E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Glad the DIY was useful. Still a shame why these things have to break.

malapane hope you get it sorted soon, might want to check the other thread "My door locks are crazy" in the general section
Old 09-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #22
malapane

My Ride: 325i Sport
The "my door locks are crazy" thread is where I found the control module info. My GM5 module is repaired and on its way back to me. When I reinstall it early next week, I will report back with my results. Wish me luck.
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #23
penneyctfc

My Ride: 320 coupe
god dam that was emotional, just spent the best part of the afternoon doing this DIY. well worth the instant results thankyou very much paraklas.
penneyctfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #24
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Nice writeup. The only thing I would like to add is that it is not necessary to remove the bolts for the airbag. Just lift up the rubber mat from the bottom corner and you will have enough access to the railing bolts....
Old 09-29-2008, 04:02 AM   #25
Nabil_Leb

My Ride: 328CI 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
Nice writeup. The only thing I would like to add is that it is not necessary to remove the bolts for the airbag. Just lift up the rubber mat from the bottom corner and you will have enough access to the railing bolts....
+1
Unfortunately I replaced my actuator before this DIY was posted, and I removed the central bolt of the window rail as described in this DIY http://www.e46toronto.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8893
{in 3. It's the left star-like bolt in (2) and it can be removed with a 6mm? socket. Remove the bolt completely (this detaches the window from the rail). Please note this bolt is reverse threaded.}.
But watch out, something fell down inside the door, and it took me another hour of work after i have finished work to find out that there were 3 parts inside that part (see attached picture: in fact it is not my car, I took it from a DIY).
1-a plastic black cylinder, 2- a round metallic piece with a hole in it to fit the bolt, and 3- a rectangular 4x5 cm metallic piece with a rectangular hole in it .
You have to put the black plastic cylinder inside the hole of the round metallic piece, and put all this inside the rectangular hole of the big piece, and put all that inside the piece shown in the picture, with the stripes facing towards you - to inside the car-. Or else you will have your window play when you open and close it, I guess it is on the coupe models only.. so be careful .
Apart from that, all went smoothly and the lock opens and closes like brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	286383  
Nabil_Leb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #26
malapane

My Ride: 325i Sport
Well, I had the GM V module serviced by Scott at www.bmwgm5.com. After a few weeks, it is clear this has been my problem since the beginning. Since the repair, my door locks work 100% of the time. I am so glad I found the "crazy door looks" thread. Thanks Scott!
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
ntltfc

My Ride: bmw
here are my symptoms with my front driver side door (coupe)
can't unlock with remote.
can lock with remote
can unlock manually.

Is this control module problem or actuator?
BTW, my window leaks so can this cause problem?
ntltfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #28
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntltfc View Post
can lock with remote
can unlock manually.

Same as mine. Are the symptoms only in 1 door or both? If both it might be the control module, if isolated in 1 door, the actuator.

If the door leaks water on the actuator then yes it can fail, water + electronics = not good.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #29
ntltfc

My Ride: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Same as mine. Are the symptoms only in 1 door or both? If both it might be the control module, if isolated in 1 door, the actuator.

If the door leaks water on the actuator then yes it can fail, water + electronics = not good.
Only 1 door is doing it. I don't know where exactly it leaks water. Since it doesnt rain that much here in TX, I haven't try to fix the leak yet.
ntltfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #30
SILVERSTARE46

My Ride: BMW 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
This is the DIY section..

Oh yeah.. instant lock/unlock. Everything works as it should now.

When I close the door it locks more ... quietly, in a more "just came out from factory" way. I even noticed that the driver's door locks just a bit faster than the passenger's side. Makes me think the other side actuator is a bit old.
Hello, great efforts and nice DIY pics. Very helpful. I have 2000 323 ci.I have a same problem and I checked actuator on the wab. Every time I checked actuator from any parts shops, thier actual picture of actuator is totally different from what you posted in the DIY. Also notes said fuel tank actualor. Is it the same thing? I am very confusied and can you tell me the part number for the door lock actuator . Also Can I use the same part for driver side as well as passenger side since my both sides are not working ?( I already fixed GM and did not fix the problem. Please help me.
Thanks!
SILVERSTARE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #31
paraklas

The driver's side is different than the passengers side. Price is probably very different from the quotes you got since I live in Cyprus and generally everything is more expensive than the US. For the exact part number, you can go to http://bmwfans.info , put the last 7 digits of your VIN and you can get the correct for your car part number. The fuel tank actuator is a different thing. The images I posted are of the driver's side lock actuator of a 2001 E46 RHD.

