E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
SexyDev

My Ride: 2002 330i
Send a message via MSN to SexyDev Send a message via Skype™ to SexyDev
dropping a s54 into a 330i

Is it possible to drop a s54 m3 engine into a 2002 330i? If so what is needed?
SexyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
akb4

My Ride: is gone :(
323i but same thing..

http://e46.mit.edu/
Old 01-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
SexyDev

Wow! thanks for the link hahah, well im going to wait until college and maybe if i have the money and the time ill pull that one off :]
Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
akb4

My Ride: is gone :(
good luck, with the money part while in college.. im in college right now and im BROKE! just like every other person going to school.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
I know someone that is installing an S54 that will run it with a euro S50 ecu. It will avoid the wiring mess that Mite46 had. Plug and play...

Hoveringuy

www.seattlecircuit.com
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
SexyDev

Quote:
Originally Posted by akb4 View Post
good luck, with the money part while in college.. im in college right now and im BROKE! just like every other person going to school.
Well, i have a full ride to OSU and my father is paying dorm and stuff of the sort, so my money will go to gas, parts and food! I am quite lucky on the money end, but enjoy buying and building my own cars, even though i could have my father pay for it all.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post
I know someone that is installing an S54 that will run it with a euro S50 ecu. It will avoid the wiring mess that Mite46 had. Plug and play...

Hoveringuy

www.seattlecircuit.com
damn
Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Has anyone tried dropping in a S54 into a E46 Xi?

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
shock29

My Ride: '01 325i
S54 into an 4WD platform would be
shock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
scottieprada

My Ride: 88m3 01 convt m3
does anybody no what is needed to put a e46 m3 into an 88e30 m3
scottieprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Stealthwagen

My Ride: '00 323iT / S54 6Spd
Quote:

Hoveringuy

www.seattlecircuit.com
Well, I suppose if the newer (S54 engine) will be used in an older-gen car, the backdating may be ....reasonable....and meeting emissions regs & stuff for an OBDI car, or older, will be doable in that case. Will definitely need someone who is comfortable with the electronics/software/firmware on these vehicles. Most importantly how the various modules interact with one another.

Plug & Play? Sure, as long as you have top-notch resources from which to draw. Else it'll be Plug & Pray.

My experience "dropping" the S54 into my E46 wagon was, well, more challenging than expected. Mechanical stuff (my expertise ) was a breeze. As Ben Liaw @ Rogue documented (props to Ben for his advice on my project ), everything pretty much bolts right in. That's the easy part. Making the M3 DME and associated M3 modules work together in a non-M vehicle is a challenge unless you have unlimited funds and can just change everything on a whim, or really, really, know what you're doing.

Remember that the DME, LKM, EWS, Ignition key, Body Control module and Gauge cluster all "talk" to one another over the CAN bus and so must think they belong together (ie. from the same vehicle). They look for S/N and mileage data stored in memory across themselves and it needs to cross-check. Otherwise, no start, or start with CEL's, poor running, etc. Some of this can be taken care of by "re-alignment" of the various units via the GT-1 or MODIC. Some not. Buying "uncoded" modules on a trial and error basis adds up to big $$ quickly. Burning a new "uncoded" DME with the wrong firmware is a $1000 screw-up. Oh, there are now 15 or 20 M3 DME p/n's to choose from in the BMW parts catalog. Trying to figure out which one you need can become a costly exercise. You can make $1000 paperweights in a hurry with one coding error on the GT-1. Then you have to figure out how to deal with signals (read: wires & connectors) that the M3 is looking for that don't exist on the transplant chassis & vice-versa.

So if you are electronically savvy in general and modern automotive CAN-bus system savvy particularly, have access to the specialized BMW diagnostic tools & equipment and to factory service data you can pull it off. Not impossible, but tricky. Far, far from "just drop it in" as so many here seem to think.

