E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Bulldogmike

My Ride: M3 2004 Convertible
Vorsteiner hood on M3 - fitment issues

Looking for some advice....

I have an M3 Vert e46 2004. My installation shop is having issues with fitment including -

the Front kidney grills.
The washer grill
the front stabilizer strut bar.

I am told by Vorsteiner, and the vendor that sold me the hood, that the front grills need GLUE (Silicon) to attach them to hood? and that the other grill (with the windscreen washers) needs modifying (sanding) before it can fit in the hood... and THEN it also needs Glue to attach?

So - any of you fellow Vorsteiner folks give some advice - confirm how to install and any trick and tips. basically my installers are now refusing to install the grills as they dont want to apply glue to the hood. (a fair position I think).

Also - I have the Agency power bar strut under the hood. But... the Vorsteiner will not close with it on!? I (think) I may be able to angle the bar (so that it follows the line of the hood) and that may work.. but.. again.. the shop wont do this in fear of damage to the hood. Any advice? i.e.. do I need to go back to an OEM strut bar?

If ANYONE can help... as unfortunately... the manufacturer have not been a tremedous help, and the body shop have told me to remove the car tomorrow (without the grills in place). - so obviously I will have to install them myself. Note - I am in the Orlando area, in case someone knows how to fit them or can recommend an installer.

thanks
M3 SMG Vert, with OZ wheels, and genuine Schnitzer ground effects, diffuser, suspension & pedals, Halos, Stop Tech brakes and rotors, carbon emblems, blacked out grill, Gruppe M, AFE intake, Carbon fiber interior, stealth bulbs, Projector Fogs, Strobes, Xenon interior lights.
Bulldogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Wait, Vorsteiner said to glue the kidney grills on? Was that a joke? Who sold you the hood?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Bulldogmike

Nope - no Joke.... I have spoken to Mike Tran at vorsteiner at length (folks feel fre to call him to confirm).... And ...yes,... VORSTEINER make it very clear that I need to use an expoxy glue on all the grills in order to attach them to the car. Apparently the clips on the OEM set up doesnt work on the carbon fibre (I assume due to thinkness). SO.... as mentioned - and it appears in some earlier posts... YES -vorsteiner sent me directly from California and Vorsteiner have stated that the grills are indeeds 'glued' (expoxied) onto the car!...plus - as mentioned... the washer grill is in fact not going to fit unless I take a dremmel to it...

Im with you... I was shocked... especially having all the work done on the car.. plus the cost of the hood... but.... that's just the way it is.

Vorsteiner... perhaps a little more research and user friendliness in the product...

And... perhaps... TELL THE CUSTOMER about these things prior to selling the item!

Mike
M3 SMG Vert, with OZ wheels, and genuine Schnitzer ground effects, diffuser, suspension & pedals, Halos, Stop Tech brakes and rotors, carbon emblems, blacked out grill, Gruppe M, AFE intake, Carbon fiber interior, stealth bulbs, Projector Fogs, Strobes, Xenon interior lights.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Slick-Vic

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Tiag
Wow thats rediculous and unheard of. I've never heard about anytype of glueing involved for the grills and washer grill by vorsteiner you would think for the price they should have that figured out? Whats the point of having a CF hood if you can't put everything else that is suppose to go on it?

Hope everything works out bulldog...someone on here should be able to confirm this.

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Slick-Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Bulldogmike

Thanks - I will try tomorrow to get the parts mounted. Neither Vorsteiner or the vendor are quick to respond with support or assistance, and the shop refused to do any work to the hood today..... so... I have the car back with a pile of parts to add myself. this includes

1. the kidney grills.. which vorsteiner admits needs 'expoxy'
2. the washer gril.. that needs sanding and expoxy
3. I had to remove my agency power strut.. as it wont allow the hood to close!. and.... (another little gift when I picked the car up..

The hood emblem can not be mounted on a vorsteiner... as the holes on the hood for the emblem are not drilled out... so I dont no whether I can drill small holes for the emblem or.... whether I cut the posts of the actual emblem and 'expoxy' this too!

anyway - ..... I have had a hideous... and 4 month journey with this saga... including... them sending a broken hood, then the worng hood... and now this!

should have stuck to OEM!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
bigjae1976

Something must be wrong because if it took all that to mount a $1k+ hood, people would be b1tching endlessly and everyother thread here would be about this topic.

I haven't heard such issues with hoods from Euro Spec and they are in the replica business.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
Bulldogmike

Actually - If you look on M3 forum there are some serious threads with compliants about the same issues of fitment, including expoy on the grills, dremeling the washer grill... etc. I wish I had done my reach prior to forking over the money. its been 4 months... and I now have the next few days to try to take care of this myself. As said - anyone wanting the full story... feel free to speak to Mike tran at vorsteiner.....
Old 12-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
bigjae1976

Damn. I almost bought a hood from them. I hope there aren't these issues with their trunk lids and diffusers.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #9
patdeezy

My Ride: a grey e46 sedan
Send a message via AIM to patdeezy
you can either use double sided tape or you can glue on your kidney grilles in.

as far as the washer grill goes... it should just snap into place? that's how mine is installed... it just snapped into place

again with aftermarket parts... there are some times when a little dremeling or sanding is required to get the perfect fitment you are looking for.

REALIE CLUB 2007 - I'M KEEPIN IT REAL!

SPONSORED BY
|SGC Godfather|
KOBE in 2012
patdeezy is offline   Reply With Quote