E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
Another Gun Thread

Two Questions:

I just picked up a Ruger 10/22 and I was wondering what all of you suggested in the form of accessories / mods for this rifle. I bought it because .45 ammo is just too damn expensive to target shoot with.

My other gun is a Ruger P97 .45 ACP and I am looking for a good carry gun. My .45 is too big to conceal. I'd ideally like something that will fit in a pocket holster or will inside the waist band. (I wear a suit everyday).
I'm looking for:

.45 preferable because I already have all the reloading stuff for this but not a requirement.
No revolvers
Common ammo ie .45 9mm .380
Value / reliability.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
NightWolfe

My Ride: 02' 330CI
Lots of good info here for your 10/22

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

And for a good .45acp carry gun I love my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/

Nice, compact, shoots great
Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
doesnt the combination of light and small gun + big powerful ammo like .45ACP = bad recoil?
that gun is the size of a p22 ..
Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
I like that Kimber but I was planning on buying a full sized Kimber 1911 in a year or two. But I may have to change my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillanovaGrad View Post
doesnt the combination of light and small gun + big powerful ammo like .45ACP = bad recoil?
.45ACP doesn't have a lot of recoil. It's a very slow recoil, making it more manageable than a .40 and even some 9mm loads. Weird but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWolfe View Post
Lots of good info here for your 10/22

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

And for a good .45acp carry gun I love my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/

Nice, compact, shoots great
Be careful buying a Kimber. They're fantastic guns that are dead-accurate and very pleasurable to shoot. Unfortunately, they have such tight tolerances that they can jam easily if you use less than premium ammo. My Kimber Tactical Custom II has to have certain types of ammunition or it won't feed properly. For target ammo, if I use Black Hills blue box, Winchester white box, or Magtech, I'm fine and the gun works wonderfully since they do crimp to military tolerances. Remington UMC works about 90%. CCI Blazer Brass doesn't work and jams every few rounds. They don't crimp the round enough. I bought almost a case of Blazer Brass, and I had to leave the range, take it home and put it on my press and re-crimp every round. As for duty/carry ammo, I've primarily shot Speer Gold Dot 230gr out of it, and it loves that ammo. I tried some Winchester ammo and was happy with the results too.

Now, that being said, you have some .45ACP options. It can get pretty expensive, though.

Kahr PM45

Springfield Micro:

Glock 36:

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
scooch325ci

My Ride: 2002 325ci (sold)
Send a message via AIM to scooch325ci
How about a Keltec p-3at .380
You can fit it right in your pocket. I have never owned one so I can't speak from experience, but how about anyone else?
scooch325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooch325ci View Post
How about a Keltec p-3at .380
You can fit it right in your pocket. I have never owned one so I can't speak from experience, but how about anyone else?
I have one and just switched to glock 26. That little sucker is just too hard to deal with when firing.

Glock 19/26 are still the best choices IMO. I would also check out the Glock 30SF if you have to do .45

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
interesting info

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Ferm3

My Ride: 2003 Topaz Blue M3
Do you want a double stack or single?

I mean Sig single stack is compact but the trigger pull can be a bit annoying.
Beretta or 1911.

I guess my question for you is how big a gun do you want to carry? Barrel length? Single stack or double?

I mean can you narrow it down a bit more?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
ChadE7320

My Ride: E90 / ATR-72
Send a message via AIM to ChadE7320
Taurus 24/7 9mm or .45 I have the standard model but have shot the compact and its a great shooting gun as well.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Glock 30 hands down. .45 acp, legendary glock finish and reliability, small enough to carry easily, and shoots awesome. Whatever you do, don't go with the 36...they are known to have many problems with the mags and improper feeding resulting in jams. The size difference between the 30 and the 36 doesn't merit the risk.

Good luck

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
NightWolfe

My Ride: 02' 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillanovaGrad View Post
Not at all .. my mother actually liked shooting that better than my full size Custom II

oh .. and KelTec is garbage .. had a P32 long ago and the thing was a POS .. trigger pull was terrible and the recoil was terrible even for a damn .32
Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
for a pocket gun Kel-Tec p3at...it's not a gun you're gonna shoot for fun, but in a tight spot is perfect. I used to be a delivery driver when I was in college, I had to tuck in my shirt so IWB carry was out. I got the kel tec and it was perfect. I hated shooting it, I mean HATED shooting it. It was painful to shoot and would tear up my hands after more than 50 rounds at a time. But even though it hurt me to shoot it, I pained through and got accurate with it, and it was perfect for anything I would ever have to deal with as a delivery driver. Keep in mind that carry guns aren't always guns you like, but instead are practical for the situation and are a gun you can shot accurately.

Outside of that I always carried my G19...great gun that I could make disappear. That was until I got my 1911. I bought a Springfield Mil-Spec, and stripped it and replaced everything. It's incredibly accurate now and looks sweet. I live in NY now so no more carry or guns right now, but I carried that 1911 and it was easier to conceal than my G19. I looked at the small 1911's but I don't like the Kimbers, and the Springfield EMP was just too expensive for me. But when you really look at it, the only real difference between the tiny single stack 1911's and their full size cousins is just the barrel length and with a proper belt/holster rig you can make a full size 1911 disappear, which gives you 45ACP power, and a full sight radius, without the high costs.

Other than that, like was said above g36's are notorious for feeding issues, the only glock to have issues...if you want a glock that small, 26 or 30. I've owned both at one time or another and loved them both, but found I didn't need them.

Also while I'm personally a Glock guy, that's only because they fit my hand. If you don't like the feel of a glock, the Springfield XD is a great gun. Not my cup of tea (i like glocks) but they are the only polymer gun I would put on par with the Glock.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver View Post
for a pocket gun Kel-Tec p3at...it's not a gun you're gonna shoot for fun, but in a tight spot is perfect. I used to be a delivery driver when I was in college, I had to tuck in my shirt so IWB carry was out. I got the kel tec and it was perfect. I hated shooting it, I mean HATED shooting it. It was painful to shoot and would tear up my hands after more than 50 rounds at a time. But even though it hurt me to shoot it, I pained through and got accurate with it, and it was perfect for anything I would ever have to deal with as a delivery driver. Keep in mind that carry guns aren't always guns you like, but instead are practical for the situation and are a gun you can shot accurately.

Outside of that I always carried my G19...great gun that I could make disappear. That was until I got my 1911. I bought a Springfield Mil-Spec, and stripped it and replaced everything. It's incredibly accurate now and looks sweet. I live in NY now so no more carry or guns right now, but I carried that 1911 and it was easier to conceal than my G19. I looked at the small 1911's but I don't like the Kimbers, and the Springfield EMP was just too expensive for me. But when you really look at it, the only real difference between the tiny single stack 1911's and their full size cousins is just the barrel length and with a proper belt/holster rig you can make a full size 1911 disappear, which gives you 45ACP power, and a full sight radius, without the high costs.

Other than that, like was said above g36's are notorious for feeding issues, the only glock to have issues...if you want a glock that small, 26 or 30. I've owned both at one time or another and loved them both, but found I didn't need them.

Also while I'm personally a Glock guy, that's only because they fit my hand. If you don't like the feel of a glock, the Springfield XD is a great gun. Not my cup of tea (i like glocks) but they are the only polymer gun I would put on par with the Glock.
My KelTec has had a few dead rounds, may be old ammo, but it bothers me enough to quit carrying it. Maybe a I will try some new ammo. It does tear your hand up, but I guess if someone is charging you with a knife, it is worth it.

Glock 19 is perfect. Period.

Glock 26 has become my new KelTec. With the stock 10 rounder it is not very big and not very heavy. Cant throw it in my shorts like the KelTec, but fine for jeans pocket.

As far as polymer, My HK45 has no problem being on par with my glocks.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
tim g

My Ride: E36 M3, RX-7
Send a message via AIM to tim g
I'm no gun expert, but if you're going to pocket carry, wouldn't a glock be a terrible idea since you could easily reach into your pocket and catch a finger on the trigger, shooting yourself?

I would think something with a real safety would be more reliable.

