E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
andrew_nz

My Ride: 2000 323i
Question 2000 323i electrical bug

I've been having a strange electrical problem with my 2000 323i since I bought it a few years ago. I checked on this forum back then and found a few posts with the same symptoms, but nobody ever solved the problem. I've just gotten used to the problem now, and it isn't that big of a deal really, but now I want to sell the car before I move, and I'd like to have it fixed. I think somebody might be weary of buying a car with start up problems, even if they are minor. If anybody knows what's wrong or can point me to an old thread about it that would be great.

Here's the symptoms:

When I turn the key, sometimes the start up dash light routine won't come on, only the seat belt light. When that happens, if I try to start the car, the engine will crank and crank but won't start up. All the other electronics (radio, headlights, windows, seats, ac) work great, just the car cranks and won't start if that dash light routine doesn't come up.

Then if I turn the key a couple more times until the lights come on, the car will start right up no problem at all. It's not the key, I bought a new one and both do the same thing. Mostly it's just annoying because I have to turn the key so many times to get the start up routine to come up.

Then, just a few months ago it started doing some other strange things. Sometimes, the car will start up great and then a couple seconds later will just die. When I restart it, it starts up and runs no problem.

Also, twice while I've been driving around town, the car died suddenly, all the dash lights went off, and then it just came back on. That one is a little scary I can tell you.

I figure it might be something with key security system that isn't recognizing the key, but I'd like to know what you guys think. I haven't had it in to a dealer to read the codes, because the previous threads with the same symptoms said the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong and they spent a bunch of money for nothing. If you guys have any ideas I'd be tickled to hear them.

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited by andrew_nz; 08-13-2008 at 06:40 PM.
andrew_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
MSumners

My Ride: 323Ci
Same problem. Any progress on this?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
andrew_nz

Nothing yet, sure wish I knew what was going on though. Best I can tell it's a short or something in the key security system. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

Andrew
andrew_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Latinbear4

My Ride: Black 323i
Send a message via AIM to Latinbear4
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_nz View Post
Nothing yet, sure wish I knew what was going on though. Best I can tell it's a short or something in the key security system. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

Andrew

Hello.. I am having similar issues with my 2000 323i. It is so irritating. My issues is as fallows. Sometimes the dash lights wont come up except for the seatbelt light which stays on even is i click the seatbelt. Non my steering wheel controls work and the radio doesnt turn on. Thank god the engine always cranks. I have a feeling it can be the electronics that run under ACC1( one turn of the key) but i have not had anyone else mention anything to confirm it. Then while i am driving whenever it feels like it seatbelt light will go off airbag light will come on for a sec then off. and then radio will turn on. If you got a fix for this please let me know. Thanks!
Latinbear4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
whoami

My Ride: E46 323IA, E92
hmm, never had any of the symptoms stated..

i duno
whoami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
Is not a bad ignition switch? Sounds like it to me...
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #7
revell112

Any updates on this... I think I might have the same problem with my 00' 323i
revell112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
Bmw440

My Ride: 2000 323i, 2001 528i
Send a message via AIM to Bmw440
From what i have been reading, it could be a bad ignition switch. or the tumbler on the ignition switch, it supply voltage to all the electrical components.

Last edited by Bmw440; 12-16-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Bmw440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
pyro225

My Ride: 328ci
I had a similar issue in my 328ci and it was the ews causing it not to start - i ended up buying a new ecu ews and key set now its fine
pyro225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
Latinbear4

Quote:
Originally Posted by revell112 View Post
Any updates on this... I think I might have the same problem with my 00' 323i
I think I found the problem I was having. Make sure that the connection (red wire) to your alternator has not gotten loose due to engine vibration. Make sure you are getting good contact between alternator and red wire. The easiest way to get access to the wire is by removing the air filter cabin. very simple.. Also check that your rear plate bulbs are working fine...let me know if this stopped the problem for you as well. Good luck.

Last edited by Latinbear4; 12-17-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #11
mechanic_101

My Ride: 2005 325I
your problem sounds like ignition switch. Get a used one on ebay and try it out.
mechanic_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
methemandus

My Ride: e46 323ise
any update on this i got same prob
methemandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
Latinbear4

Quote:
Originally Posted by methemandus View Post
any update on this i got same prob
I think I found the problem I was having. Make sure that the connection (red wire) to your alternator has not gotten loose due to engine vibration. Make sure you are getting good contact between alternator and red wire. The easiest way to get access to the wire is by removing the air filter cabin. very simple.. Also check that your rear plate bulbs are working fine...let me know if this stopped the problem for you as well. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
kbracken

I had a similar issue a few months back but instead of it happenin periodically it just happend out of nowhere. I had driven to work one morning and when I left to go to lunch, nothin. Everything turned on like you guys are sayin but it would not crank at all. I called the dealership and they told me that my key had gone bad so I ordered a new key ($185 my cost). That was on a Wednesday and they told me that if I ordered the key that day before 2:00pm that I would have it Friday so we pushed my car into the shop at work and there it sat. Friday came and they said that the key didn't show up and that it would be Monday before I would get my new key so I got frustrated and took my key apart. Well my key didn't go bad but the chip inside had moved too far back (away from the key cylinder). I had adjusted the chip and moved it closer to the key cylinder inside the key and put the key back together and it started right up. I have never had another problem with that key again, now I just have two keys that work. Don't know if that is the same thing with your guys issues but I thought I'ld let you know what my issue was and see if maybe it helps you out. Hope it helps.

19" Rims, One-Piece Projection Headlights, 10000K HID Kits on Low Beams and Fog Lights, Clear-Smoked Side Markers, Debadged, Custom Audio/Video System
kbracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
methemandus

cant be the key same with all three
Old 05-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
Phantom_Tulaba

My Ride: pure Hotness
So did this turn out to be alternator related with the loose wire? Also, what did the rear plate lights come into play with this? lol...

Phantom_Tulaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
methemandus

fixed it

all sorted ignition switch after all 2 min job no more problems

Tags
323i, dash lights, electrical, problem, starting