E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
46_coupe

My Ride: is lame
Arrow What Reasonably Priced Sound System to go with Bravia 1080P LCD?

Hey guys, finally biting the bullet and getting a 52" Bravia from Sony. I need a soundsystem to go with it. I'm looking for a STELLAR sound system for a great price.

Brands I Prefer:
-Bose
-Klipsch
-Yamaha

I'm looking for something that supports 1080P, and hopefully around $500.

I'm a pretty big hdtv noob but I've used Klipsch as a computer sound system for years and I LOVE it. My father has always favoured Bose so I would like some feedback from the hi-def fanatics here.

What do you guys think? Do you think I could get a decent sound system for $500?

Thanks

"As soon as you're born, you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" - Cake
46_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
mimalmo

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP 6MT
No. You can get something that makes sound for $500 but, something that sounds good and supports 1080p over HDMI ain't gonna happen. Go look at the Denon AVR1909. 1080p support, decodes newest surround formats found on BluRay AND it sounds good. You will still need speakers to go with it though.

Lastly, Klipsch is OK if you like their sound but, Bose is a joke. Read this from a couple years ago. http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Old 10-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
this system never ceases to blow my mind. i would go with klipsch over denon's sound 100%. dont forget, there is alot of markup on speakers to go see if you can pull your local circuit city on a string for the sale. http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/bundl...bundleId=20278

this system shakes the entire store.

chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
46_coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
No. You can get something that makes sound for $500 but, something that sounds good and supports 1080p over HDMI ain't gonna happen. Go look at the Denon AVR1909. 1080p support, decodes newest surround formats found on BluRay AND it sounds good. You will still need speakers to go with it though.

Lastly, Klipsch is OK if you like their sound but, Bose is a joke. Read this from a couple years ago. http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Wow, thanks for the link! Other than the denon, do you know if there would be anything in the sub $1000 range that would meet my needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
this system never ceases to blow my mind. i would go with klipsch over denon's sound 100%. dont forget, there is alot of markup on speakers to go see if you can pull your local circuit city on a string for the sale. http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/bundl...bundleId=20278

this system shakes the entire store.
I would KILL to have a system like that setup but I dont' want to blow too much money on this multimedia setup since I won't be spending THAT much time using it.

Do you guys think there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between a 1080p supporting sound system and one that isn't? Maybe I'll just get a regular home theatre setup from klipsch?

Here's an Ad I found in my local craigslist for a yamaha sound system (I'm a noob so I have no idea if it's a POS or what, but it's "1080p" and $500):

With its small cube speakers, Yamaha's YHT290B home theatre delivers big sound. It's ideal for home theatre enthusiasts who want true surround sound without sacrificing their living space. The unit has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output that supports up to 1080p high definition video, so you can enjoy everything that high definition technology has to offer.

SPECIFICATIONS
# of Speakers in Package, Including Subwoofer- 6
2-Way Centre Speakers - No
2-Way Main Speakers - No
2-Way Rear Speakers - No
Component Video Input/Output - 3 Inputs, 1 Output
Disc Capacity - None
Dolby Digital EX - No
Dolby Digital Surround Sound - Yes
Dolby Pro Logic II - Yes
Dolby Pro Logic Surround - Yes
DTS Decoder - Yes
DTS ES - No
Frequency Response 30Hz - 25KHz
Front-Panel A/V Inputs - Yes
Headphone Jack - Yes
Hook Up Wires Included - Yes
Included In Box - Speakers, Manual, Wiring
Includes DVD Player - No
Magnetically Shielded - Yes
Multiroom Capability - No
On-Screen Display - No
Preamp Outputs - No
Product Warranty - 2 Year Parts & Labour
Product Weight - 20.6 kg
Progressive Scan DVD - No
Remote Type - Preset
S-Video In/Out - No
Speaker Colour - Black
Stereo Audio Inputs/Outputs - 5 Inputs/2 Outputs
Subwoofer Colour - Black
Subwoofer Power - 100 Watts
Subwoofer Size - 6.5"
System Colour - Black
THX Select - No
THX Ultra II - No
Total System Power, Including Subwoofer - 600 Watts
Video Monitor Output - 2

"As soon as you're born, you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" - Cake
Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
I think you are crazy to have Bose, Stellar, and $500 in the same paragraph.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
mimalmo

Quote:
i would go with klipsch over denon's sound 100%
Uh dude, Denon primarily makes receivers and Klipsch primarily makes speakers. Not sure how you can pick the Klipsch over the Denon when they are two different product categories. That's like saying that you like the picture on the OP's Sony TV better than the picture on your neighbors Samsung DVD player.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
mimalmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46_coupe View Post
Wow, thanks for the link! Other than the denon, do you know if there would be anything in the sub $1000 range that would meet my needs?

