E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Has anybody tried Dinan performance products

I'm looking to get the there Air box, throttle body, stage 3 engine software and transmission software.

I'm open to suggestions, opinions, recommendations and whatever .02 cents you want to throw in.

Thanks

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
most people on here hate dinan because it's expensive without very strong results. however, the rational consensus is that they are very good products and very high quality... it's simply that they aren't the most cost effective. also, i'm guessing you are out of warranty in which case the dinan stuff doesn't really benefit you.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
most people on here hate dinan because it's expensive without very strong results. however, the rational consensus is that they are very good products and very high quality... it's simply that they aren't the most cost effective. also, i'm guessing you are out of warranty in which case the dinan stuff doesn't really benefit you.
Wow, fast response. Expensive is right. I spoke to Dinan authorized dealer. They wanna charge me 2500 for the products I mentioned with installation.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
Wow, fast response. Expensive is right. I spoke to Dinan authorized dealer. They wanna charge me 2500 for the products I mentioned with installation.
yeah. that's half a supercharger right there.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
netengwiz

My Ride: E46 330i
Twice a year or so, Dinan runs a discount on their stuff. That's the time to buy. Sometimes it's 20% off and at one point they had 50% off. You just have to keep checking their website for the specials. It's usually in the Spring or early Summer. I bought when they had a special...

|KW V2|Volk LE37T|Dinan|Eisenmann|Rädenergie|FormulaOne|Stoptech|Evospor t|Eibach|
2010 Audi Q5 Premium Plus S-Line|H&R|
2012 Ducati Streetfighter|Termignoni|DP|Lightech|Rizoma|
netengwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by netengwiz View Post
Twice a year or so, Dinan runs a discount on their stuff. That's the time to buy. Sometimes it's 20% off and at one point they had 50% off. You just have to keep checking their website for the specials. It's usually in the Spring or early Summer. I bought when they had a special...
What did you buy from Dinan?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
netengwiz

The new intake kit and stage 2 s/w. I have other stuff on my car like pulleys, headers, exhaust. Dinan has quality products and I'm happy with it. My main reason for choosing them is that they are local and if I ever had any issues, it's not a issue to drop by their shop.

|KW V2|Volk LE37T|Dinan|Eisenmann|Rädenergie|FormulaOne|Stoptech|Evospor t|Eibach|
Old 10-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
The new intake kit and stage 2 s/w. I have other stuff on my car like pulleys, headers, exhaust. Dinan has quality products and I'm happy with it. My main reason for choosing them is that they are local and if I ever had any issues, it's not a issue to drop by their shop.
how much of a difference did the intake and software make?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #9
netengwiz

I felt the difference with just the intake and software, but it's by no means mind blowing. The best way I can describe it is that it drives like it should have from the factory. I know that sounds weird, but my first thought was "this is how it shoulda felt straight from the factory".

As I said previously, I expanded on that and did pulleys, headers, and exhaust and those changes are far more significant. So what I would suggest is if you are staying non-FI, then you should plan ahead to go beyond just the Dinan parts.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
I felt the difference with just the intake and software, but it's by no means mind blowing. The best way I can describe it is that it drives like it should have from the factory. I know that sounds weird, but my first thought was "this is how it shoulda felt straight from the factory".

As I said previously, I expanded on that and did pulleys, headers, and exhaust and those changes are far more significant. So what I would suggest is if you are staying non-FI, then you should plan ahead to go beyond just the Dinan parts.
Well on doing the Dinan intake air box, throttle body, stage engine software, Transmission software. Super Sprint full exhaust with headers as well. Thinking about doing UUC pullies and maybe Technik Camshafts. That pretty much maxing out the NA upgrades unless I do block internal work such as crank, rods and piston from a 330 if its possible doing. Pretty much my own stroker kit but its only a theory of mine.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #11
netengwiz

Quote:
Well on doing the Dinan intake air box, throttle body, stage engine software, Transmission software. Super Sprint full exhaust with headers as well. Thinking about doing UUC pullies and maybe Technik Camshafts. That pretty much maxing out the NA upgrades unless I do block internal work such as crank, rods and piston from a 330 if its possible doing. Pretty much my own stroker kit but its only a theory of mine.
Now that's the way to do it

Old 10-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #12
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Now that's the way to do it
Question about your pullies, on replacing the power steering pully, does it make it harder to park? I hear replacing to under driven pullies make it harder to parallel park.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #13
netengwiz

Quote:
Question about your pullies, on replacing the power steering pully, does it make it harder to park? I hear replacing to under driven pullies make it harder to parallel park.
I have the Evosport pullies and I have to honestly say I can't feel a difference with the steering.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #14
Bimmer Dude Xi

Also another idea i have is removing the fan and fan clutch. Then install a high CFM electric fan. Problem is, I dunno where to get the signal to turn on the fan.

I think i'm gonna have to make or get a harness for that with a thermo switch tap in somewhere to the cooling system.

This should free up HP as well.

What you think?

Old 10-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #15
Transporter99

My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Though my M52TU engine won't support what you mentioned, I've been happy with my Dinan S2 software and intake. And those I've chatted with that had the M54 with the items you mentioned, really seemed to like them.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:57 AM   #16
Bimmer Dude Xi

Cool.

I'm trying to extract as much power out this engine with going into heavy performance product such as FI or Nitrous. I'm trying to keep it NA.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
AngelsNeverLose

My Ride: 02' BMW 325ci
for the price of everything youve said, you could almost get a supercharger, or could get one... wouldn't that be smarter in a way? you get more bang for the same buck, and supercharger is still very reliable ive heard as long as you dont overboost them, or the engine (like 6lb boost / 8lbs tops)?
AngelsNeverLose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #18
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
facepalm

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #19
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
facepalm
Old 11-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsNeverLose View Post
for the price of everything youve said, you could almost get a supercharger, or could get one... wouldn't that be smarter in a way? you get more bang for the same buck, and supercharger is still very reliable ive heard as long as you dont overboost them, or the engine (like 6lb boost / 8lbs tops)?
I'm not going that route. I been reading a lot of supercharger with automatic transmission problems on here. Definitely not looking forward to the problems.
I'm reconsidering of not doing any motor mods now because of the fact of over priced products with little to no kick. I'll do intake and cat back exhaust. I'm sticking with the looks.