E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2002, 11:14 PM   #1
Bimmer4Life

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i Sport
Question about PIAA bulbs for fogs?

I was looking through the Bavarian Autosport catalog and came across some PIAA bulbs for my foglights. I was wondering whether or not these would be a good choice, as far as superior lighting and good color matching with the Xenons?

Here is the list of the choices:

Xtremewhite Plus/XTRA 9006, 51w
Superwhite/XTRA 9006, 51w

Will either of these lights provide better lighting than the stock bulbs even though they are rated at 51w and not the 55w that I have heard the stock bulbs are? The article states that the Xtremewhite bulb is equivalent to a 115 standard bulb and the Superwhite is equivalent to a 100 watt standard bulb. They also have a 9005 series in both styles that are rated at 60w and are stated as being high beams. Are these compatible with the 9006?

Also, how well will they complement the Xenon headlamps? I want the brightest bulbs possible, so if I were to go with these, it would be the Xtremewhite version. They are listed for $79.95 a pair.
Bimmer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:39 AM   #2
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

My Ride: Formerly:2002 ACS M3
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
I have the XTreme White 9006s. They are definitely whiter than the stock ones, which are very yellow. Last I checked, they weren't an exact match, but I never really let my Xenons warm up enough to reach normal operating temp.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:05 AM   #3
ssabripo
Say hello to my lito fren

My Ride: 330ci RIP-->('04 X5)
Send a message via ICQ to ssabripo Send a message via AIM to ssabripo Send a message via Skype™ to ssabripo
PIAA super plasma which are 5000K are actually the ones that match best

The OEM xenon's are 4300K, but are very white, and I have used the lumikos and Eurolite's (both rated at 4300K) and they do NOT match exactly...they are better than stock but still yellowish.

The 5000K will definitely looks whiter, thus macth the xenons.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:25 AM   #4
DIBA330CI

My Ride: 2001 E46 330CI
Send a message via ICQ to DIBA330CI
Quote:
Originally posted by ssabripo
PIAA super plasma which are 5000K are actually the ones that match best

The OEM xenon's are 4300K, but are very white, and I have used the lumikos and Eurolite's (both rated at 4300K) and they do NOT match exactly...they are better than stock but still yellowish.

The 5000K will definitely looks whiter, thus macth the xenons.
Don't tell me you got them already!

My impression is the Super Plasma is a little Rainbow-ish. But still brighter than any other 9006 bulb out there.
DIBA330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:29 AM   #5
ssabripo
Say hello to my lito fren

My Ride: 330ci RIP-->('04 X5)
Send a message via ICQ to ssabripo Send a message via AIM to ssabripo Send a message via Skype™ to ssabripo
nope

not yet....but they are on their way...my friend has the Super Plasma H4 bulb on his eclipse's fogs, and they look exaclty like my xenons!
Old 06-21-2002, 11:53 AM   #6
DIBA330CI

Re: nope

Quote:
Originally posted by ssabripo
not yet....but they are on their way...my friend has the Super Plasma H4 bulb on his eclipse's fogs, and they look exaclty like my xenons!
H4 has so many more bubls than any other bulb...
Piaa's Super Plasma GT-X is probably the best bulb out there. But it is only for H4 application. It is so like the Japanese to do that to the rest of the world.
----
Super Plasma GT-X - The newest from PIAA (Japan) & is our exclusive. Termed as the 'next generation Super Plasma' & is actually 30% brighter than Super Plasma GT! The 5000K temperature (ie: bluish / purplish color) is engineered to resemble the color output of Porsche & BMW HID.
----
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piaagtx.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	5720  
Old 06-21-2002, 07:45 PM   #7
Bimmer4Life

Re: Re: nope

Quote:
Originally posted by DIBA330CI

H4 has so many more bubls than any other bulb...
Piaa's Super Plasma GT-X is probably the best bulb out there. But it is only for H4 application. It is so like the Japanese to do that to the rest of the world.
----
Super Plasma GT-X - The newest from PIAA (Japan) & is our exclusive. Termed as the 'next generation Super Plasma' & is actually 30% brighter than Super Plasma GT! The 5000K temperature (ie: bluish / purplish color) is engineered to resemble the color output of Porsche & BMW HID.
----

Hey, DIBA330ci, where can I find those kind of bulbs? If you could hook me up with a link I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:34 PM   #8
DIBA330CI

Re: Re: Re: nope

Quote:
Originally posted by Bimmer4Life

Hey, DIBA330ci, where can I find those kind of bulbs? If you could hook me up with a link I would greatly appreciate it.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com//showth...0807#post90807
Old 06-22-2002, 12:07 AM   #9
Bimmer4Life

Re: Re: Re: Re: nope

Quote:
Originally posted by DIBA330CI

http://forum.e46fanatics.com//showth...0807#post90807
Thanks for your help!