I would KILL to have a system like that setup but I dont' want to blow too much money on this multimedia setup since I won't be spending THAT much time using it.

Do you guys think there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between a 1080p supporting sound system and one that isn't? Maybe I'll just get a regular home theatre setup from klipsch?

Here's an Ad I found in my local craigslist for a yamaha sound system (I'm a noob so I have no idea if it's a POS or what, but it's "1080p" and $500):

With its small cube speakers, Yamaha's YHT290B home theatre delivers big sound. It's ideal for home theatre enthusiasts who want true surround sound without sacrificing their living space. The unit has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output that supports up to 1080p high definition video, so you can enjoy everything that high definition technology has to offer.

After 15+ years in the CE industry, Denon is what I own and what I sell.

1080p is only video. Sounded like your original post said you were looking for audio. 1080p is found primarily on BluRay. If you want to see true 1080p on that Sony TV, get BluRay. BluRay not only has the video improvement but, also added Dolby True HD audio and DTS HD Master audio. Within Denon's lineup, the AVR1909 is the first model that can internally decode these new surround formats. Substantial difference? Yes.

Regular home theater setup from Klipsch? Klipsch makes speakers, not receivers. They DO offer a couple of home theater-in-a-box (HTiB) type products but, that's about it.

That Yamaha system on CL you found is exactly the type of system most people buy.

It is a "surround system"
It is an improvement over the sound from the TV's speakers.
It does come from a decent brand (Yamaha)

The problem with HTiB systems for me can be understood with a car analogy.
Take a look at the new Hyundai Genesis. Hyundai likes to compare it to the BMW 550i. Feature for feature it appears to match the BMW. Leather seats - check. Navigation - check. V8 engine - check. You get the idea... Hyundai wants the public to believe that just because a car has as good or better features and performance on paper that it's a better car. Drive the two cars back to back though and it's game over. The BMW is a driver's car and the Hyundai is just a really nice Korean sedan. The same can be said for AV gear. Some very well known brands can check the feature list off but, the actual experience (sound & picture quality) cannot compare to the better brands available.

My advice? Don't try to do it all at once. Build your theater much like you would your car. You can't get every mod the same day you buy your car - right? Start with a good receiver a maybe a pair of bookshelf speakers that can later be moved to surround speakers when you buy the center and front mains.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
chris98891

Quote:
Uh dude, Denon primarily makes receivers and Klipsch primarily makes speakers. Not sure how you can pick the Klipsch over the Denon when they are two different product categories. That's like saying that you like the picture on the OP's Sony TV better than the picture on your neighbors Samsung DVD player.
yeah but i was talking about denon's speakers. hes looking for an entire home theater setup so when somebody mentions denon...im pretty sure they would have meant a denon home theater system, as the op isnt asking what receiver to get.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
mimalmo

Quote:
yeah but i was talking about denon's speakers.
Which Denon speakers? Show me. Those HTiB's that Denon offers? I already addressed those in my post.

www.usa.denon.com

Quote:
hes looking for an entire home theater setup so when somebody mentions denon...im pretty sure they would have meant a denon home theater system, as the op isnt asking what receiver to get.
Most home theater systems include a receiver. Unless you know of some different products that have 5 amplifiers and can switch multiple 1080p sources that I have never heard of before? My recommendation in my first post was to start with a good receiver and then I specifically pointed out that it didn't include speakers.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
AChan10

My Ride: The AWD Foz
just get bose and be happy with it
Old 10-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
AChan10

My Ride: The AWD Foz
ok seriously though...

With the price range you're looking for you won't be able to receive a "stellar" sound system.

Unless you want to buy your home theater separately (I would push you to go in this direction), your best bet is to buy something that all comes in a box (as mimalmo has kindly stated).

As he has stated as well I would start with a receiver first. Get something solid in your price range (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo) and start with two good front speakers. It took me 4 years to complete my system (trying to balance modding two cars), but I am very happy with it. Remember in the end it is what YOU enjoy (because you will be the one who hopefully using it the most). Good luck
Old 10-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #12
46_coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
I think you are crazy to have Bose, Stellar, and $500 in the same paragraph.
Care to recommend any other systems for me in that range? (Prepackaged 5.1 preferred)

Quote:
After 15+ years in the CE industry, Denon is what I own and what I sell.

1080p is only video. Sounded like your original post said you were looking for audio. 1080p is found primarily on BluRay. If you want to see true 1080p on that Sony TV, get BluRay. BluRay not only has the video improvement but, also added Dolby True HD audio and DTS HD Master audio. Within Denon's lineup, the AVR1909 is the first model that can internally decode these new surround formats. Substantial difference? Yes.

Regular home theater setup from Klipsch? Klipsch makes speakers, not receivers. They DO offer a couple of home theater-in-a-box (HTiB) type products but, that's about it.

That Yamaha system on CL you found is exactly the type of system most people buy.

It is a "surround system"
It is an improvement over the sound from the TV's speakers.
It does come from a decent brand (Yamaha)

The problem with HTiB systems for me can be understood with a car analogy.
Take a look at the new Hyundai Genesis. Hyundai likes to compare it to the BMW 550i. Feature for feature it appears to match the BMW. Leather seats - check. Navigation - check. V8 engine - check. You get the idea... Hyundai wants the public to believe that just because a car has as good or better features and performance on paper that it's a better car. Drive the two cars back to back though and it's game over. The BMW is a driver's car and the Hyundai is just a really nice Korean sedan. The same can be said for AV gear. Some very well known brands can check the feature list off but, the actual experience (sound & picture quality) cannot compare to the better brands available.

My advice? Don't try to do it all at once. Build your theater much like you would your car. You can't get every mod the same day you buy your car - right? Start with a good receiver a maybe a pair of bookshelf speakers that can later be moved to surround speakers when you buy the center and front mains.
Fair enough, What I've decided is avoiding the whole blueray/1080p-top-of-the-line system right now, and just get a REALLY solid surround sound system for $500.

Quote:
yeah but i was talking about denon's speakers. hes looking for an entire home theater setup so when somebody mentions denon...im pretty sure they would have meant a denon home theater system, as the op isnt asking what receiver to get.
Yup, I'm not looking to piece together a system....I've decided to just go for a "really decent" system instead of a stellar one since I don't feel like dropping serious money on badboy sound that I will enjoy but thrice a month

Quote:
Which Denon speakers? Show me. Those HTiB's that Denon offers? I already addressed those in my post.
www.usa.denon.com

Most home theater systems include a receiver. Unless you know of some different products that have 5 amplifiers and can switch multiple 1080p sources that I have never heard of before? My recommendation in my first post was to start with a good receiver and then I specifically pointed out that it didn't include speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChan10 View Post
just get bose and be happy with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChan10 View Post
ok seriously though...

With the price range you're looking for you won't be able to receive a "stellar" sound system.

Unless you want to buy your home theater separately (I would push you to go in this direction), your best bet is to buy something that all comes in a box (as mimalmo has kindly stated).

As he has stated as well I would start with a receiver first. Get something solid in your price range (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo) and start with two good front speakers. It took me 4 years to complete my system (trying to balance modding two cars), but I am very happy with it. Remember in the end it is what YOU enjoy (because you will be the one who hopefully using it the most). Good luck
While the 'piecing-together-a-system' is an option...I'd rather just get something I can enjoy right now and then replacing it all together in 3-4years. (I plan on giving this system to a family member at that point anyway)

What do you guys recommend for a surround sound system 5.1 that a non-audio-expert like myself would REALLY enjoy. Will be listening to a lot of music/bassy-stuff on this system along with 'action-flick' movies.

I really appreciate the expert opinions I'm getting here, I love how diverse this community really is!

Last edited by 46_coupe; 10-28-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #13
Dcha

My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
Martin Logans
Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
chris98891

Inexpensive stuff(dunno about quality): http://www.overstock.com/Electronics.../2167/cat.html

Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00'323i View Post
Martin Logans
Whats he gonna do, buy a Martin Logan poster?

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
mimalmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
Whats he gonna do, buy a Martin Logan poster?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
Yamaha > *
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola"

"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f*** the Prom Queen."-John Mason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game
shockin330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
Yamaha > *
now that is funny.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
Old 11-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Onkyo makes a "decent" all in one 7.1 system for around $600. I am sure you can find one somewhere.

I said "decent" as in, way better than your TV, but not nearly as good as it could be. HDMI switching included, though 1080p support unsure about.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #20
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
bite the bullet bro and spend a little money on a sound system. You've invested enough on a nice TV..do it justice by investing in good sound system. Spend some time at your local audio store, and listen to nice setups. maybe this will change your mind about your sound options

The thing is, most of the a/v gearheads will just laugh at your sound budget. Not one of us will be happy recommending you a system for less than $500, cos you know..we really don't pay attention to those. Some of the guys here will spend $500 just on cables alone.

We're better off just telling you to go to your local best buy and pick up the first system that is under $500. It will probably meet your needs. Onecall.com and vanns.com all have great selection of HTIBs (home theater in a box)

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote