E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
DIY: Center console power outlet

Disclaimer: I am not responsible If you mess up your electronics in your car. I am just sharing what I found works and did to my car. Attempt at your own risk.

This is extremely easy to do, as long as you can turn a screwdriver and crimp a wire. I would rate this at a 2 if a 1 was putting gas in your car.

It took me about an hour and a half to do, It could probably be done in 30-45 minutes.

Items needed:
Wire strippers/crimpers
Phillips head screw driver
Pliers
Scissors
22-18-gauge quick splice connectors ($1.99 @ Radioshack)
Auxiliary 12v Female Cigarette lighter plug-in ($3.99 @ O'reillys)
Small zip ties

Total cost: ~$7.00

Prep work:
The cigarette plug I bought was to plug into a trailer wiring harness, to plug in a spot light or something of the sort I guess. I cut the plug off of the end, stripped the wire back about 1/3", and crimped the appropriate quick splice connector end on the bare wire. Do this for each side. You could skip the cigarette lighter and hard wire your power. I choose the cigarette lighter to be able to pop my euro tray off and plug in a different charger if I get a new phone.

Photobucket

Start out taking your center console apart. Once you get that out of the way, in front of your armrest should be a wiring harness bundled together. This is the pre-wiring for the BMW cellular phone. Cut the tape holding it together.

Photobucket

In the wires, find the purple wire with a white stripe (this is your 12v switched power) and a brown wire (this is your ground wire). It might be necessary to cut some of the black material holding the wires together to get to the wires. Take the appropriate quick splice connectors and and clamp them onto these wires. I pressed them together with pliers to ensure a good connection.

Photobucket

On the cigarette lighter wires, find the positive wire. On mine, it was the one with print. It could be different depending what brand you get. Plug the positive wire into the quick splice connector on the purple/white wire, and the ground into the brown wire.

Photobucket

Turn the ignition to the Accessory On position. Plug in your cell phone/Ipod/GPS charger and make sure its getting power.

Photobucket

I used zip ties to re bundle the wiring harness I pulled apart. This makes it easier when stuffing all the wires in the console.

Photobucket

Now, begin piecing your console back together. I wanted my phone charger to be in the eurotray, which the end of my charger slit through a slit in the back. Depending on what/where you are running, you may need a dremel tool to make a hole for your wire.

Photobucket

Pop your eurotray back in and you are good to go!

Photobucket

The wire can also be tucked away when not in use.

Photobucket

Enjoy!

Last edited by JSanders; 12-08-2008 at 03:30 PM.
JSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
exeye325

My Ride: 2004 325xi
The dude loves smoothies! Good one, I was toying with the idea of wiring in an inverter and putting it in there.
exeye325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
holy crap thats awesome...great DIY!!! do they sell that console in tan color i never seen it
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
nice, i would suggest to solder the connections if you can. if not, then that's fine.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
JSanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by exeye325 View Post
The dude loves smoothies! Good one, I was toying with the idea of wiring in an inverter and putting it in there.
Smoothie King FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
holy crap thats awesome...great DIY!!! do they sell that console in tan color i never seen it
They do, I THINK modbargains used to sell them, if not you can get it from any OEM supplier, realoem.com and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
nice, i would suggest to solder the connections if you can. if not, then that's fine.
You could solder them if you wanted to. Personally, I hate soldering. These quick splice connectors were a much easy alternative for me.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
sillieidiot

lol i'm the opposite, i hate the connectors. over time they loosen up then you have to go redo the job again.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
JSanders

That sucks. This is the first time I've used them. I guess when that happens I'll have to try and solder it together.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
CzarStav

My Ride: 2004 325ci
DIY: Center console power outlet

Noice. I will be doing this in some sort of fashion. Great DIY!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
Saj

My Ride: 320D
any point in putting an inline fuse for the power wire?
Saj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
Hell yeah!

This is a great DIY
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
CzarStav

My Ride: 2004 325ci
No, the phone charger has a build in fuse already.
CzarStav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
LABMW13

My Ride: M3, 330i, '89 325i
Very Nice, I've wanted to do this for some time now but wasn't sure how to do it...now i can

M3: SSR GT3 Wheels, H&R Coilovers, JL 12" W6, Eisenmann 83mm, SS Headers, 4.10's, CF CSL Trunk & Diffuser, Euro Front Bumper, Hamann CF front lip, 3000k Fogs, NX 125 Shot
UUC Parts: SSBC Brakes, Lines, Sway bars, 8LB Flywheel, twin disc clutch, Evo 3 Shifter, RK7A Shift Knob, CF E-brake, Rasp-X Mid Pipes
Coming Soon: VRS Vented Race Hood & VCSL CF Roof Panel
LABMW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
Saj

I did it last weekend, for some reason I didn't have the pre-wiring (anyone know why???) so instead I spliced in to the main cigerette lighter cables
Old 12-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
sillieidiot

it could be that your car is a base model? or for european cars it's just different.

do you have a switch for the cigarette lighter? cause power for that is on all the time.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
Zlatty

My Ride: '13 VW GTI
this is fantastic.... i could charge my blackberry and listen to music from it (dice cables are in the eurotray unit) ... well done sir!
Zlatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
JSanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABMW13 View Post
Very Nice, I've wanted to do this for some time now but wasn't sure how to do it...now i can
Let me know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj View Post
I did it last weekend, for some reason I didn't have the pre-wiring (anyone know why???) so instead I spliced in to the main cigerette lighter cables
Does your car have the "Pre-wired for BMW cellular" button in the trunk? I thought all of our cars were pre wired for it. Anyway good to know that there is another way to wire it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatty View Post
this is fantastic.... i could charge my blackberry and listen to music from it (dice cables are in the eurotray unit) ... well done sir!
Exactly my plan for the future!
Old 12-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #17
rorschach

My Ride: '01 318i
It seems that European models are only wired for the accessories/options that you ordered from the factory. None of the "Pre-wired for ..." harnesses are in our cars.
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #18
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Interesting...I was always wondering what that bundle of wires was for.

Great work! I'll have to do this. For something like this, the t-taps should be fine unless you plan on pulling on the wires or something.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #19
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Awesome! Thanks, I'll probably build in a 90W inverter for full Euro Voltage!
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #20
Saj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathchild819 View Post
Does your car have the "Pre-wired for BMW cellular" button in the trunk? I thought all of our cars were pre wired for it. Anyway good to know that there is another way to wire it!
No, dont think i have that button in the truck. I think pre-wiring is a chargeable option on UK Bmw's.

I still need to put a relay and find a "switch" wire somewhere near there, otherwise I could flatten my battery as the ciggy lighting is always "on"