E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2003, 07:01 AM   #1
daz

My Ride: 2003 Bmw Coupe 330ci
Send a message via AIM to daz
Infinity Kappa 100.3dvc 10" DVC Subwoofer

I am thinking of getting the following sub Infinity Kappa 100.3dvc 10" DVC Subwoofer and having a box made. Do not need super pimp bass.

I was thinking of driving it with the following AMP.

Audiobahn A2002T $189

OR

Audiobahn A2201T

What do you guys recommend....

Current set up.. Audiobahn 460IT 75wx 4 -4ohms

Audiobahn componets up front ABC525T
Audiobahn mid drivers in the rear deck.

Just need a little bit of kick.

Comments would be apreciated..

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:52 AM   #2
SST

My Ride: 325i
DAZ,

I've got a 325i sedan and I'm using the Audiobahn ABC6002 6.5's in the front doors. These are strange speakers. They sound good on certain types of music and odd on others. The components have detail that is quite surprising. I found that they sound best with NO X over from the amp.
I am using a Rockford 851X that is 110watts X 4.
The think I don't like about the Audiobahns is their X over points. The tweeters are doing too much. The X over is set too low and it doesn't allow the mid woofers to handle the upper register of the mid tones and thus even though some music sounds great with amazing clarity, there is a "harshness" to some of the vocal mids as they are being recreated by the tweets rather than the mid bass drivers or a better blend.

Anyway, the sub and bass problem is that BMW has a very nicely sealed and very quiet trunk setup. I have 425 watts rms running into 2 10" subs and the trunk is FULL of deep bass tones. If you open the trunk and put your head close enough you'll feel your brain start to squirm and shimmy. But, once that trunk is closed the bass is almost cut to 1/10th what is actually in the trunk. I'm removing the 6.5 stock speakers in the deck as that trunk NEEDS open access to the interior or there will never be great bass sound as it will always sound muted and distant.
Also, I'm removing the ski "pass through" panel that is already perforated for removal. Without giving the air a way to transmit the audio vibrations into the cabin, I don't think the sub and bass tones will ever sound correct even with 2000 watts of power. Well, ok maybe, but it still won't sound the same because that much power will simply start rattling the car rather than just moving air. With the 2 10's and the power cranked, the rear of the car's metal is vibrating and making sounds.

TT
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:36 AM   #3
daz

SST.. Thanks for your comments. I have my front compomnets set to full x over at the AMP. You are right that the tweeters to push more high tones than they should. Which seems to drown out the mids. Is there anything I can do to the cross over to help this. Do you think turning on the bass boost will help?

You are right our trunks are sealed well. I have the coupe with the folding seats. I do not have the ski pass but . I could drill a series of holes there that would allow the bass to be heard. I was thinking of putting one 10 inch sub in the trunk in a box.

I have mids in the rear deck channel three and four stero. Have the x over on the amp set to full. I was thinking to hook these up in parallel and setting the x-over to LPF to get more bass. If I set the x-over on the amp to LPF when the speakers are hook up in stereo. They sound like crap. Any Idea's..
Old 07-09-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
SST

My Ride: 325i
LPF is ONLY for bass and sub. Do not use LP on the components.
On my 6002's they sound better when the x over is set of full pass which means NO cut anywhere. The front components are getting the full signal.

You 5.25" speakers may not be able to do as well with the low frequencies.
Try setting the x over on the amp to HP (high pass). This allows only the upper frequencies through to the speakers. Depending on you amp you can then adjust the x over point which is normally between 40/50hz through
300/400hz. If you set the x over to "high pass" and the adjust it to
70hz, then only frequencies above 70hz will be allowed to pass through.

For subs you want to use "LPF" or low pass. That too has an adjustment as to which frequency will be the cut off. Thus, setting low pass to 70hz will only allow anything from 70hz and down into that sub/channel.

Setting those deck speakers to low pass won't sound good as they are probably too small and not designed to give such low frequency reproduction.
If you were to put 6.5" subs in there, then you will hear a nice boost in bass when set to low pass.

I'm going to look into the Audiobahn x overs and see if I can change out the capacitors and set the x over higher. I have an email to Audiobahn to get information as to where the x over point is set. I'd like the x over to be somewhere around 2500hz and higher so that the mid bass driver can actually used to reproduce more. Right now it sounds like the x over may be set under 2500hz thus allowing too much of the upper most mids to be sent to the tweeters.

Also, I'm looking into a set of ADS cross overs I found on ebay for about $35 for a set. New cross overs might be the answer here. If not, then a new set of components. But, the Audiobahns actually have some amazing clarity.
They reproduce things that many speakers miss. They have a very good accuracy but the issue is the x over at this point. Proper x overs may be the answer.

In my sedan the trick is to remove the rear deck speakers. That way there are 2 holes to the trunk for the air to move through. Bass is now MUCH improved and I can get a nice kick from the single 10" sub when the x over is set correctly for the sub and front components.

If you have folding seats, then just put one of the seats down and let that sub work it's magic.
If you don't have a sub then GET ONE! You'll love it.
1 10" should work nicely but go with a 12" and then be done with it. It'll sound awesome.

I don't use the rear speakers as I don't like the way rear speakers ruin the sound stage and spacial imaging.

TT
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:58 AM   #5
daz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SST
[B]LPF is ONLY for bass and sub. Do not use LP on the components.
On my 6002's they sound better when the x over is set of full pass which means NO cut anywhere. The front components are getting the full signal.

You are correct the Audiobahn mid drivers in the rear deck with the x-over set to LPF sound like crap! With the X-over in full they sound ok. I have ordered a 300watt mono Amp and the Infinity 10 inch sub. As you know our tunks are sealed good. I was thinking of drilling holes in the ski pass location creating a kind of grid of holes to allow the bass to move freely. I was also thinking of reducing the gain on the Audiobahn mid drivers in the rear deck to about 20% less than the front components.

What do you think? My ski pass has the metal plate there as well as grey trunk carpet on the back of the seats. How easy is it to remove the ski pass metal plate? I would have ti cut the carpet as well. Perhaps drilling a series of holes is the way to go..

.................Any
..........................comments.......................... ........