Dont believe everything you think
tim g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
My KelTec has had a few dead rounds, may be old ammo, but it bothers me enough to quit carrying it. Maybe a I will try some new ammo. It does tear your hand up, but I guess if someone is charging you with a knife, it is worth it.

Glock 19 is perfect. Period.

Glock 26 has become my new KelTec. With the stock 10 rounder it is not very big and not very heavy. Cant throw it in my shorts like the KelTec, but fine for jeans pocket.

As far as polymer, My HK45 has no problem being on par with my glocks.
KelTec are fickle the first 2-300 rounds, then they work like clockwork, if you had issues it was the ammo.

As HK's go, I like them. I had a USPc, but I don't put them on par with Glock's/XD's, not because of quality or accuracy, but for reliability. I did a test with my G19: how many rounds can I put through it without cleaning it before I get a problem. I quit the test after 2000 rounds, because it was still firing and I was scared it would take hours of cleaning to get the internals looking nice again. If you try and do that with an HK it will fail after 6 or 700. I look at HK like a Ferrari, great performance if you keep it tuned right, whereas a Glock is like a Toyota/Honda...nothing flashy, but it does exactly what you want it to time after time and runs forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim g View Post
I'm no gun expert, but if you're going to pocket carry, wouldn't a glock be a terrible idea since you could easily reach into your pocket and catch a finger on the trigger, shooting yourself?

You never just throw a gun in your pocket. You will end up like Plaxico. A safety can just as easily be click off in a pocket as a gun without an external safety can go off. When you pocket carry you use a holster designed to go in your pocket. They generally have a lip that's designed to get caught on your pocket so that when you draw the holster stays in your pocket and allows the gun to draw free.

Last edited by 3erdriver; 02-03-2009 at 09:31 PM.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
GlockMan

Quote:

You dont leave one in the chamber and glocks have a heavy trigger pull anyway.

Basically with no safty and a no round in the chamber and a heavier trigger pull, it is probably the safest gun all around. Keep in mind that pulling a trigger on a gun that has a safety with somone shooting or charging you is not safe either.

Racking a slide is a very natural movement. Finding the safety (especially owning multiple guns) is not.

PS - Revolvers dont have a safety either, but no one ever puts them down.

JMHO.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver View Post
KelTec are fickle the first 2-300 rounds, then they work like clockwork, if you had issues it was the ammo.

As HK's go, I like them. I had a USPc, but I don't put them on par with Glock's/XD's, not because of quality or accuracy, but for reliability. I did a test with my G19: how many rounds can I put through it without cleaning it before I get a problem. I quit the test after 2000 rounds, because it was still firing and I was scared it would take hours of cleaning to get the internals looking nice again. If you try and do that with an HK it will fail after 6 or 700. I look at HK like a Ferrari, great performance if you keep it tuned right, whereas a Glock is like a Toyota/Honda...nothing flashy, but it does exactly what you want it to time after time and runs forever.

You never just throw a gun in your pocket. You will end up like Plaxico. A safety can just as easily be click off in a pocket as a gun without an external safety can go off. When you pocket carry you use a holster designed to go in your pocket. They generally have a lip that's designed to get caught on your pocket so that when you draw the holster stays in your pocket and allows the gun to draw free.
I agree. One of my Glock 19s is 10 years old and works likes day one. HK is my nicest pistol. Glock is what I use to save my life.

I carry a gun in my pocket every day (without one in the chamber)

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #19
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:

Personally, I am not a fan of pocket carry. A little too close to my precious for comfort.

I would recommend getting a proper holster/belt and your gun will sit right along your hip. A proper holster will cover the trigger guard so you won't need to worry about snagging the trigger. ALWAYS carry with a round in the chamber
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #20
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
FWIW, I'm a cop and I carry a Glock 27 .40S&W or a Kahr PM9 9mm off-duty concealed. Both are fantastic. The .40 is a great round with 180gr hollow points. The 9mm is also amazing w/ 147gr hollow points. It's about shot placement, not capacity.

I carry both in an inside-the-waistband or ankle holster.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote