E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #81
sin11234

My Ride: iwntmorHRSPWRthnpsts
Send a message via AIM to sin11234
thanks for the vary necessary DIY.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #82
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Thanks.

I have managed to get a new armrest console and I plan to copy it using carbon fiber. So the radio faceplate location will be somehow molded in the custom carbon fiber console, more McLaren F1 style. Once the initial mold is done, I will be able to mass produce the console too
Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #83
paraklas

So, some updates - software updates. I have installed the new version of Centrafuse. At least 512MB ram required and a good CPU (Celeron 1+ GHz will do fine). Better navigation, microsoft speech included for voice commands, better GUI, integrated bluetooth stack for super stable bt operation. Now the only thing left is to run a microphone from the front to the rear (or use a usb mic) so that I can enable voice commander. Here are some screenshots (green line on top of the screen shows that I have to upgrade to the high performance touchscreen ):

Empty space for custom applications

GPS Navigation: AyAySir USB GPS with Destinator

Coming soon: Radio!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #84
redronin

My Ride: 330ci
looks so unbelievably good. i really like the layout and the graphics on the gps is especially nice
redronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #85
JDMOTO

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Send a message via AIM to JDMOTO
Im planning to do this install, this winter. Right now we just finished building my buddies for his Audi TT. Next will be mine. Great DIY!!!!
JDMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #86
joshboca

My Ride: 2004 330i
how can you connect the pc to the monitor???
joshboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:53 AM   #87
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by redronin View Post
looks so unbelievably good. i really like the layout and the graphics on the gps is especially nice
I think this version also supports custom themes so I might make a bmw based one.

GPS software offers 2D view as well, the voice navigation is crisp and clear, it mutes music when it's going to give a direction and then automatically resumes, can switch between metric/imperial systems, etc etc.

And since it's a computer, you can have whatever GPS software you want on it, PC Navigator, iGo, Destinator etc. (Destinator comes as default).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMOTO View Post
Im planning to do this install, this winter. Right now we just finished building my buddies for his Audi TT. Next will be mine. Great DIY!!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshboca View Post
how can you connect the pc to the monitor???
With an XGA cable - NOT VGA. Long distance VGA cables are prone to interference, specially in a car environment. XGA cables are thicker with better screening (shielding). I have 1x3m XGA extension from carpc [trunk] which ends just below the center console and from there the original cable of the touchscreen is used.

Pending plans:

Radio receiver (centrafuse has a list of supported devices) to have a completely carputer integrated solution.

BT voice commands:
I have successfully paired my HP iPaq 614c WM6.1 phone with centrafuse. Now I need to get a powered mic for everything to work. The original mic from the old Nokia handsfree kit that was installed in the car cannot be used and neither a regular PC mic because of the extra cable length I need (remember soundcard inputs are in the trunk). So I will either get a cheap usb soundcard to put in the front and configure windows to use it only for recording or get a very very good amplified mic.

OBD:
The ebay kit with an ELM327 OBDII - USB interface works perfectly with centrafuse. The major issue is that the OBDII port is located near the gas pedal area and it's not easy to have it connected all the time. Half of the times I will kick the cable out of the plug so I need to fabricate or find a 90 degree OBDII plug - If such thing exists.

More to come!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #88
snbe82

My Ride: '00 328i
Send a message via AIM to snbe82 Send a message via MSN to snbe82
Perfect DIY! I'm planning on starting a project like yours as soon as i get the time and money.

How do you like your monitor as far as visibility in the daytime.. are you happy with that brand?

Also.. I'm trying to decide which route to take with audio. I currently am using the stock headunit with an ipod adaptor. I want to be able to keep my steering wheel controls and I want to keep an ipod hookup for friends that want to listen to hook up. How would you recommend keeping both of these. Should I get an aftermarket headunit and steering wheel control adaptor or should I just get something like car2pc or the such?

For the OBD, is it possible to purchase another female OBD connector and splice into the current one or anything like that?

Anyways.. these are just a few of the questions I've had..

Thanks for taking the time to make such a great diy.. sick setup you got.
snbe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #89
snbe82

Also.. have you ever looked into having some sort of remote feature to boot your computer before you get to the car.. such as when you unlock the car, just to cut back on the wait time a little bit? It has to be possible.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #90
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbe82 View Post
Perfect DIY! I'm planning on starting a project like yours as soon as i get the time and money.

How do you like your monitor as far as visibility in the daytime.. are you happy with that brand?

Also.. I'm trying to decide which route to take with audio. I currently am using the stock headunit with an ipod adaptor. I want to be able to keep my steering wheel controls and I want to keep an ipod hookup for friends that want to listen to hook up. How would you recommend keeping both of these. Should I get an aftermarket headunit and steering wheel control adaptor or should I just get something like car2pc or the such?

For the OBD, is it possible to purchase another female OBD connector and splice into the current one or anything like that?

Anyways.. these are just a few of the questions I've had..

Thanks for taking the time to make such a great diy.. sick setup you got.
I've got the Xenarc touchscreen.. When I got it 2.5 years ago it was the top of the line. At noon or when direct sunlight hits the screen i can't see anything. My other friends changed 3-4 touchscreens since then. I plan to change it with the moded Lilliput which claims to have perfect visibility under direct sunlight. For $600+ I have to think about it twice though.

Most of the aftermarket headunits have Ipod adaptors and BMW steering wheel modules so not an issue. I have the Autoleads version for my Kenwood unit and the original Pioneer steering module for my Pioneer HU. Both work perfectly fine. I can't really help if you are looking to keep the OEM HU.

For the OBD, I have already bought 1 female and 1 male and I made a 90 degree angled extension. When plugged, only the cable shows a bit. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I finish the plugs. Now they look ugly because I used a jigsaw to cut their plastics
Old 12-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #91
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbe82 View Post
Also.. have you ever looked into having some sort of remote feature to boot your computer before you get to the car.. such as when you unlock the car, just to cut back on the wait time a little bit? It has to be possible.
Haven't really thought about it to be honest.

Startup time with 512MB RAM:
4 seconds for the PSU to send ON command to motherboard after 12v signal reveived
11 seconds from bios screen to windows. Not that much time.

There is a Windows XP performance edition, which is basically windows xp pro but with all the themes, drivers, startup crap, twain, etc etc support removed. Just the simplest version of windows. Put that on a SATA hard disk, turn off BIOS time consuming tests and you can have it to boot in less than 10s
Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #92
snbe82

cool! thanks for all the info. starting on mine next week
Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #93
erod225

My Ride: 2003 M3XI
OUTSTANDDDIINNNGGGGG!!!! nice job...
erod225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:57 AM   #94
paraklas

Finished the OBD II extension with 90degree angle. Cost was less than $10 since I bought the plugs from ebay. The female plug came with 10" cable already soldered and the male plug was empty.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #95
snbe82

wow. nice!! i want to do the same thing. any pictures of it in the car?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #96
Sevenevez

My Ride: 325Ci vert
Good Lord, now this install is some dedication
Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #97
broach328

My Ride: is 5 in 1.
Send a message via AIM to broach328
dude. you should put some onboard cameras that are very hidden and be able to record and view them while you drive. sick stuff man
broach328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #98
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by broach328 View Post
dude. you should put some onboard cameras that are very hidden and be able to record and view them while you drive. sick stuff man
I plan to do 2 wide angle cameras; one in the rear view mirror, at the area where the rain sensor goes and one for the rear inside the top center brake light. They will be motion activated when car is parked. Too many hit-n-run drivers these days
Old 01-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #99
tupeu

My Ride: BMW E46
great work, I want to do this too, only I want the pc and the headunit to be in the glovebox somehow or under de passenger's seat, to reduce the cable lenght (and mess , I have somethig else in mind for the trunk)

a question is bothering me, how is the sound quality with the aux-in connection? at high volume and no music does it have the well knoun unwanted rustle sound (a background sound) ??

I have in my mind a bluetooth streaming connection between the PC (bluetooth dongle must have the stereo sound streaming feathure) and the alpine head unit with bluetooth adaptor, this way the sound transfer wil be digital and wireless of course

hope you get the ideea and like it, and tell me if its an alternative to the aux tipe of connection,
thank you and a happy new year

btw, i have an Alpine X200 and want to get my car an Apple Mini Mac that serves as a PC, with Windows Xp on it

Last edited by tupeu; 01-01-2009 at 04:24 PM.
tupeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #100
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeu View Post
great work, I want to do this too, only I want the pc and the headunit to be in the glovebox somehow or under de passenger's seat, to reduce the cable lenght (and mess , I have somethig else in mind for the trunk)

You can put it under the passengers seat. The first aid box makes an ideal pc case in fact. you can tuck everything inside the box but you would have to cut the centre console or uplolstery for the wires! (which are a lot!)

a question is bothering me, how is the sound quality with the aux-in connection? at high volume and no music does it have the well knoun unwanted rustle sound (a background sound) ??
no problems, crystal clear sound

I have in my mind a bluetooth streaming connection between the PC (bluetooth dongle must have the stereo sound streaming feathure) and the alpine head unit with bluetooth adaptor, this way the sound transfer wil be digital and wireless of course
why? to have 1 cable less?

hope you get the ideea and like it, and tell me if its an alternative to the aux tipe of connection,
thank you and a happy new year
I use the line-out of the pc to Aux-In plug of the headunit. that's all

btw, i have an Alpine X200 and want to get my car an Apple Mini Mac that serves as a PC, with Windows Xp on it
not sure about the last one, you want an apple minimac to act like a pc with windows xp?

the minimac is too bulky for under the seat placement, specially when the passenger decides to roll the seat back or adjust it downwards!

Tags
carpc, carputer