E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #21
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
Andy sapp...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=614203

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #22
k3nmasters

My Ride: Is A Unicorn!
Send a message via AIM to k3nmasters
I went from an EVO 8 to a 05 S2000 to my 330Ci 5spd and I learned a lot from each.

***Watch Tsuchiya's Drift Bible*** Corny, I know..
As you stated, without a LSD, you have to count on speed and weight transfer. The best techniques for these are the feint (body roll), brake (hard braking), and the lift (throttle off).

My favorite place to apply the lift and brake is the on/off hwy ramps. They usually have a long strip of road for an approach and the bend is equally as long. The lift can most noteably be noticed on a highspeed on ramp in the turn where the bend gets a lil bit tighter midway thru the bend. You'll feel the back end step out and at that point, just cut harder, feather off the throttle, and get ready to counter. Your' best practice should be done in the wet as it's more forgiving.
Once you're into a drift, you can use clutch-kicks to keep the wheel spinning.

It's all about speed on an open diff.

::05' S54 iR 6MT::

Ichishima-San, "Ferraris and Lamborghinis are like women that are great in bed, but not so great at cleaning the house or cooking."
k3nmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #23
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
how the hell can andy sapps car get so much wheel spin with just intake, software, exhaust and headers?
no FI at all?
VillanovaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #24
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillanovaGrad View Post
how the hell can andy sapps car get so much wheel spin with just intake, software, exhaust and headers?
no FI at all?
he has LSD, and i'm pretty sure his car stripped out making it even lighter

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nmasters View Post
I went from an EVO 8 to a 05 S2000 to my 330Ci 5spd and I learned a lot from each.

***Watch Tsuchiya's Drift Bible*** Corny, I know..
As you stated, without a LSD, you have to count on speed and weight transfer. The best techniques for these are the feint (body roll), brake (hard braking), and the lift (throttle off).

My favorite place to apply the lift and brake is the on/off hwy ramps. They usually have a long strip of road for an approach and the bend is equally as long. The lift can most noteably be noticed on a highspeed on ramp in the turn where the bend gets a lil bit tighter midway thru the bend. You'll feel the back end step out and at that point, just cut harder, feather off the throttle, and get ready to counter. Your' best practice should be done in the wet as it's more forgiving.
Once you're into a drift, you can use clutch-kicks to keep the wheel spinning.

It's all about speed on an open diff.
lol i love the drift bible. it was so useful

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #26
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
A stock 325 can get the rear out and hold it with a 3.46 LSD. While it is easier with a lot of power, it's not impossible without it.

Clutch kicking caused my subframe to tear out Had that fixed/reinforced though, so I'm back on it

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #27
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
A stock 325 can get the rear out and hold it with a 3.46 LSD. While it is easier with a lot of power, it's not impossible without it.

Clutch kicking caused my subframe to tear out Had that fixed/reinforced though, so I'm back on it
i always use powerover... clutch kick is for when my slide gets weak and i need to give it a slap in the back ...
VillanovaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #28
Phantom Mark

My Ride: 2001 330i M-Sport TT
I want an LSD for my 320d as well, I can drift it pretty good in the wet but in the dry its pretty useless unless you use lots of sudden weight transfer, a little clip from my last trackday at Cadwell this year when I decided to start messing around

If I can do it in a Diesel and open diff im sure you should be fine with some practice in a petrol ( which yours surely is being an American ? )

Its definately far easier to drift in my E34 525i Sport with the LSD, wet or dry.

If anyone can link to an LSD suitable for my 320d I would be most appreciative.

Last edited by Phantom Mark; 10-29-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Phantom Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #29
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
btw, I do track the car at DE's and such, but its really expensive being a student and all to fork out $500 for a weekend
I'm not sure you're gonna find drifting events less expensive when you factor in the tire budget.

But I've only done racing and DE, never drifting, so maybe they don't go through tires as fast as I think they do.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote