E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
bmwdrift14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
Maf? rough idle please help

Well i had a CEL and i hooked it up and found out my car was misfiring so my mechanic teacher at school was like change the plugs , changed the plugs and the problem stayed the same then he said change the coils , sooo i bought the bav auto high performance coils and now the car idles better just a tad bit but it still has the noticeable rough shake the car a bit idle , could it be my maf? and if so is there any way i can clean it instead of just replacing it i really need help on thsi guys thanks
bmwdrift14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
Bimmer Dude Xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,353
My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdrift14 View Post
Well i had a CEL and i hooked it up and found out my car was misfiring so my mechanic teacher at school was like change the plugs , changed the plugs and the problem stayed the same then he said change the coils , sooo i bought the bav auto high performance coils and now the car idles better just a tad bit but it still has the noticeable rough shake the car a bit idle , could it be my maf? and if so is there any way i can clean it instead of just replacing it i really need help on thsi guys thanks
Go to a local auto store and purchase MAF cleaner and see if that helps.

I think you should OEM coils instead of those Bav Auto. Few people on here mentioned that those coils don't improve anything and also someone said it made it worse.

Read this thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...357&highlight=
__________________

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|

Last edited by Bimmer Dude Xi; 10-16-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Jason@Euro-Division
Regional Sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,403
My Ride: e46
Maf, Lower intake boot, ICV could be the cause. I just cleaned my ICV, replaced lower intake boot and cleaned my throttle body valve today.
__________________
Email: sales@euro-division.com (Mails replied 365 days a year)
Web: www.euro-division.com



Your Australian Source For BMW

EXTERIOR / INTERIOR / LIGHTING / WHEELS / BRAKES / CF PARTS
Jason@Euro-Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
JesLet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chandler AZ
Posts: 283
My Ride: not an ///M
What codes?

Maybe you have vauum leaks?
JesLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
bmwdrift14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
alright thanks a bunch guys i will take ur advice and check it out i will keep everyone informed
bmwdrift14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
elite53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma,WA
Posts: 742
My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Unplug your MAF sensor and start the car and see if your rough idle goes away. If not then it probably isn't your MAF sensor.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
jinxie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: STL - PHX
Posts: 136
My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
what would happen if you drive with the MAF unplugged? mine has the same symptoms...and i just unplugged it and it sounds fine i guess... i was going to take it to a dealership and have it checked out, but i didn't wanna drive it before since it sounded like it would stall, but it sounds okay with it unplugged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
Unplug your MAF sensor and start the car and see if your rough idle goes away. If not then it probably isn't your MAF sensor.
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
elite53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma,WA
Posts: 742
My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Im not certain cause I have never tried it but I assume the car would go into it's limp-home mode and would have drastically reduced power.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
jinxie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: STL - PHX
Posts: 136
My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
Im not certain cause I have never tried it but I assume the car would go into it's limp-home mode and would have drastically reduced power.
okies, i was just wondering because i was going to take it to a dealer (about 7 miles or so) to have it checked out because it's misfiring, and i didn't want to pay to have it towed there... but since it doesn't seem to when the MAF is unplugged, i'm kinda leaning toward just ordering the part and putting it in myself.
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
elite53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma,WA
Posts: 742
My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
A MAF sensor for your car is about $283 bucks which is a lot of money to spend on a best guess kind of fix. I can't promise you that this is the problem. What I can do is make you a deal that might help you fix it. I have an extra MAF down in my garage that is used but it works just fine. I replaced mine a while back when I was troubleshooting a problem with my supercharger install. Turns out the MAF was good so now I have an extra one. If you want to pay shipping, which shouldn't be more than $5 or $10 bucks, I will send it out to you and you can try it out. If it doesn't fix your problem you can send it right back to me. If it does fix it I will sell it to you for $100 dollars or you can send it back to me and buy yourself a brand new one.Just let me know if your interested.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
jinxie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: STL - PHX
Posts: 136
My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
crap, i didn't see this until just now, and i had already ordered one a few days ago, comes in monday. but actually, i'm not even sure that's really the problem as i have just discovered a huge gaping whole in the rubber intake thingamabob just before it goes to the engine... the one that is connected to the idle control valve thingy as well. now i'm trying to decide if i wanna go ahead and replace the idle control valve or just try and clean it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
A MAF sensor for your car is about $283 bucks which is a lot of money to spend on a best guess kind of fix. I can't promise you that this is the problem. What I can do is make you a deal that might help you fix it. I have an extra MAF down in my garage that is used but it works just fine. I replaced mine a while back when I was troubleshooting a problem with my supercharger install. Turns out the MAF was good so now I have an extra one. If you want to pay shipping, which shouldn't be more than $5 or $10 bucks, I will send it out to you and you can try it out. If it doesn't fix your problem you can send it right back to me. If it does fix it I will sell it to you for $100 dollars or you can send it back to me and buy yourself a brand new one.Just let me know if your interested.
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
elite53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tacoma,WA
Posts: 742
My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Well, there's your problem. Change the boot and you will be golden. Don't open the MAF and you should be able to send it back. If it were me, I probably wouldn't even clean the ICV. If it ain't broke don't fix it or if you do be gentle with it. They have a very weak return spring in them that won't tolerate much abuse. Just spray it out with brake cleaner and put it back in. Don't stick anything down in there or you may damage the spring. Of course if money isn't an issue, now would be a good time to replace it. I don't know where you buy your parts from but for me www.autohausaz.com usually has the best prices I have found. Good luck.

Last edited by elite53; 11-02-2008 at 03:35 AM.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 AM   #13
jinxie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: STL - PHX
Posts: 136
My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
yep, that's where i ordered it from, autohausaz
i think i'll probably go ahead and replace the MAF as i think i saw somewhere that it's suggested after 100K miles or something and mine is at 109K
i think it had 103K on it when i bought it though. i will be estatic if replacing that boot finally makes my CEL go away, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
Well, there's your problem. Change the boot and you will be golden. Don't open the MAF and you should be able to send it back. If it were me, I probably wouldn't even clean the ICV. If of ain't broke don't fix it or if you do be gentle with it. They have a very weak return spring in them that won't tolerate much abuse. Just spray it out with brake cleaner and put it back in. Don't stick anything down in there or you may damage the spring. Of course if money isn't an issue, now would be a good time to replace it. I don't know where you buy your parts from but for me www.autohausaz.com usually has the best prices I have found. Good luck.
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use