E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
How to set adjustable front sway links

I have UUC sways and I did the homemade adj front sway links from the UUC tech site. Have bilstein PSSs set to the highest height setting.

So how do I determine the optimum length?
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
CRSmoak

My Ride: 2000 328i
If you have ramps use those if not then jackstands will do. Then adjust both side until you have the clearance you want. After that, adjust one side up and down until you notice the least amount of tension on the sway bar. Tighten it and your done.
CRSmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
bigjae1976

So basically the optimum length for the sway bar link is the one that places the lease amount of preload on it?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Preload under what conditions? Empty car? Car with driver? It makes a difference but, IMHO, is really only a concern in competitive track environments.

Of more significance to you at this point would be adjusting the links so that the ends of the sway bar are roughly parallel with the ground and making sure the bars don't touch any other suspension components (eg, links too long can cause the ends of the bar to bump the control arms).
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
You don't want to get into weights and all this bologne with a street car. Just jack the whole front of the car up, take off your wheels (so that it's easier to get to the adjustment nuts), shorten the links as much as possible (or enough to clear the control arm, as TxZHP04 said), and adjust one side until you can turn the adjustment nut with your fingers about 1/2 a turn. You might have to go back and forth between each side slightly, but it shouldn't be a hassle. Once you're there, there's zero pre-load and you're good to go.

If you're still a bit iffy about it, call up Turner Motorsport and ask them to email you their end-link installation guide. It's pretty comprehensive and easy to follow

Last edited by FTWeisse; 12-15-2008 at 02:11 PM.
FTWeisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
Once you're there, there's zero pre-load and you're good to go.
Negative, there only way to set zero pre-load is with the suspension weighted(word?). Drive the front of the car up on ramps, and adjust the endlink(s) from there. Theoretically the pivot point of the sway bar, the endlink attachment point on the sway bar, and the endlink attachment point on the strut should make a 90* angle. But on a street car it really doesn't matter, as long as it's roughly close to having the endlink vertical and the swaybar horizontal.

Last edited by vaio76109; 12-15-2008 at 02:47 PM.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
Negative, there only way to set zero pre-load is with the suspension weighted(word?). Drive the front of the car up on ramps, and adjust the endlink(s) from there. Theoretically the pivot point of the sway bar, the endlink attachment point on the sway bar, and the endlink attachment point on the strut should make a 90* angle. But on a street car it really doesn't matter, as long as it's roughly close to having the endlink vertical and the swaybar horizontal.
Good call, specifics are always important.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
CRSmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
So basically the optimum length for the sway bar link is the one that places the lease amount of preload on it?
Generally yes, just do what i wrote. Some of the other stuff stated above is really neglegable on a street car.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #9
bigjae1976

So I should set the length of the endlinks so that the endlink is close to vertical and about 90 degrees to the swaybar which should be horizontal.

Thanks, I think my question has been answered.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
CRSmoak

You want to adjust the length so that the sway bar clears everything other than that don't worry about it.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 AM   #11
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Just to be clear on the easiest way: Remove both endlinks. Set one endlink at the correct length and install it. Install the 2nd endlink to the strut and tighten it. Adjust the length to where it slides into the swaybar easily, tighten.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote