E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
femski

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Need advice on muting headunit and integration with on-dash GPS Navigator

Hi folks !

I just installed Pioneer DEH-7000BT headunit in my 2005 3-series and I am very happy with it. Love the bluetooth features, ability to hear phone calls through speakers. Quality of USB/SD player, AUx input audio is superb.

Now I would like to upgrade my GPS Navigator. Currently I am using my Verizon phone and like VZ navigator but unfortunately voice prompt can't be sent through A2DP and I don't want to connect it through Aux port because then BT Headset gets disconnected too.

So my options are:

1. Add a new 5.8" Pioneer AVIC-F500BT on-dash Navigator. Use it as player for USB/BT AUdio too. May be even for Phone if Parott BT is better than Pioner Headunit's BT. Headunit still does Radio and CD but much of it is now unused.

Cons: considerable duplication. Is it too big ? It requires an GD-N500 amplifier to integrate with Radio (mute).

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...px?i=130NDG500

Will adding this amplifier mean that I have to get new speakers too ? Then this is definitely out. Plus I am a newbie and installing a new amplifier seems like yet another project.

2. Get a GPS Navigator with a mute wire option - Headunit has a mute wire. Are there such GPS Navigator out there ? I see Garmin integration unit VIB11 - but it seems bulky and Garmin specific and for a specific model. Also, will mute signal mute everything on headunit including phone if I am talking ? Or just the music ?

Thanks for your advice.

-Sanjay
femski is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
helliott003

My Ride: 2003 325i
i have interest in the pioneer avic-f500bt also- anybody know anything?
helliott003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
helliott003

ive somewhat looked into this and am thinking that the best bet to incorporate the pioneer f500bt is to just connect it to the stereo thru the aux port- im pretty sure the amp for the pioneer gps is for cars witout amps already - so it looks like the only thing you would do is mount the gps somewhere and hardwire the power and plug the aux cable into it- i guess also there is an add-on mic for the bluetooth u could mount somewhere too but i think it should be alright in our quiet cars.

if anybody has seen the pioneer avic-f500bt on-dash gps in person u would know how much of a beast it is- its a monstrosity compared to the other gps lined up at circuit city. so if anybody has a good mounting idea for it please share. maybe on the center vents so its removable and accessible? its too big to be hangin off the side of the dash or the drivers side vent-
Old 12-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
helliott003

can i just see someones gps mounted somewhere?>

Tags
gps, headunit, mute, pioneer, radio