Beyond awesome when done of course.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
scottieprada

My Ride: 88m3 01 convt m3
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthwagen View Post
Well, I suppose if the newer (S54 engine) will be used in an older-gen car, the backdating may be ....reasonable....and meeting emissions regs & stuff for an OBDI car, or older, will be doable in that case. Will definitely need someone who is comfortable with the electronics/software/firmware on these vehicles. Most importantly how the various modules interact with one another.

Plug & Play? Sure, as long as you have top-notch resources from which to draw. Else it'll be Plug & Pray.

My experience "dropping" the S54 into my E46 wagon was, well, more challenging than expected. Mechanical stuff (my expertise ) was a breeze. As Ben Liaw @ Rogue documented (props to Ben for his advice on my project ), everything pretty much bolts right in. That's the easy part. Making the M3 DME and associated M3 modules work together in a non-M vehicle is a challenge unless you have unlimited funds and can just change everything on a whim, or really, really, know what you're doing.

Remember that the DME, LKM, EWS, Ignition key, Body Control module and Gauge cluster all "talk" to one another over the CAN bus and so must think they belong together (ie. from the same vehicle). They look for S/N and mileage data stored in memory across themselves and it needs to cross-check. Otherwise, no start, or start with CEL's, poor running, etc. Some of this can be taken care of by "re-alignment" of the various units via the GT-1 or MODIC. Some not. Buying "uncoded" modules on a trial and error basis adds up to big $$ quickly. Burning a new "uncoded" DME with the wrong firmware is a $1000 screw-up. Oh, there are now 15 or 20 M3 DME p/n's to choose from in the BMW parts catalog. Trying to figure out which one you need can become a costly exercise. You can make $1000 paperweights in a hurry with one coding error on the GT-1. Then you have to figure out how to deal with signals (read: wires & connectors) that the M3 is looking for that don't exist on the transplant chassis & vice-versa.

So if you are electronically savvy in general and modern automotive CAN-bus system savvy particularly, have access to the specialized BMW diagnostic tools & equipment and to factory service data you can pull it off. Not impossible, but tricky. Far, far from "just drop it in" as so many here seem to think.

thanks for the help
scottieprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
Has anyone tried dropping in a S54 into a E46 Xi?
one word - transfer case
Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
hoveringuy

Quote:

I think you've described the most difficult aspect of an S54 swap: the integration of stock contorl modules. They all talk to each other and the S54 ECU is worthless without them.

The beauty of the S50 euro ECU is that it's not as picky. It wants a VR crank signal but the S54 has a Hall sender. I've solved that (www.seattlecircuit.com). It also needs a road speed signal.

Other than that, the basic motor architecture is the same. Dual Vanos, same cam signal wheels, similar displacement, etc.

The swap is in progress and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Meanwhile, my M54 OBD1 runs great. When I get my standalone VANOS controller dialed-in I expect it to make at least 260hp with 270 possible. Plus, it's ALUMINUM!

It's already making 200 at the wheels on the Dynojet with very basic intake VANOS only and no ECU tuning.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
Bryan@Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: E46 330i ZSP
Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
By S50 ECU do you mean the S50B30 DME?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieprada View Post
does anybody no what is needed to put a e46 m3 into an 88e30 m3
Much of the same mechanical parts you would use for an E30 S5x swap. The difference will be the wiring, which is nuts.
Bryan@Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...y_Code=2002WAG

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...y_Code=2003ZHP

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
Stealthwagen

My Ride: '00 323iT / S54 6Spd
Quote:
I think you've described the most difficult aspect of an S54 swap: the integration of stock contorl modules. They all talk to each other and the S54 ECU is worthless without them.

The beauty of the S50 euro ECU is that it's not as picky. It wants a VR crank signal but the S54 has a Hall sender. I've solved that (www.seattlecircuit.com). It also needs a road speed signal.

Other than that, the basic motor architecture is the same. Dual Vanos, same cam signal wheels, similar displacement, etc.

The swap is in progress and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Meanwhile, my M54 OBD1 runs great. When I get my standalone VANOS controller dialed-in I expect it to make at least 260hp with 270 possible. Plus, it's ALUMINUM!

It's already making 200 at the wheels on the Dynojet with very basic intake VANOS only and no ECU tuning.
Steve:

Found one of your M54 ->E30 swap thread. Nice work! Lot's of fun bringing these beasts to life, eh? I take it you are the brains behind Seattle Circuits? Looked at the site the other night & like the work you do there too.

You're right about the full OBDII S54 project. It's tricky, but I wanted a vehicle I could drive every day, would be as close to a "factory" car as I could get it, and would pass emissions.

What will your car look like through the OBDI port? By that I mean when you go to get state inspection or emissions certification, I assume the car will come up as an E36 S50. I suppose that's fine. I don't expect most inspection outfits would wonder about that in an OBDII era chassis. Unless they cross-check the chassis S/N.

And I suppose finding a "friendly" inspection station is a possibility if need be.

In any case, props for your undertaking. I always enjoy seeing guys willing do take an innovative path.

I'd like to know more about the SA Vanos setup. How does it extract more poewr than the OE setup? Can you see it being adapted to the S54 and what sort of gains can be expected there? As you know, I'm already at 107 BHP/lit.

Good luck with the project & keep us posted on progress.

Best regards, Todd
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #18
hoveringuy

Quote:
Steve:

What will your car look like through the OBDI port? By that I mean when you go to get state inspection or emissions certification, I assume the car will come up as an E36 S50. I suppose that's fine. I don't expect most inspection outfits would wonder about that in an OBDII era chassis. Unless they cross-check the chassis S/N.

And I suppose finding a "friendly" inspection station is a possibility if need be.

In any case, props for your undertaking. I always enjoy seeing guys willing do take an innovative path.

I'd like to know more about the SA Vanos setup. How does it extract more poewr than the OE setup? Can you see it being adapted to the S54 and what sort of gains can be expected there? As you know, I'm already at 107 BHP/lit.

Good luck with the project & keep us posted on progress.

Best regards, Todd
I'm still active duty military so I haven't worried about emissions yet. Even when I get out I'm in a non-emissions area of Washington State.

That said, with my cat I'm sure the car could pass the sniffer. It's not like I run a radical cam or anything.

One thing I've learned in converting the M54 to OBD1 is that 90% of the effort BMW has made in improving the engine has gone towards economy and emissions. Power is only an added benefit if it doesn't impact the previous.

Case in point: Exhaust VANOS. While it does benefit torque at certain points by reducing pumping losses it was also meant as a way to have internal exhaust gas recirculation. I have heard of substantial gains in M54 power by retuning the VANOS from economy to power. More overlap at higher rpms isn't good for emissions but it sure boosts the power.

I haven't worried too much about developing the actual map yet. I still need to get the basic functionality nailed-down and bullet proof before I start burning time on the dyno.

The S54 has a different VANOS setup than M54. The cam has more sensor elements (7, I think) compared to my 2. The oil pressure is higher and there are two solenoids per cam. My cam takes about 1 1/2 seconds to traverse to full advance at 3000 rpm. I'm sure I could adapt it, however.

I'm as curious to know how it will turn out as you!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #19
ATLZHP6M

My Ride: TS2+ ZHP, ESS E39 M5
S54 on ZHP

I have some questions for you guys:

I'm considering the S54 swap, however I'd like to keep most of my ZHP parts.
Is it possible to use the ZHP stock diff (3.07) and drive shaft?
Also, could I use the same 6-speed manual tranny on my ZHP?

The exhaust is probably the least of my worries.
If I buy the engine, with the wiring harness, DME, Cluster and keys, what else would I need to do to make this work?

ESS TS2+ Street/Track Toy
ATLZHP6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Your existing tranny would work, but if you're going to be launching etc (aka being hard on it) know that a s54 packs more power than your m54, and the likelyhood of your tranny dieing is going to go up.