E46 Fanatics Forum banner

M54B30 Motor Swap into 323Ci

145K views 105 replies 54 participants last post by  Bimmerclinice_36 
#1 ·
Hey guys well to make a long story short got cut off on the highway did a money shift and bent a valve in cylinder 2(0psi during compression test) So i can get a m54 for a good price with all wiring how hard is the swap and i need to know fast any advice would be VERY appreciated thanks.

-Ray

#2 ·
Well I couldn't find any support on this site but after some research I found out it could be done so I did it. Anyways I have some pictures and can give some info and tips on how its done. Quite a easy swap. Anyways if anyone wants more info just IM me or post here and I'll post more.

#57 ·
My cousine has a 323i (one of the last ones in production) and I have a 330i zhp. I feel like the difference is pretty immense... But I am looking to get rid of my engine and buying a S54. I would offer my M54 but it has 106,000 miles on it. It does get 31 mpg on highway still ;) I don't know how.

#10 ·
Ok well Im at work now so cant post any pictures but Ill get to it either tonight or tomorrow afternoon...

VonGeiss - The motor pulls way harder 55 hp does make a big difference...

ToddInLou - Its guys like you that make me want to post this info. You need NO electronics from the 330 thats right NONE. Even a BMW tech told me im going to have to flash my DME and all kinda crap. I didnt do any of that. They are the same motor I had no plugs left over or anything. But like I said more details to come tomorrow...

-Ray

#12 ·
Hey If you can do it I'm in for the details. I was only wanting to help you out. If so I stand corrected

ToddInLou - Its guys like you that make me want to post this info. You need NO electronics from the 330 thats right NONE. Even a BMW tech told me im going to have to flash my DME and all kinda crap. I didnt do any of that. They are the same motor I had no plugs left over or anything. But like I said more details to come tomorrow...

-Ray

#52 ·
I was under the impression that the 2.3 and the 2.8 were "matching" and the 2.5 and the 3.0 were "matching" in the sense of swappability. When motor parts and exhausts are sold, the 2.3 and 2.8 are always the same parts and the 2.5 and 3.0 are the same parts. If I'm wrong then glad it works but I was thinking it wouldn't.

#26 ·
Hey guys sorry it took so long. Working on the car last week put me behind and I just didn't get a chance to come on here.

The main thing here when you use a 323 as your base you switch the intake manifolds around. So the 323 goes on the 330, and that's the main part other then that its a straight swap. Only hard part i ran into was the SAC(Self adjusting clutch) as I had never dealt with one before. But with the right tools its easy to swap it around. All of the sensors are the same everything plugs right back into place. If you do that right you shouldn't have any check engine lights either. Only problem I ran into now is vacuum leaks. That is due to the brittle plastic lines that they use. I was swapping the motor at 2 in the morning so I didn't have access to the nearest parts place to replace them all. Over all though its well worth the swap as its quite easy. I guess i should right a better DIY for the DIY section but that will come in time! Anymore questions feel free to ask!

Anyways here is a bunch of crappy pics...at the time I wasn't to worried about taking them more at getting my car back on the road!

#28 · (Edited)
Here are some more pics...as you can see the check engine light is on...because i have the MAF disconnected. This is because im getting random misfires...due to bad vacuum lines... but if you clear it on idle its fine...i gotta fix it but im lazy :p also i threw in some springs a cone and the 330 exhaust while i was workin on the car...ps and yes i need to wash my car:(

#32 ·
wow bro very nicely done.. how long did it take to install??

#34 ·
Thanks bro...hmm taking the motor out of mine the first time 6 hours...the 330 was 4 hours and putting in mine was probably 10 hours as i was getting tired by 4-5 in the morning...so progress was moving slowly lol

Good Job :thumbsup:

you only spent $750 for that motor?

I look forward to your diy write up :D
Thanks again...
yeah well i had to drop the motor my self otherwise he wanted 1100 or something plus i dropped the diff for him...i found quite a few m52's in that range locally but only one 330..hence why i grabbed it...

When you were looking for your motor, what did you check for besides mileage? What are some tips in finding a good used motor? Check for leaks etc...?
Id do a compression test...also check the oil...and mainly find out why the motor is out of the car/coming out crashed cars are usually your best bet. if they didn't roll no damage really will be done to them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.