E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #61
The Jerk

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
if you had a dvd player with good up converting qualities that the picture was as good as blue ray.
I used to be this way. I was content with 1080i & upconversion. But it was only optimal on certain films. Older discs still looked doctored.

Once I viewed Blu-Ray on my Uncle's 1080P system, I was hooked. I could see individual hairs on actors from a 70's movie!!!

The price came down to $150 on the players & I jumped in. Now, there is no going back. With the price breaks, I suspect the platform will really start to take off now
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #62
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Once I viewed Blu-Ray on my Uncle's 1080P system, I was hooked. I could see individual hairs on actors from a 70's movie!!!
70s movie, eh. Ahem, what type of hairs? Hmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #63
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I used to be this way. I was content with 1080i & upconversion. But it was only optimal on certain films. Older discs still looked doctored.

The price came down to $150 on the players & I jumped in. Now, there is no going back. With the price breaks, I suspect the platform will really start to take off now
Cool, thanks.

I found these remarks in slickdeals and thought someone might find them useful. It was basically the same question as the OP.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...id=0&t=1063048

PS3 Disadvantages:

1) Uses a lot of watts and puts out too much heat just for playing a Blu-ray.
2) Doesn't have 7.1 analog outputs to send HD audio to older receivers without HDMI
3) Causes a buzzing sound with some receivers
4) Doesn't have manual audio lip sync adjustment which may needed with older receivers
5) Doesn't support bitstreaming all formats
6) Can be more physically noisy when fans start up during movie
7) Doesn't look as nice as a dedicated Blu-ray player
8) Costs more than some very good dedicated Blu-ray players (see below)(or you need to sign up for some credit card to get a better deal, which I recommend avoiding.)

Panasonic BD35 Disadvantages:
1) Doesn't have manual audio lip sync adjustment which may needed with older receivers
2) Doesn't have 7.1 analog outputs to send HD audio to older receivers without HDM

Sony BDP-S350 Disadvantages:
1) Doesn't have 7.1 analog outputs to send HD audio to older receivers without HDM

Sony BDP-S550 has:

1) HD decoding of all formats and bitstreaming capabilities
2) Manual adjustable audio sync
3) 7.1 analog outputs (of all decoding formats)

Panasonic BD55 has:

1) HD decoding of all formats and bitstreaming capabilities
2) 7.1 analog outputs (of all decoding formats)
3) Slow motion / frame control
4) Outputs DVD at 24p (see review I linked

The reply :

) Yes it uses more watts than your average BR player and therefore puts out more heat. Heat is a negligable issue for the vast majority and the extra watts is even less. Have you done the math? If you watch a movie every day it is still pennys a month difference.

2) This can be an issue for some people. Not the OP but you have a point here.

3) Don't know much about this issue so I can't comment. The fact that I haven't heard of it means it must be affecting a very small percentage.

4) Could be an issue. Although I can't remember the last movie I saw that needed any adjustment.

5) So ... in some cases you won't see the little light on your receiver? How is this a problem? PS3 internally decodes and sends via HDMI.

6) Can be if you have a defective unit or you're in a hot room. This was an issue with the 90nm cell which hasn't been in production for a long time.

7) Some people might find it more attractive but this could be an issue.

8) If you want a PS3 the Sony promotion is great. The effect on your credit is negligible unless you have borderline credit in which case you won't get approved anyways.

You missed a couple of disadvantages.

1) Won't fit into standard rack space.

2) No IR build in for universal remotes.

There are some signifigant advantages.

1) Fast start-up and disc loading.

2) Fast handling of ff/rw and chapter skipping.

3) Handles java heavy discs easily.

4) Well-supported by Sony with firmware updates that are easy for even the average Joe to do. (This one is big - Bluray is an evolving format and many non tech savy people might have trouble updating firmware of other players)

5) Very good Blu-ray disc picture quality.

6) Can decode and send lossless audio. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio in case your reciever can't decode them.

7) Can stream media wirelessly from your PC.

8) Plays games. OP didn't mention it but when I got my PS3 it was for the media and now I have found several games I enjoy.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #64
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
Maybe Apples and Oranges but I am in the market as well. Got a xbox 360 and besides all of the functionality the sound when that fan gets roaring is dreadful. Actually looking for a cabinet to enclose it in. On another point, the 60 gb HD and the additional features, i.e. dvd capabilities, wireless network, video streaming makes up for the fan. If I could do it over again I would have asked her for a PS3 and a remote and called it a day.