E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
kevs330schnitzer

My Ride: 330ci schnitzer
M3 suspension on a 330ci

has anyone done it , put m3 shocks and springs on a normal e46, will they fit whats it drive like
kevs330schnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
///Rogu3

My Ride: has M-Style
Yes, they'll work. I have them installed on my car with M3 Tein S-techs.

You'll need to buy M3 strut hats and make sure the arrows are pointed towards the car.

The ride is firmer and there is less body roll...I'm using stock M3 shocks so the ride can be choppy on uneven surfaces but real smooth on an even pavement.

The shocks I'm using only has 6000 miles on it...eventually, I'll upgrade to Bilsteins then the ride should be much improved without the choppiness.

The overall look is incredible with the Teins...nice drop, almost slammed.

Wifey's car is faster....booooooooo

Last edited by ///Rogu3; 10-27-2008 at 07:35 AM.
///Rogu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
The parts will bolt on but it's not typically recommended. You have much better options available in aftermarket products designed specifically for your 330 which weighs a good bit less than an M3.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
The parts will bolt on but it's not typically recommended. You have much better options available in aftermarket products designed specifically for your 330 which weighs a good bit less than an M3.
+1, unless you can get them used for $50-100
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't even do it if someone gave me free parts and installation.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
why not buy aftermarket suspension designed for your car?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
zeshon

My Ride: S/C 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
why not buy aftermarket suspension designed for your car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
And people don't understand weight distribution.

Favorite sponsors
Bavarian Soundwerks | Euro Spec

Mods : Performance : Active Autowerkes Stage 1 C38 New Subframe and TMS Rear Re-Enforcements Upgraded VANOS seals M3 Fuel Baffle KW V2 ZHP Control Arms E60 Short Shifter Sound : Bavarian Soundwereks Stage 2 DICE iPod Link Looks : Replica M3 Mirrors Replica M3 Front Bumper Matte Black Grillz LED Signals
zeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
///Rogu3

Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't even do it if someone gave me free parts and installation.
Haha...stockers FTL!

I paid $60 for a complete M3 suspension with less than 50 miles on it...$160 shipped for Tein S-techs. I DIYed the whole install...definitely a rewarding experience considering how much a shop charges.

I spent $220 for a setup that is far superior to the stock suspension that comes on our cars, which by the way, could easily cost $500+ to replace.

OP, I commute 70-100 miles each day and I can attest that this will be one of the best bang for the buck mods that you'll perform on your ride. I don't track my car but I do enjoy the occasional spirited drive down a nice, winding road. This setup will more than deliver the kind of performance that you can appreciate in day-to-day driving.

It all depends on your situation...if you're on a tight budget, like I was, this is a viable option for you despite what some on the board will say.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rogu3 View Post
Haha...stockers FTL!

I paid $60 for a complete M3 suspension with less than 50 miles on it...$160 shipped for Tein S-techs. I DIYed the whole install...definitely a rewarding experience considering how much a shop charges.

I spent $220 for a setup that is far superior to the stock suspension that comes on our cars, which by the way, could easily cost $500+ to replace.
Well, let's see here. You didn't swap in a completely stock M3 suspension. You used the M3 dampers with aftermarket M3 lowering springs. Not exactly what the OP was asking about. This does, however, solve the main issue of using the stock M3 springs on a lighter non-M car. It's also proof that you agree with me on some level since you turned to the aftermarket for "better" springs. Just curious, why did you spend another $160 for aftermarket springs when you already had the stock M3 springs?

Quote:
I'm using stock M3 shocks so the ride can be choppy on uneven surfaces but real smooth on an even pavement.

The shocks I'm using only has 6000 miles on it...eventually, I'll upgrade to Bilsteins then the ride should be much improved without the choppiness.
Gee, doesn't sound so superior to me... but hey at least it was cheap.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
///Rogu3

Quote:
Well, let's see here. You didn't swap in a completely stock M3 suspension. You used the M3 dampers with aftermarket M3 lowering springs. Not exactly what the OP was asking about. This does, however, solve the main issue of using the stock M3 springs on a lighter non-M car. It's also proof that you agree with me on some level since you turned to the aftermarket for "better" springs.
I answered his question as much as I could from my experience. I never said anything about my setup being completely oem...but all the parts are for m3 applications.

Quote:
Just curious, why did you spend another $160 for aftermarket springs when you already had the stock M3 springs?
I chose aftermarket springs for what they were made for...better than stock handling and a lower than stock stance.

Quote:
Gee, doesn't sound so superior to me... but hey at least it was cheap.
I don't care how it sounds to you...I am simply offering my opinion to the OP that from my experience, riding with my setup, that it is superior to non-m stock. Yes, it is inexpensive and it works for me.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #11
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
I'm using stock M3 shocks so the ride can be choppy on uneven surfaces but real smooth on an even pavement.
Hmmm.... So the ride is bumpy when it is bumpy and smooth when it is smooth?

Not exactly what I'd call a well tuned or impressive performance.
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
///Rogu3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
Hmmm.... So the ride is bumpy when it is bumpy and smooth when it is smooth?

Not exactly what I'd call a well tuned or impressive performance.
It's definitely not a perfect setup...but, IMO, it is better than my stock sports suspension.

OP: if you're still interested in the OEM suspension setup, you can direct you questions and concerns to one of our local dealer reps, Joseph, from Momentum BMW Southwest in Houston.

Here is a link to our local forum in which they performed the m3 suspension conversion on an e46 sedan.

http://forum.bavarianspeed.com/showt...=m3+suspension

Links to pics: http://azkicker0027.multiply.com/photos/album/14

I'm outta here!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
TxZHP04

Quote:
It's definitely not a perfect setup
Ok then, you've proven my point which was:

Quote:
Notice I never said it couldn't be done, only that there are better options.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
what i don't get is, why on earth would you adjust a suspension which has been perfectly set for your car and replace it with something designed for an entirely different car? It just makes no sense at all

Unless you can afford a better setup than your oem (ie an aftearmerkt high quality peice designed for a non-m) leave it as is.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
lol
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:18 AM   #16
kevs330schnitzer

My Ride: 330ci schnitzer
ok guys thanks for your inputs , i saw a few cheap sets on ebay thats all, just wondered if it was worth a try or a waste of money
kevs330schnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote