E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
richardx

My Ride: 2003 330 Ci
Auxiliary Audio Input Finally Put In! Many Thanks!

After six months of waiting, I am finally the happy owner of a 2003 330Ci with the BMW auxiliary audio input installed in the recommended position in the glove compartment. My iPod sounds terrific through the HK system, now that I don't have to futz around with one of those annoying FM transmitters. I also have one of the Belkin DC adapters with the audio output on the lighter plug- so the only cable that hangs from the glove compartment is the dock cable for my new 30 GB iPod. I'm currently mounting it in an Arkon vent mount on the center right vent.

Many thanks are in order. First, thanks to everyone that posted DIY instructions and tips on the various fora on the web. In particular, the advice about the monitor removal and possibly having to switch pins two and three on the harness were extremely valuable. We did have to switch my pins, and then the long awaited AUX code appeared on the monitor. We also grounded the body of the jack, as was suggested.

Thanks to Budds' BMW Hamilton of Hamilton, Ontario for sell me the part, and shipping it to me in just two days. They also included a copy of the instructions- which, of course, I already had thanks to forum members.

Thanks to Tweeter, Etc. of Warwick, Rhode Island for doing the installation. I've never done any dashboard disassembly, and was nervous about trying it myself. They also fairly charged me for just one hour of labor, even though it took quite a bit longer- including a trip to the nearby BMW dealership to try to buy the nav monitor removal tool (which, of course, was not in stock). We made do with something very much like the oft-mentioned steak knife.

Oh, and thanks to BMW of North America, LLC for... well... for nothing. I still have no idea why a part that is available in Europe and in Canada should be unavailable for purchase and installation in the US. I was told that it was because BMWNA hadn't yet tested the part. Well, if this is really the case, I can report unequivocally- it works! Just like it does in Europe and Canada! Go figure!

To all you owners of 2003 and 2004 models- this is a great thing to have. I just hope you'll be able to get it all done at your own dealership before too much longer. I'll be curious to see how much longer, actually.

Tom
richardx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.