slotted rotors all around or maybe just slotted rotors.

Someone mentioned when it comes to brakes, "You get what you paid for" I know 2100 for front and rear kit is low but isn't WILWOOD a good company for brakes?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
if its just for looks, paint your stock calipers. Looks just as nice minus the huge name on the side.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
search regarding the 330 brake upgrade
Old 10-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I have the UUC/Wilwood kit and you can't use the OEM sensor. The pedal feels much better over OEM but I can't say that alone justifies the cost. You can get the UUC front wheel only kit for about $1k.

If you do go with UUC, I'd get the 6 piston fr/4 piston rr with the slotted rotors. If you want drilled one, buy them from Tischer. The added cost of getting the drilled upgrade is more than just buying the rotors from Tischer. Keep in mind that you go with the OEM drilled rotors, you'll want to paint the hat and inner part of the rotor with some black hi-temp paint.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
kent330i

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to kent330i
Most of the BBK do not use sensor; all you have to do is cut your sensor wires shorter and connect both of them together.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
Red 90

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
a 325 w/ big brake kit?!? Thats like boosting a lawnmower. How fast do you need to stop from 0-60 in 2 miles?!? I agree w/ the above, get the brembo if its strictly for looks.
It's not how fast you stop that necessitates the big brake kit, it's how many repeated stops you make. You can have a 325 and require a big brake kit if you track the car, and you don't necessarily need a high HP car to enjoy the track. However, you need a car that can take 30min worth of hard core braking every corner without fading and still have good modulation. This is where the big brake kit shines.

If the car is just used for the street driving, then I agree, you won't ever need a big brake kit. If you track the car, even if it's not competitive, you'll enjoy the BBK.

Just to note, you don't need an M3 or 350hp car to go on the track. You just need a good working car with sticky tires, good brakes and good cooling system.
Red 90 is offline   Reply With Quote