E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2002, 01:50 AM   #1
Miken168

My Ride: '02 CB M3
Send a message via AIM to Miken168
How often would you guys recommend Waxing the car?

I just got my car last month, and have waxed it once using the waterbased zymol.

It kinda comes off after a week or so, but I know that it's recommended to wax the car just maybe around 5 times annually.

So is it bad to wax it like once a month?
Miken168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:16 AM   #2
M5Dreamz

Send a message via AIM to M5Dreamz
its never bad to over wax ur car...its like adding more and more layers of protectant..at some point u may wax so much ull see the build up, but its still protecting the cars paint...so wax away
M5Dreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:19 AM   #3
drmirage
Believe it!!!

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drmirage
Angry

i've only waxed my car 1x. takes too long for me and i don't have much patience to wax for 3-4 hours. buffing in circles

but i have waxked my car once. the hood takes too long to wax tho.

after i wax my car after driving in the rain, dust and all the elements.. the paint isnt as smooth..

in 4 months i've had my car.. did it once.. :tongue:
drmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:21 AM   #4
vodc4

My Ride: bmw 330Ci soon
the build-up might be difficult to remove..
vodc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:24 AM   #5
jestr
is bester

My Ride: '02 Steel Grey 325i
I use Meguiars quick detail every week
Use Quick wax once a month
Do a 3 step (clean, polish, wax) and scratchX 4 times a year.
jestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:29 AM   #6
drmirage
Believe it!!!

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drmirage
yea.. the quick detail sounds more reasonable to do 1x a week. prob takes less than 1 hour to do a quick detail.

drmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 03:36 AM   #7
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Wax it every other week along with a polish.
My car is probably the lightest color steel blue you'll ever see.
Going to clay bar it soon too.
No,... I'm not crazy

Last edited by Coldintake; 06-23-2002 at 03:50 AM.
Coldintake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 04:17 AM   #8
leng

My Ride: 01 330 07 328 12 X5
don't wax in circles... it can leave swirl marks

Old 06-23-2002, 10:16 AM   #9
Juggernaut

My Ride: a 330ci
Out of curiosity what kind of Zymol are you using? Is it the blue liquid stuff in the plastic bottle that you can buy a walmart? Its about 16 bucks or so.

I'm asking because a friend and I stripped all the wax from from his cars trunk lid and divided it into about 6 or so sections. Then we waxed each section w/ a different brand of wax. I think we tried Blitz, Meguiars 27 or 17 - i'm not sure of the number, some crappy 3 dollar wax from walmart, zep pro wax, and Zymol. We found that Blitz and Meguiars created slightly better shine but the main difference was the durability. About a week later the Blitz and Meguiars were going strong, but the other waxes failied to bead water very well. Keep in mind that the Zymol costs just as much as the Blitz and Meguiars.

Hope this helps some of you.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 10:24 AM   #10
withdrew
Astoria Fed

My Ride: '02 325i, SP/PP/CWP
Send a message via AIM to withdrew
Arrow if i had the time

i'd do it twice a month. i can usually do it once a month. it's about enjoyment, and pride in your car. it may be hard work, but there are few things as rewarding as waxing that bitch up, cruising around and watching the heads turn...wax often! it will only protect your car in the long run.

Last edited by withdrew; 06-23-2002 at 10:26 AM.
withdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 11:42 AM   #11
RyanDe680
Italian driver of German

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to RyanDe680
Why is it that I can never get all of the "wax dust" off of the car afterward? What do you guys use to remove the dust? I have a power waxer, but still, the friggin dust..
RyanDe680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:55 PM   #12
SkiXXXi

My Ride: 2001 330XI
Any DIY threads on proper application of the wax products...I have to say that I'm guilty of doing the polish in circles and have paid for it badly in the past with the swirl marks afterwards...TIA

SkiX
Dinan CAI/Stage2
Euro plate on front
Lumikos/Platinumvisions/Bimmian interior hyperwhite light set
Passport hard-wired
SkiXXXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:59 PM   #13
withdrew
Astoria Fed

My Ride: '02 325i, SP/PP/CWP
Send a message via AIM to withdrew
Question i'm lost

how do you apply/remove wax without using a circular motion? any other way seems un-natural. i am not doubting the end results (swirl marks, etc.) but i just don't know any other way...
withdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 03:01 PM   #14
RyanDe680
Italian driver of German

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to RyanDe680
Re: i'm lost

Quote:
Originally posted by withdrew
how do you apply/remove wax without using a circular motion? any other way seems un-natural. i am not doubting the end results (swirl marks, etc.) but i just don't know any other way...
Me either... How is that possible? Buffers are even circular and spin. That's a circle to me. I've never seen a buffer that moves like a sander......
RyanDe680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 11:06 PM   #15
SilverRoach

My Ride: 2002 325 Ci
He speaks the truth. You can find it on www.autodetail.com ...it says to go side to side only, not circular.

wax on, wax off Daniel-san.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:13 PM   #16
Harvinator
Oaf

My Ride: 330 ci
Send a message via AIM to Harvinator
wax when water stops "beading" on the flat surfaces of your paint.

to get wax dust off that won't come off with a simple wiping with a clean towel, use quik detailer. If your black moldings get wax residue on it that's impossible to remove, put some peanut butter on it (honestly!)

btw, if you have a lotta wax dust after you buff, you may be using too thick a coat. A thick coat doesn't really protect your car any more than a thinner one with good coverage.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:45 PM   #17
chrisbbb

My Ride: 99 328I
Send a message via ICQ to chrisbbb Send a message via AIM to chrisbbb
Here is the truth about swirl marks and where they come from: There are three types and causes of swirl marks.
First, what is commonly referred to as "spider webbing" is a condition characterized by small, shallow scratches. These are usually caused by tiny abrasive dust and dirt particles that do not pre-rinse off when the vehicle is washed by hand or machine, which are then moved along the surface of the paint. The results are hairline scratches. Even when a vehicle is driven, some of these airborne particles can hit portions of the painted surfaces, leaving tiny scratches.

Present paint-coating technology, chemistry or mechanical washing cannot completely prevent this problem. However, some of the newer automotive paint coatings are more scratch resistant, but recent advances in chemical and mechanical system technology have helped in minimizing this problem.

Secondly, excessive detail product or chemical residues such as oils, silicones or waxes can cause superficial swirl marks. These residues remain on the paint surfaces sometimes in patterns left by hand-application motion or mechanical buffers. The oily residues usually have not had proper "drying" time before attempting to wipe off the excess; therefore it streaks and smears. In many cases when wax products are applied on hot surfaces, solvents can evaporate too quickly and leave residues that are difficult to remove.

The most common and the most severe swirl mark conditions are primarily caused by high speed buffing with wool pads. These "C-swirls" are named for the C-shaped pattern that is created. C-swirls are also created by

heavy abrasion compounds
pressure or friction of buffing application
angle of buffing application
speed and direction of buffing application.
Synthetic fiber or wool blend buffing pads can help reduce friction and therefore lessen the severity of C-swirls but may still leave some marks that need to be removed.

Each of these factors determines the severity of depth, width and length of these patterned scratches as well as the quantity. In any case, these swirl marks or patterned scratches are unsightly and counterproductive. While C-swirls are sometimes an unavoidable result of reconditioning a vehicle, especially when removing heavy scratches or acid rain damage, minimizing the friction created by the buffing process and training employees on proper use of high-speed buffers can reduce swirl removal time.
chrisbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:16 AM   #18
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Mike...

just get some Zaino and do it the right way.
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote