E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
NSXBill

My Ride: Steel Gray 01 325i
Speed Bleeders

Has anyone used Speed Bleeders on the e46? I've used them on other cars with great results. I've only found one reference on this BMW site to them and it said that they heard that they suck...but didn't elaborate.

Here's the site, if you've never heard of them;

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

The site only goes up to 1999 so only has 323i, but says to call for all applications, so I'm sure they make them for all 3's.

I want to bleed my brakes, but wanted some feedback from the e46 community. Is there some reason they would not work? What gives?

Thanks,

Bill
NSXBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
M3_GTR

My Ride: hates driveways

FOR SALE!
M3_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Autobot325i

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
so instead of tunrning a few mm on the nut...you push a pin in it so it can flow...save the $ and turn the damn nut
Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
NSXBill

My Ride: Steel Gray 01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot325i View Post
so instead of tunrning a few mm on the nut...you push a pin in it so it can flow...save the $ and turn the damn nut
Thanks for the response, but you are incorrect.
NSXBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Had them on a non-BMW. Check-ball stuck open on one of them and sucked air back into the caliper as I pumped away, oblivious to what was going on. I don't really care for them. I do bleeds the conventional way, especially after flushes with a Motive.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Seems like an interesting product. I notice the OP bumped one of my power bleeder threads the same day as this was posted.

I like this statement from their website:

Quote:
The old manual way
Bleeding brakes used to be a difficult thing to do in the past. It generally required two people to bleed brakes. You had to have one person pump the brake pedal while you had the mechanic open and close the bleeder screw. You had to coordinate the openings and closings with the pumper. If you didn't coordinate the timing correctly you could end up with more air in the system than when you started.

Alternative ways
Bleeding brakes can be done a number of ways:

You can use a pressure bleeder that attaches to your master cylinder and pressurizes the system. You open each bleeder screw individually to bleed your brakes. It costs about $300.00. It works very well, but who wants to invest $300.00 to bleed one or two vehicles.

A vacuum bleeder is another way to bleed brakes. It attaches to your bleeder screw and sucks the fluid from the master cylinder, thus bleeding your brakes. If not used correctly, it can let air into your brake system. It costs from $30.00-$100.00.
Note the bold... Note the price of the bleeder below (click the pic...)

The check valve concept is awesome, though. The only part of the process that I don't like is that using this as a 'one man' operation, you can't pump the pedal and watch for bubbles at the same time. Pressure bleeding is so incredibly fast, easy, and reliable using one of the bleeders we carry. It also allows for a complete system flush without any more effort than a simple bleed - just leave the valves open longer and make sure you have enough fresh fluid in the canister.

Neat product, though - looks like some big time engineering went into those.

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken@bimmertools View Post
Seems like an interesting product.....The check valve concept is awesome, though.

The only part of the process that I don't like is that using this as a 'one man' operation, you can't pump the pedal and watch for bubbles at the same time. Pressure bleeding is so incredibly fast, easy, and reliable using one of the bleeders we carry. It also allows for a complete system flush without any more effort than a simple bleed - just leave the valves open longer and make sure you have enough fresh fluid in the canister.

Neat product, though - looks like some big time engineering went into those.

Ken
Ken, the concept is sound, but the execution has some pitfalls. A big one is just as you mentioned, with one-man bleeding its nearly impossible to see whats going on at the caliper.

As for engineering, they are manufactured and marketed by a small machining company outside of Chicago IL. In the beginning, they had lots of teething problems, mostly due to off-shore sourced bleed nipples. This caused leakage due to minor variations in size and lack of QC. Also, their maching processes weren't as refined, but now seem to be pretty solid.

Still, call it a bad taste, that I prefer conventional 2-person bleeding, or pressure bleeding with a Motive, I won't use them.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote