E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #21
Dcha
Registered User
 
Dcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,560
My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
I don't think you'd have any problems. You want to try to have the same crossover for all the speakers, so if this generation has a different crossover than that generation there might be a slight difference in sound.
__________________
Dcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #22
John_Peters
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcha View Post
I don't think you'd have any problems. You want to try to have the same crossover for all the speakers, so if this generation has a different crossover than that generation there might be a slight difference in sound.
I assume you are refering to the internal crossovers correct? That's something that I will have to look at.

Both the 602s3 and 685 are rated +-3dBs at 50hz. Additionally each speaker has a 1" dome tweeter and 6.5" kevlar bass/mid driver.

The more I think about it though, the more I wonder if I should just get a set of 705s and a HTM7. Since the series is being discontinued they will be on sale most likely.
John_Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #23
futurezero
Horror Business
 
futurezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tonorburg, PA
Posts: 28,595
My Ride: E92 335i|'11 Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Peters View Post
I assume you are refering to the internal crossovers correct? That's something that I will have to look at.

Both the 602s3 and 685 are rated +-3dBs at 50hz. Additionally each speaker has a 1" dome tweeter and 6.5" kevlar bass/mid driver.

The more I think about it though, the more I wonder if I should just get a set of 705s and a HTM7. Since the series is being discontinued they will be on sale most likely.
I have listened to the 7 series and will tell you, there's a good reason they are being discontinued. I would take any 6 series speaker over the more expensive 7 series. Simply put, they do not sound good.
__________________
futurezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #24
Dcha
Registered User
 
Dcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,560
My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
I've never met one person that bought anything from the 7 series. And I've talked to a lot of B&W owners.

If I were you (and I had the money) I would just get the whole new set up and get rid of the last gen ones. B&W keeps a fairly good resale value.
__________________
Dcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #25
John_Peters
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcha View Post
I've never met one person that bought anything from the 7 series. And I've talked to a lot of B&W owners.

If I were you (and I had the money) I would just get the whole new set up and get rid of the last gen ones. B&W keeps a fairly good resale value.
After much deliberation I've decided to basically do this:

Purchase 6 685s and use 3 across the front and 2 as rears, the last one will be slightly offset as the rear center. Then I'm going to give my 602s3's to my brother.

I don't like the HTM61 or 62, because they don't match perfectly with any of the 600 series mains. Therefor I'm going to use the exact same speaker all around.
John_Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #26
Dcha
Registered User
 
Dcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,560
My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
I don't think you will really get your money's worth out of having a 6.1. Most processors encode for 7.1 or 5.1. Don't get me wrong, it will sound cool, I just don't know if it'll sound cool enough to warrant the extra money. Hell, try it out. It might sound great.


What do I know, though?
__________________
Dcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #27
John_Peters
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcha View Post
I don't think you will really get your money's worth out of having a 6.1. Most processors encode for 7.1 or 5.1. Don't get me wrong, it will sound cool, I just don't know if it'll sound cool enough to warrant the extra money. Hell, try it out. It might sound great.


What do I know, though?
Well I was just looking for a way to use the extra speaker...it will most likely end up in a closet. I really like having 3 identical speakers across the front, but the 685s are sold as pairs so I will end up with an extra speaker that is not in use. Oh well, I guess I could sell it on audiogon.
John_Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #28
Dcha
Registered User
 
Dcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,560
My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
I love that site. I've found a lot of really good deals. Very reputable buyers and sellers.
__________________
Dcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #29
futurezero
Horror Business
 
futurezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tonorburg, PA
Posts: 28,595
My Ride: E92 335i|'11 Impreza
Honestly, unless you have a very large room, you really won't hear any difference between 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound (not to mention the fact that very few movies are even available with a 7.1 soundtrack. Most of the time you'd just be listening to a 5.1 soundtrack that is matrix processed into 7.1). Your money is better spent on getting high quality fronts and a center channel. Heck, you'd be better off getting 5 speakers and 2 subs (5.2) and positioning them correctly to reduce standing waves.
__________________
futurezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #30
Dcha
Registered User
 
Dcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,560
My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
Taking shipment on my speakers next week, but I'm thinking of ways to make this room more acoustically sound. Do you know of any (cheaper) ways to kill echo and standing waves?
__________________
Dcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #31
ryanwhite74115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,767
My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
try emotiva.com or outlawaudio.com for some great amps at great prices. I know they aren't Goldmund or Bryston, but....they have an excelllent following on avsforums.com
__________________
(\ /) or \(`' )/
( . .)
c('')('')
ryanwhite74115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #32
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,938
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurezero View Post
Honestly, unless you have a very large room, you really won't hear any difference between 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound (not to mention the fact that very few movies are even available with a 7.1 soundtrack. Most of the time you'd just be listening to a 5.1 soundtrack that is matrix processed into 7.1). Your money is better spent on getting high quality fronts and a center channel. Heck, you'd be better off getting 5 speakers and 2 subs (5.2) and positioning them correctly to reduce standing waves.
I have a pretty decent system, and I only run 5.1.

Quality over quantity.

I have a pair of $1000 in ceiling speakers sitting in a box waiting to be installed and I have not got around to it because I dont want to be disappointed with the lack of improvement.

My Room is 30x14 and my subs are in the middle on each side of the couch. Works out pretty well.

Pre Amp: Marantz SR7001
Power Amp: Cinenova Grand 5 (1500w RMS)
Fronts: (2) Polk LSi LC265
Centers: (2) Polk LSi LC265
Rears: (2) Polk LSi LC265
Sides: (2) Polk LSi LC80fx
Subs: (2) Earthquake Supernova MKV-15
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #33
futurezero
Horror Business
 
futurezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tonorburg, PA
Posts: 28,595
My Ride: E92 335i|'11 Impreza
So I wound up scoring an excellent deal on a set of 805s so now I'm in the market for a new Pre/Pro and amp
__________________
futurezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #34
John_Peters
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2001 325i
^ Did you get those 805s new?

The guys over on AVS seem to really like emotiva amps...that is if you subscribe to the philosophy that amps of sufficient power, with very low distortion are indistinguishable from one another in a level matched ABX double blind test.
John_Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #35
ryanwhite74115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,767
My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
I would if money was an object go with emotiva, as stated previously or outlaw audio. Both are very good and have great prices/ sales support.
__________________
(\ /) or \(`' )/
( . .)
c('')('')
ryanwhite74115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #36
John_Peters
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
I would if money was an object go with emotiva, as stated previously or outlaw audio. Both are very good and have great prices/ sales support.
Money is definately an object. I am seriously considering splashing for an Emotiva XPA-5 and their upcomming pre/pro. The combo would be about 1/2the price of a Rotel 1570 alone.
John_Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #37
Dcha
Registered User
 
Dcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,560
My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurezero View Post
So I wound up scoring an excellent deal on a set of 805s so now I'm in the market for a new Pre/Pro and amp
Awesome, let me know what you go with. I think I'm going to go Rotel pre/pro and a McIntosh turntable, not sure what I'll use for cd unit, because I can use my PS3 for SACD. That might change.


Mind telling me what you got yours for?
__________________

Last edited by Dcha; 01-21-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Dcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #38
ryanwhite74115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,767
My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
1 dolla
__________________
(\ /) or \(`' )/
( . .)
c('')('')
ryanwhite74115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #39
John_Peters
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcha View Post
Awesome, let me know what you go with. I think I'm going to go Rotel pre/pro and a McIntosh turntable, not sure what I'll use for cd unit, because I can use my PS3 for SACD. That might change.


Mind telling me what you got yours for?
Have you listened to a Rega Apollo CD player? They are somewhat pricey, but the sound is just increadible.

I use my PS3 as a CDP atm, but it really doesn't cut the mustard. Even my 602s3s show all of its faults.
John_Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #40
Dcha
Registered User
 
Dcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,560
My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Peters View Post
Have you listened to a Rega Apollo CD player? They are somewhat pricey, but the sound is just increadible.

I use my PS3 as a CDP atm, but it really doesn't cut the mustard. Even my 602s3s show all of its faults.
Idk what I should do, I think I might just get a used McIntosh player, I don't want to have 6 different brands you know?
__________________
Dcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use