E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
well balanced suspension

hello everyone,

Was looking at suspensions for the 330i and there are a lot of options. I'm looking for a setup that moderatly lowers the car to an attractive stance (not slammed) while providing the best handling characteristics. I define best handling characteristics as those that keep the car as flat as possible in the corners with a slight hint of oversteer. I believe that you cannot acheive this by simply grabbing any strut/spring combo and matching it with any old sway bar setup so I'm thinking a full kit from a single manufacturer will include components that are all designed to work together.

I see that Eibach offers a complete kit that includes springs, struts, and swaybars. So does UUC. Anyone have any feedback about these two suspensions and which one would be most likely to provide me with the desired effect?

Koni has a FSD kit too that looks pretty good....

I see most sway bars available for the 330i are also adjustable... does this mean that I can probably go with whatever spring/strut combo I like and I'll be able to dial it in anyway?

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 10-22-2008 at 07:46 PM.
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
H&R Cup Kit
Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
rkneeshaw

any concerns matching sway bars to that kit without disrupting oversteer/understeer balance?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
hello everyone,

Was looking at suspensions for the 330i and there are a lot of options. I'm looking for a setup that moderatly lowers the car to an attractive stance (not slammed) while providing the best handling characteristics. I define best handling characteristics as those that keep the car as flat as possible in the corners with a slight hint of oversteer. I believe that you cannot acheive this by simply grabbing any strut/spring combo and matching it with any old sway bar setup so I'm thinking a full kit from a single manufacturer will include components that are all designed to work together.

I see that Eibach offers a complete kit that includes springs, struts, and swaybars. So does UUC. Anyone have any feedback about these two suspensions and which one would be most likely to provide me with the desired effect?

Koni has a FSD kit too that looks pretty good....

I see most sway bars available for the 330i are also adjustable... does this mean that I can probably go with whatever spring/strut combo I like and I'll be able to dial it in anyway?

Your sort of on the right track, you stated FSD, that is definetly not going to be the best handling suspension that is for sure, if you want strictly handling and done care about confort or money you need to get Ground control or TC Kline. Or you can get both in a KW V2. Are you going to track your car?, For best results your will need to change your RTAB's and put shims, replace control arms and bushing with some Polly bushings and get thicker sway. good luck.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
any concerns matching sway bars to that kit without disrupting oversteer/understeer balance?
No. That's the point of having adjustable aftermarket bars. They allow you to fine tune the balance of your car once everything else is set up.

H&R and Hotchkis both offer great bars.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
rkneeshaw

Yes, I would plan on tracking the car occasionally. I'm also looking specifically for a ZHP model, so I know it will have a somewhat sporty suspension to start with but I'm assuming I would need something a little better. Since the bars would be adjustable I'm guessing any decent spring/strut combo would be good, and the H&R Cup Kit has had great reviews....

Old 10-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
rkneeshaw

Alright, Im back after some fresh research.

Should I go with coilovers or a spring/strut kit. I'm sure I wont be interested in adjusting the ride height very much, once its set I'll leave it there. So I suppose if I like the look of the H&R cup kit, I should just do that. I would however be sure to get a spring/strut kit that has adjustable shocks. That way on track days I can tighten it up, and for daily commute I can soften it up. Anything else I'm missing why I might want to still go with coilovers?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
You could try the Koni Adjustables (Yellow) if you want adjustable shocks. Heard plenty of good feedback about them but can be a pain to adjust for the rears. The fronts are 8741-1390LSPORT (left) and 8741-1390RSPORT (right). The rears are 8040-1250SPORT/8040-1271SPORT depending I think on ride height. Around $600-$700 for the whole set.
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #9
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Coilovers offer more flexibility and the potential for higher levels of performance than you will get with a spring/shock combo.

Honestly, your goals are a little vague. You really have to decide just how much performance you really want, how important ride quality is, and how much you're really willing to spend. Since you probably don't really know the answers to these questions yet, I would encourage you to start simple. Just upgrade your antiroll bars and see how much difference it makes. If that's enough of a performance gain but you still want to lower a little bit, then just get some good lowering springs. If you find yourself wanting both more performance and a lower ride height, then you can consider coilovers. I guess what I'm trying to caution you against is just going in and making wholesale suspension changes without a very clear understanding of what you're trying to achieve. Otherwise you'll end up spending a lot of money on something you might not be happy with.

EDIT:
Just curious, why are you assuming you'll need a suspension better than what the ZHP offers? The stock suspension is more than capable of handling anything you can throw at it on public streets without endangering others. An antiroll bar upgrade is really all I would suggest unless you're planning some serious track duty. Even then I would encourage you to keep the stock suspension until you developed enough track experience to know why you needed something better.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 10-25-2008 at 10:44 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
mkodama

First I would suggest doing some track events or autocross with your stock suspension. If you can't even get good times with your stock suspension, stiffer less forgiving suspension isn't going to help much.

If you are serious about handling, then an H&R cup kit isn't very good. The shocks kinda lose their damping after a few thousand miles as well as the springs are still kinda soft since they are made more for ride comfort and looks than performance. Most pre-assemble sub $1000 kits are made more for appearances and comfort than handling.

If you want the best of both worlds, get some adjustable coilovers. With coilovers you can corner balance your car, which will give you a slight edge in terms of handling as well as keeps handling the same say if you remove your spare tire and get a carbon trunk or hood. Also with shocks that have adjustable damping, you can firm up the suspension for trackdays or autocross, and then soften everything for the rest of the time you drive your car.

I've also heard plenty of good stuff about the H&R anti-sway bars. These are what you would use to adjust the oversteer and understeer of your car. Making the rear end stiffer will usually cause your car to oversteer more, while making the fronts stiffer will make the car understeer more.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
rkneeshaw

I'll try out the stock suspension and as suggested maybe start with just sway bars. If I decide I'd like to swap springs/struts then it seems the best option is to get a decent adjustable coil-over kit for the benefits stated. I certainly think the ability of the suspension to adjust with the evolution of the car as I mod it is very smart.

Thank you all very much for your inputs.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
eek142

My Ride: E46
Coilovers will provide the best performance since they will have higher spring rates. Get some adjustable damping ones for optimal tuning.

Spring/strut combos (good ones) are sufficient for the street but the springs are still too soft for most track type events.

But be warned when running coilovers with low profile tires and bad roads - if you are not accustomed to a rough ride it may take some time to get used to. Also, expect more rattles and suspension parts wearing quicker if you do not swap out OEM stuff like bushings for polyurethane components instead.
eek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
ModBargains
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 325e & E46 ZHP
To start of with, I recommend going with some good sway bars. Hotchkis are an excellent choice. Once you have those installed and you still feel like you need better performance, I would go with some KW V2 coilovers. They feature adjustable rebound dampening that will be more than enough for track and street use. Let me know if I can help you out with anything.

Hotchkis SwayBars

KW Coilovers

Elliot Goodman|Elliott@ModBargains.com|(714) 582-3330 ext. 8009
We Specialize In:
BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels | BMW Intake
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates!
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote