E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 12:52 AM   #1
funkeycold
Top Marketing Student

My Ride: Silver 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to funkeycold Send a message via Yahoo to funkeycold
Is it possible to just swap a new deck into my 330i without anything else?

I bought a Sony MEX-5DI MP3/CD player for my old car but never got around to completing the system. In case you aren't familiar with it, it's the deck that has the plasma screen.

I am a total n00b when it comes to stereos so help me out.

I'm wondering...Can I just pull out the stock deck and put this new one in? Or would I have to change the amp/speakers? Ideally, I'd want to keep what I have, and just swap decks.

Does the fact that the Sony deck has no internal amp make a difference?

Thanks a lot!

2001 330i, Titanium Silver
-- Clear turn signals
-- UUC SwayBarbarians, front/rear
funkeycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:39 AM   #2
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
If it has no internal amp I believe you need to get an aftermarket deck. I do not think the stock amp has RCA outputs. Might as well replace everything. You could get away with using the stock speakers with an aftermarket amp, but they will most likely blow and it will sound like crap.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 04:29 AM   #3
kb756

My Ride: pinto
if u want to use ur stock speakers with the sony deck, u will have to bypass the factory amps. ur deck has no internal amp, so u would most likely have to get a seperate amp. ur speakers will slowly blow because of ohms. the factory speakers are like 6ohms while aftermarket speakers are 2ohms and are designed to work with aftermarket amps, while the stock speakers arnt. i believe the speakers blow because theyll be running too hot or sumthing. better off replacing the speakers or u can add the sony deck and keep the stock deck using some convertor/line out.
kb756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:25 PM   #4
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
Quote:
If it has no internal amp I believe you need to get an aftermarket deck.
aftermarket amp i meant

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 05:53 PM   #5
funkeycold
Top Marketing Student

How long do you think the stock speakers will last with an aftermarket amp? A week, a month, more?

-- Clear turn signals
Old 07-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
kb756

I would give it couple of months depending on how hard u play it.
I did this in my old car and both of me rears, and tweeters up front are gone. The rest are now distorted and im jus waiting for them to blow and ill replace them.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:19 PM   #7
SST

My Ride: 325i
Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms not 2 ohms.
Speakers don't blow because of ohms.
Speakers "blow" when too much distortion overheats the coil and the wiring
breaks, or too much power is sent to them and the wire overheats.

If you can get the stock wiring diagram you should be able to easily wire in a new Headunit. You will need an rca to line converter such as is made by Peripheral. Many people, such as myself, use the Vendetta 4 to covert the line output of the stock Headunit to rca's for adding a new amp. But, you can also use the Vendetta 4 to convert RCA to line level such as when adding a new headunit to the stock wiring.

However, if you're going to go with new speakers and amps, then why not just run rca's from the new HU to the new amp and then run the amps to the stock speaker wiring via the stock amp connector? The diagram for the wires is located on this site, just do a seach.

TT
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:39 PM   #8
funkeycold
Top Marketing Student

So you are saying that as long as I don't send too much power to the stock speakers with an aftermarket amp, they should be alright to use?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:37 PM   #9
SST

Yes. You can run higher power into the stock speakers than what they are rated at as long as that power is clean and not distorted. A new amp will make the stock speakers sound much better. However, give too much power and you can blow the speaker if there is a big power spike especially in the bass frequency. If you don't upgrade the stock speakers but do use a new amp I would suggest that you put some "bass blockers" on the stock speakers. The blockers will help prevent your stock speakers from trying to reproduce very low bass. Low frequency can cause the cone to pop out as the driver tries to create that tone. Crutchfield sells bass blockers.
I would try and get blockers to stop 40Hz and below at least as most 6.5" drivers can't truly reproduce clearly in that low range.

I'm feeding a Rockford sub 425 watts rms, yet that sub is rated for 200 watts rms. I keep the power high but not maximum and the sub is doing fine.
However, I can't use the amp to it's full potential as the sub just can not utilize how much power that amp can really give it. That will be the situation with your stock speakers and a good powerful amp. You won't get the best benefit but you will improve the sound you currently have.

TT
Old 07-16-2003, 01:56 AM   #10
kb756

I dont agree with sst. using stock speakers with aftermarket amps is not a matter of how clean can u send the wattage to the speakers. no matter how clean the power is, u cant take away the ohms difference and that will fry the speaker. that is why there are resisters. in fact, there is a way to use the stock speakers with aftermarket amps using some sort of resistor device. this is extrememly difficult to do because u have to attach the resisitor to the inside of the speaker and the resistor is pricey, thats why it is an impractical alternative.

even on aftermarket amps, u can set the frequency it gives to the speakers/subs. i dont see the need for bass blockers on an
ab-class amplifier which is intended to power component speakers as is.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:37 AM   #11
rodman8600

My Ride: 2003 325i Steel Gray
Send a message via AIM to rodman8600
i am just getting an aftermarket head unit installed, so my built in amp in the head unit will not be used?
rodman8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:31 AM   #12
SST

Let me clarify my point and address others.
If you are using a new HU and are going to feed the OEM amp then this will not fry your speakers. Use the Vendetta 4 to send the output of the new HU to the stock amp and speakers. This is a fine and easy way to upgrade your system. You will have the increased functionality of the new HU with it's better eq controls yet you retain the stock amps power and built in crossovers.

As far as the question will a high powered amp blow the stock speakers, I stick to my statement that clean and high power doesn't necessarily blow a speaker. In fact, a low power high distortion amp will blow a speaker much much quicker than a clean high powered amp.

High power does not destroy speakers due to "ohms". I don't understand what your statement even means. Can you clarify your point?
Resistance is a load seen by the amplifier. If the amp is designed to drive a 4 ohm load and you give it a 4 ohm load, then it will work no matter what.
If the amp sees an 8 ohm load then there is a greater resistance and the amp will push less wattage. If the load is 2 ohms then the amp will push more wattage. However, in that 2 ohm scenario it's not the speaker that is in danger of blowing but rather the amp is, IF it is not designed to handle a
2 ohm load. If a 4 ohm designed amplifier is driving a 2 ohm load it will overheat and shutdown, hopefully, before it fries something.

What ohm's difference are you referring to?
As long as you use the proper cross over so that you aren't sending bass to tweeters and high's to woofers, the speakers will be fine with a good clean amp.

As far as bass blockers, the importance is that most 6.5" drivers, especially stock BMW units, aren't designed to reproduce low frequency very well. We're talking like 30Hz or 40Hz or even 20Hz. The cone travel to try and reproduce that low signal can cause the cone to pop. The stock amp has built in crossovers which I'm willing to bet have filters to stop very low frequency from going to the mid bass drivers. Being an ab-class amp has nothing to do with whether or not the driver can produce the signal the amp is feeding it.
An aftermarket quality amp can have a frequency range of 20Hz-25kHz maybe even broader, which is a bit higher than what the human hearing range is (human range is 20Hz to 20kHz). If the amp delivers signals down to 20Hz a 6.5" driver will have a difficult time trying to produce that frequency and that can cause it to "blow".

Yes, if the amp has a "high pass" filter, then you can set that channel to only pass high frequency. However, in my experience using high pass filtering too much filtering can often make a mid bass driver sound dull. If the mid bass driver is capable of
producing, let's say, 40Hz or 45Hz and the high pass is set at 50Hz or 60Hz, then you are missing out on better sound staging in that frequency range.
If the amp has a high pass circuit that is nicely controlled then I agree you can use that instead. However, using a bass blocker allows you to fine tune how much low bass is stripped out without stripping away what the driver may be capable of. But then that's why it's called "tuning".

BTW, resistors are very cheap items. Also, attaching resistors is very easy actually especially inline with speaker wire, if you need to do it.
Also, what is meant by "impractical alternative"? I'd say keeping the stock speakers and stock amp hooked with a new HU is a very practical way of improving your sound. Using an aftermarket HU and a new amp with the stock speakers is easily accomplished as long as you have the proper crossovers and those can be purchased cheaply on ebay or at online speaker component sellers.

TT
Old 07-16-2003, 06:04 PM   #13
funkeycold
Top Marketing Student

How much does a Vendetta 4 cost? And how would my deck having no internal amp affect the stock amp/speakers? Would I still need to get an aftermarket amp?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:00 PM   #14
SST

The Vendetta is made by Peripheral and can be had for around $45 to $50.

Your new deck does not need an amp to send a signal to the stock BMW amp.
You will send the audio outputs from your head unit into the Ven 4's RCA input and that will convert the signal to the type of signal the BMW amp needs. That's it. Now you will have the benefits of the new head unit but you will still be using the stock BMW amp and speakers. The sound should be better. Depending on how good the new tuner is you will have clearer reception with better channel separation. The CD player should be better as well. Plus, the new deck gives you more control over eq than the stock setup.

You only need a new amp IF you want better sound and louder sound.
If you do a new amp then you'll want new speakers eventually so that you will get the best sound from the whole system.

If you are not comfortable doing this wiring or it it confuses you, you may want to make friends with a local stereo shop. If they are cool they can advise you on what to do. If you buy something from them, like new speakers, then you are at least supporting their business and they will be more inclined to help you out.

There are many ways you can go such as; new head unit, new speakers, stock amp OR new head unit, stock speakers, stock amp OR new head unit, new speakers, new amp, etc...

If you go with a new head unit and a new amp, then you won't need the
VEN 4 unit. You will need excellent quality RCA cables. I like the Monster Cable Micro cables, found on the web with a search. You will simply run your new cables from the new head unit rca outputs into the new amps rca inputs.
That will give you a very clean signal. Remember to run audio signal cables away from any power carrying wires. You can cross the cables and wires if need be at 90 degree's, but don't run the wires and cables along side each other.

TT
TT
Old 07-16-2003, 11:09 PM   #15
funkeycold
Top Marketing Student

Got it, thanks a bunch!! Sounds fairly simple to do, as well as cheap. Just what I was looking for!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:29 PM   #16
funkeycold
Top Marketing Student

One more thing, looking on Peripheral's site, it has both a Ven 4 and Ven 4.5. Would either work, or is one better/easier/etc. than the other?

Peripheral says that the 4 is ideal for replacing the amp/speakers while the 4.5 is ideal for replacing the HU.

-- Clear turn signals
Old 07-17-2003, 03:23 PM   #17
SST

Go with Peripherals recommendation. They build it they would know better.
You can call them or email and tell them your intentions. Then they can guide you better.

I looked at the two. If you are going with a new amp and HU then you won't need either or them. You will simply use rca from the HU to the amp and then from the amp you will go to cross overs and then tap into the stock wiring.
That's also quite simple, just takes some time.

If you are ONLY changing the HU and you are using the stock OEM amp, then the 4.5 looks like the better of the two. Using the 4.5 you will use the actual
speaker level outputs from the new HU as the input signal to the OEM amp.
There are level adjustments in the 4.5 just like the 4.
Looks like you're getting it.

TT

Last edited by SST; 07-17-2003 at 03:30 PM.