Have you checked fuses etc? Does the boot/fuel cap lock/unlock?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #32
k3nmasters

My Ride: Is A Unicorn!
Send a message via AIM to k3nmasters
Just finished! Ughhh how exhausting..

Driverside DIY

GL. Hit me up with questions.

::05' S54 iR 6MT::

Ichishima-San, "Ferraris and Lamborghinis are like women that are great in bed, but not so great at cleaning the house or cooking."
k3nmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #33
e46_molten_silver

My Ride: 2004 325Ci (E46)
I have a 2004 325Ci (Coupe) that I am having trouble completing the same DIY as paraklas due to my outer (left) door handle not opening the door. My inner (left) door handle opens the door fine. The keyfob and the push button (center console) lock.unlock the doors fine. I've isolated it to a cable coming from the outer door handle inside the actual door (if you are looking at it from the bootm of the inside door panel, it'd be at the top, right where the cable connects to the outer door handle and there is a spring). There is a plastic retainer (similar to the one in A below) that pops into a "c-shaped" retainer (just like the one on the actuator in the picture below - A). Apparently this is coming off consistently, not allowing any leverage for the cable to go back to the actuator. Also, I believe the cable is stretched at the actuator point (from A to B in the picture below)where it pulls the lever to activate the actuator. Any ideas?

What would it cost if I were to take it to the dealer and just have them repair it? Would they even stick with my diagnosis? Or is it better to just have the local German auto repair shop fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e46_actuator_02_with cable.JPG
Views:	1207
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	299821  
e46_molten_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 AM   #34
Steve@ASPTuning
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
Great post!!!

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #35
stoneweed1
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '01 330xi 200K miles
Door Locks

Here is my issue:
3 yrs ago, I noticed that in colder weather, the key's button would only open the driver's lock and not the other 3 locks in my 330xi sedan. If I drove for a while with the heat on for maybe an hour and the car warmed up well, all four door locks would open sometimes using the button on the key. These Locks always lock using the button on the key.

These past few months the locks rarely unlock using the button on the key however, they will always lock. To enter I have to manually open the door using the key to unlock the door and to open the rest of the doors, I have to get inside and open from the inside of the car using the latch. I lubricated the driver's side door 6 months ago and for 3 months the driver's side door would unlock and worked all the time, even in cold, although not briskly. Now the driver's side door is back to not unlocking.

In summary, all the doors do not unlock using the button on the key. They all lock using the button on the key. If warmed up considerably, they sometimes all will work unlocking using the button on the key. The center console button to unlock the door sometimes will unlock all doors if the car is warm, and will always lock.

So is it time to replace all 4 actuators? Or is it a General Module problem? Thanks

Last edited by stoneweed1; 04-07-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: additional info
stoneweed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #36
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
can lock with remote
can unlock manually.

I have the same problem now!

GODDAMN U BMW - only 59k millage and my car is falling apart

lol - i have to go through my passenger door to unlock the driver door because i have the lock cylinder removed

going back to a previous service they replaced my door actuator - soooooooooo it must be my control module

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:

Last edited by Born Again; 08-17-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #37
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
Quote:
can lock with remote
can unlock manually.

i have the same exact problem.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #38
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious1 View Post
i have the same exact problem.
From what I've heard from Scott, it's hard to tell with the Coupes. I had him fix the GM5, and that only partially fixed the problem. The real problem was both Door lock Actuators going back. Once I replaced both actuators, the door lock problem was fixed.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #39
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
yeah, i talked to scott this morning. without the carsoft reader, its kind of hard to tell whether is the mv5 or the actuators. right now i'm leaning more towards the actuator since it only affecting my driver side.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #40
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Devious, I want to take back what I said to you about carsoft. I recently bought Carsoft 8.2 and it SUCKS! (Anyone want to take it off my hands?) It does not read out the codes in the GM5 and tell you if it's a relay problem. It gives some useless description like F1: 1 Control Module Failure and it doesn't even tell you the raw fault code number like PA Soft 1.3.6 does. PA Soft 1.3.6 doesn't give any description, but, at least it gives the raw fault codes. If you send me the fault codes I can tell you if the fault codes point to a problem with the door lock relays or not.

I'm planning on building a GM5 fault code reader, kinda like the Peake reader, but, without the old cheesey two digit 7-segment LED display. I'm putting in an multi-line LCD display which will read out the fault codes and a brief description so no need for a printed manual with fault code look up. It will also have built in help. Parts are ordered, I just need to finish reverse engineering the Diag bus protocol, write some code and design a PCB.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote