E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2003, 11:20 AM   #21
smoke

My Ride: 2002, 325Ci
crazy mod.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:39 PM   #22
PDACPA

My Ride: 03 Dinan M3
He showed the accessory switch bar taken apart and said he was looking to see if he could wire other things there, but never said whether he could. Looks to me like we could buy the strip and the individual buttons. The question is, can they be wired to do things other than heat the seats and stuff.

I just hate that strip with only two buttons on it! Looks like a bunch of things are missing!

2003 03 BMW M3 Dinan (Carbon Black)
Carrera 911 Guards Red (Garage Queen)
2002 02 BMW Dinan 330Ci (Steel Gray) - Sold
PDACPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:55 PM   #23
mattman

My Ride: 2010 Nissan
Damn.. wanna fly to Chicago and do this retrofit on my car? Will pay for flight/time/lodging/food.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:06 PM   #24
MITE46

My Ride: 323i
Hey guys...thanks for the props...

In my other thread that i posted earlier...at the end there is a pix of the nav working....

http://e46.mit.edu/Custom_Computer_Version_3.htm

PDACPA - yes you can buy other buttons to put in...they are like $30 each for the cheapest button and you need to get a new plastic faceplate that has another hole cut out of it.

sheefo2k - the dealer will say its not possible because of the amount of labor that is needed....also once its in, there is no guarentees that the BMW maintaince system will see the nav...but the nav functionality will work 100%
MITE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:27 PM   #25
ininfinitum
Super Nintendo Chalmers

My Ride: 330
Do you have a complete listing of part numbers? Now that you have the step-by-step directions up with some pics, I'm seriously considering this mod. How much did you pay for everything? THanks!
Old 11-04-2003, 02:32 PM   #26
Omnipotent

My Ride: 2014 335i
Send a message via AIM to Omnipotent
Hey, wassup Geo! So this is that "important work" that you supposedly have to do for your dad, eh? Anyways, good to know you worked everything out. Now you'll never get lost. Planning any other mods for the future?

Oh yeah, it was good that you didn't go to Red on Halloween w/ us...sucked a$$!! I stayed an hour, hah
Old 11-04-2003, 02:40 PM   #27
MITE46

my post is far from step by step instructions....there are ALOT of little tricks and techniques you will have to pick up yourself when you remove your interior. Plus, when you are putting in the new wiring there is a lot of cabling you need to "fish out". But once you figure it out you'll be a pro at installing and removing any cables in your car...

total cost was 3k+ from dealer (get parts off ebay ave=$2k)
labor took me 4-5 days (3-4 hours each day), but I didn't know how to remove anything so 80% of the time i was learning and figuring out ways to remove carpeting and other cables easily.

EDIT: I don't have the part numbers anymore, on the ETK, choose your car, then there look under navigation with or without HK. Make sure you get the parts for your car, because the wiring harness is MOST liekly different.

you will need
1. LCD screen (16x9, the part that moves up and down)
1a. knobs for the volume and select for the screen
1b. 4 screws to screw the screen into the housing
2. LCD housing (tape to be safe)
3. wiring harness (with or without HK)
4. navigation computer (DVD based, goes in the trunk)
5. radio tuner (swap your old radio for this new one and get a core discout)
6. GPS antenna
7. AC relocator piece, plastic piece $20
8. OPtional video module/cables

I don't think im forgettign anything, but that should be everything you need

Last edited by MITE46; 11-04-2003 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:49 PM   #28
MITE46

hey justin, hows it going...sorry i missed RED, lets go again sometime soon =)

everything is going well, no big plans for the car...most things are impluse anyway....if you ever need help just come over again =)
Old 11-04-2003, 03:08 PM   #29
Omnipotent

My Ride: 2014 335i
Send a message via AIM to Omnipotent
oh, red wasn't that great, but they're moving to a new location, so maybe it'll be better there...it rained, so bet a bunch of people didn't want to go out. oh yeah, diana's damned ginea pig bit my finger that night, and it broke skin. friggin thing, i oughtta sick my ferrets on it, haha. anyways, how's the car computer coming along? looks pretty cool from link...if you're plannin on installing wifi in it, aren't you bacially only going to have access to the net at your house? i'll be looking forward to the days where your car sn reappears on my buddy list
Old 11-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #30
MITE46

i've already had wifi on my car computer since version 1 =) With an omnidirectional antenna, im able to pickup some pretty good networks. I also had my cell phone working at sometime but it was really bad....
Old 11-04-2003, 05:49 PM   #31
stahlgrau
stahlgrau

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Awesome!! I have a question, and maybe I just missed something. I know you said to get the tape module instead of the CD module to be safe, but is that what you ended up doing? It looks like you got the CD module from the pictures.

Also, why the xenarc screen if you have the tv module for the nav? Just to access the computer over 5MPH and get XGA/touchscreen?
stahlgrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:09 PM   #32
MITE46

yeah ended up with the tape....i returned the CD unit because it wouldn't work with my tv tuner.....my car is MY2000 so its pretty old. I didn't take new pictures when i received my tape housing sorry.

The picture quality on the TV module isn't very good, definately not good enough for a computer, plus its not touchscreen....the xenarc screen is pretty nice, viewing angle, brightness, built in touch screen makes it a good unit =)
Old 11-04-2003, 07:28 PM   #33
SCU M3

My Ride: 2001 M3 6-spd
awesome install!!

if i have the 4:3 nav can i just buy the 16:9 head unit and swap them? does it use the same connectors? will it work with the cd version? i know the 2002 is cd version with the widescreen.
SCU M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:03 PM   #34
TAZ

My Ride: M3-P.Yellow
yes, I would like to know as well. Someone please !! Thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 02:19 AM   #35
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
wow that was awesome to look at
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 AM   #36
red911

My Ride: 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
wow that was awesome to look at
Digger....

This Thread is almost 6 years-old
red911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #37
Autobot325i

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by red911 View Post
Digger....

This Thread is almost 6 years-old
I hope that isn't a complaint...because on most occasions people are asked to search.

or it could have been...has anyone done a NAV retrofit thread dated Jan 22, 2009