E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #41
Darinb

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post
On some DIY's I've read, they said to use the T50 torx to loosen both of the tensioners. Does the 8mm hex bit works better vs the T50 for the alternator tensioner?

I was working on my '01 33Ci last night and both are T50s. I suppose it could be different on some.
Darinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #42
SHICKS

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to SHICKS Send a message via Yahoo to SHICKS
The proper way to relieve the tension on the belts is to put a 5/8 or metric equivalent on the hex stub on the tensioner bracket as shown in these pictures and rotate clockwise. No need to remove dust caps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20080920_7584.jpg
Views:	3288
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	285526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20080920_7583.jpg
Views:	3327
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	285527  

Last edited by SHICKS; 09-20-2008 at 05:34 PM.
SHICKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #43
kredden

My Ride: '03 330xi & Alfa's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHICKS View Post
The proper way to relieve the tension on the belts is to put a 5/8 or metric equivalent on the hex stub on the tensioner bracket as shown in these pictures and rotate clockwise. No need to remove dust caps.
Depends on your car I guess. I was going by what the Bentley manual said to do, they say to remove the dust caps on the tension pulley and use that. I went back out and looked and I do have what appears to be something similar to your hex stub, but it is under a cap too (so you still have to remove a cap...), if you look at the beginning of this post at the 11th picture you can see it just above the left hand part of the green arrow pointing to the alt belt tensioner.

I'll try that next time.

Kevin
kredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #44
SHICKS

yea, I see what you are saying. I guess YMMV, but I was happy to find this, as I it seemed a better way. The hardest part was getting the fan off without the "Special Tool".

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kredden View Post
Depends on your car I guess. I was going by what the Bentley manual said to do, they say to remove the dust caps on the tension pulley and use that. I went back out and looked and I do have what appears to be something similar to your hex stub, but it is under a cap too (so you still have to remove a cap...), if you look at the beginning of this post at the 11th picture you can see it just above the left hand part of the green arrow pointing to the alt belt tensioner.

I'll try that next time.

Kevin
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #45
kredden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHICKS View Post
yea, I see what you are saying. I guess YMMV, but I was happy to find this, as I it seemed a better way. The hardest part was getting the fan off without the "Special Tool".
YMMV, exactly, on mine there was no special tool needed, fan just slips out.

Kevin
Old 09-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #46
SHICKS

Yes, the step cars have the clutch fan and the manuals don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kredden View Post
YMMV, exactly, on mine there was no special tool needed, fan just slips out.

Kevin
Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #47
pclaveau

My Ride: 33OCI 2001
Thank you!!!

Awesome post Thank you Kevin!!! Saving me money and time, much appreciated.
pclaveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #48
jbstevens66

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Thanks for the great write up. The list of tools needed is appreciated as I don't have the torx bits. That alone will save an extra trip to the parts store.
jbstevens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #49
Barneyhyphen

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Just a very minor point but....in an effort to allay FTSBCF (first time serpentine belt changer fear), the serpentine belt being discussed here, has absolutely nothing to do with the timing.

The timing in our cars is handled by the timing CHAIN. So, breakage of the serpentine belt will cause problems but will NOT cause any timing problems or valve/piston collision/bendage (technical term).

I'm not even sure that this engine IS an interference engine? Anyone?

BH
Barneyhyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #50
lousylay

My Ride: 02' 325+06' Saab 9-3
can anyone post the routing diagram

Can someone post the routing diagram......my belt broke and is already off....great post!
lousylay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #51
ntltfc

My Ride: bmw
Do you guys clean the pulleys when replacing belts? My pulleys are really dirty with lots of sand in the grooves. Can I just pour some water or something like that.
ntltfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #52
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Service Manual

Hi, I have the Bentley Publishing Service Manual for the 3 Series [isbn 978-083761277-8], but the book in picture # 7 of your DIY looks way more detailed that the one that I have.

Could you please share what book it is & where you purchased it?
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #53
kredden

I've got the Bentley and Haynes manuals. The Bentley is far better but the Haynes often has another way of doing things so I compare the two before doing stuff.

Kevin
Old 11-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #54
kredden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousylay View Post
Can someone post the routing diagram......my belt broke and is already off....great post!
Jeez, just saw this, you figure it out?

Kevin
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #55
kredden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntltfc View Post
Do you guys clean the pulleys when replacing belts? My pulleys are really dirty with lots of sand in the grooves. Can I just pour some water or something like that.
Mine were clean when I replaced the belts but if you've got sand in there I'd get it out as that could do a number on the belt. Not sure if I'd dump water in there but would first try to use a brush of some sort to loosen up the crud and then blow it out.

Kevin
Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #56
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Ah, now that I look closer @ the pic, I see that you have teh two books stacked on top of each other.
Thanks you. I think I will pick up the Haynes as well.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #57
molten330ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci - Red/Tan
My belt broke as well (a/c belt still intact) and I read through this DIY and looked at the photos, but it's not clear to me the precise layout of the belt, does someone have a drawing/diagram of it?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #58
gen247

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombguy View Post
Just to let everyone know, not all of these cars have an electric fan. I just tried doing my belts and got 2 steps into the DIY and couldn't go any further. If you have a belt driven fan you will need a special fan tool or you may possibly be able to use a 32mm wrench and get it off that way. I will be postponing my DIY because I don't feel safe doing it the "ghetto" way.

Just a "heads up" for my fellow DIY'ers!!

Right. Don't rush onto this job if you are not mechanical incline. My manual has a pulley driven fan (attached to the pulley) and also an electric fan/fan shroud. The pulley driven fan needs a special tool (right-hand turn to open) in order to remove the fan from the pulley. Not all manual BMW will look exactly like what the OP show in the pics. Just some additional FYI.
gen247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #59
kredden

Quote:
Originally Posted by molten330ci View Post
My belt broke as well (a/c belt still intact) and I read through this DIY and looked at the photos, but it's not clear to me the precise layout of the belt, does someone have a drawing/diagram of it?
If you click on picture #7 in posting #2 you can see the belt routing if you look closely (at least for a 2003 330xi, I'd assume they are all pretty close if not the same). Here is a really bad sketch of the routing.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belt routing.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	292627  
Old 11-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #60
molten330ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci - Red/Tan
Awesome, thanks dude!