E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #61
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,955
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWolfe View Post
For those interested in self defense take a look at this ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

and look up some of this guys stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massad_Ayoob

...

Glockman .. you're talking about never carrying with a chambered round .. drawing down on people without actually firing .. just spouting off about things that most people (that I've read atleast) consider to be very bad/wrong things .. you are right .. to each their own
Spouting off? I say my opinion like everyone else, but because you don't agree with it, I am spouting off?

I carry a gun without a round in the chamber. That makes me SAFER not careless, not dangerous, not unlawful.

Chances are, I am older than you and have carried a gun longer than you. I have also probably had more dangerous jobs than you. Therefore, I have probably been exposed to more situations that would warrent the actions that I have taken.

If you have something in writing that backs what you say please post it here. Otherwise, lets just drop it.

I am done with the arguement. I have never been convicted of a crime of any kind, and I am pretty damn familar with Florida's gun laws, so lets just give it a break.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #62
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,755
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by saketherobot View Post
I think it varies state to state. In WA you have to feel your life is threatened to draw without possibly facing assault charges. With that said, i have a friend who pulled on a guy with a bat and was in the clear.

Oh and reedo has said shoot to kill never to wound. If you're shooting someone it is because they are going to kill you (or it is reasonable to believe they are)...
In MN it's to prevent death or "great bodily harm". If you assume or have reason to assume that they will do so, you have justification in being in fear for your safety or the safety of another from death or great bodily harm. Like I said-know the law and element of a crime, and you're golden. It's all about what you can articulate. And yes, you never shoot to injure. I'm trained to STOP/kill. That's center mass and head. We call them "failure drills". Shoot them center mass. If they're wearing body armor, you pop 'em in the head.

In the Army, head shots with pistol were common practice. Body shots were for rifle only.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #63
saketherobot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 50
My Ride: a fancy Toyota
glockman what was that holster you have that uses the rails?
__________________
saketherobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #64
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,755
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
Spouting off? I say my opinion like everyone else, but because you don't agree with it, I am spouting off?

I carry a gun without a round in the chamber. That makes me SAFER not careless, not dangerous, not unlawful.

Chances are, I am older than you and have carried a gun longer than you. I have also probably had more dangerous jobs than you. Therefore, I have probably been exposed to more situations that would warrent the actions that I have taken.

If you have something in writing that backs what you say please post it here. Otherwise, lets just drop it.

I am done with the arguement. I have never been convicted of a crime of any kind, and I am pretty damn familar with Florida's gun laws, so lets just give it a break.
You do what you're comfortable with. There's no fault in that. Don't do what you're not comfortable with. Preference is number 1. It's about YOU, not what others think. Most people do things because they're TOLD to do so (usually by a gun salesman with no experience). I would rather people be like you and do what they're comfortable with. Just my $0.02.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #65
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,955
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Florida is serious bodily harm upon you or another or to stop a forcible felony in progress (CWL).

You are in a 7-11 and a guy comes in and points a gun at the cashier. You shoot him in the head. You are cleared in your actions.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 02-03-2009 at 11:46 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #66
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,955
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by saketherobot View Post
glockman what was that holster you have that uses the rails?
Let me see if I can find it....

Its not a holdster, just a plastic belt clip.

Pretty neat because its simple and you could still mount a light/laser to its rails.

This is my standard Glock holster (rubbery plasic with trigger guard clip). I like it because its OEM and feather light.



This is the rail clip (fits a lot of different rails HK, Glock, etc)

It is only like $10 or $15.



www.GhostInc.com
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 02-03-2009 at 11:53 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #67
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,755
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
Florida is serious bodily harm upon you or another or to stop a forcible felony in progress (CWL).

You are in a 7-11 and a guy comes in and points a gun at the cashier. You shoot him in the head. You are cleared in your actions.
Florida has a Public Castle Doctrine. Basically, you have no duty to retreat. In Minnesota, you have a duty to attempt to retreat away before reacting to a threat. That's why knowing the law helps. You're ahead of the curve. Kudos Amigo.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #68
saketherobot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 50
My Ride: a fancy Toyota
Do you carry that inside your waist?

No trigger guard makes me a little nervous.

I have a glaco holster that sits in the small of my back. 90% of the time its completely hidden. I do like the idea of something small like that. My HK is kinda big though and i am not sure about sticking it inside my waist...
__________________
saketherobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #69
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,755
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I have a Galco leather IWB holster. It covers the trigger guard on both my Glock 27 and Kahr PM9. I'm very comfortable with it. It's a good off-duty concealment holster. It's not for duty use, though.

Pics because I can...:




__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #70
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,955
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by saketherobot View Post
Do you carry that inside your waist?

No trigger guard makes me a little nervous.

I have a glaco holster that sits in the small of my back. 90% of the time its completely hidden. I do like the idea of something small like that. My HK is kinda big though and i am not sure about sticking it inside my waist...
Honestly, I have not used it much due to my gut. Need to lose the handles. Its right hand only, so no small of back for me. Since winter, I wear jeans more and my Glock 26 is just fine in my pocket. No trigger guard doesnt matter to me since I am not carrying chambered.

I would not use it for a big HK. It is really probably best for the Glock 30SF. (smallest railed glock to my knowledge)
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #71
saketherobot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 50
My Ride: a fancy Toyota
I have a USPc which isn't big, but definitely a large "compact".

I am looking for something that i can wear while wearing a backpack. I spend a lot of time walking near my school and in some really bad areas. My galco is really uncomfortable with a pack on and i fear loosing concealability with a hip application. ankles are pretty much out of the question because the gun is too big.
__________________
saketherobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #72
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,955
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by saketherobot View Post
I have a USPc which isn't big, but definitely a large "compact".

I am looking for something that i can wear while wearing a backpack. I spend a lot of time walking near my school and in some really bad areas. My galco is really uncomfortable with a pack on and i fear loosing concealability with a hip application. ankles are pretty much out of the question because the gun is too big.
Are you allowed to have it at school? Florida its a felony.

Hate to say it, but.....fannypack.

Of course you could do another smaller gun. Can never really have too many guns ya know.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #73
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,755
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
Hate to say it, but.....fannypack.

Of course you could do another smaller gun. Can never really have too many guns ya know.


Fanny Pack is your best bet. Otherwise, look into a shoulder holster and wear a collared shirt/flannel shirt over a t-shirt. It will do you wonders. Otherwise, look into a high-ride leather pancake holster and a large/baggy polo shirt or rugby jersey.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:36 AM   #74
Rush4theYehO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,383
My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWolfe View Post
Maybe illegal was a harsh word .. but you should still never draw unless you intend to shoot .. unless all the self defense instructors I've ever spoke with were wrong
Maybe you've taken what he might have said out of context. In a draw down, the person with the gun should be mentally ready to fire...personally, I think any sane person would hope they wouldn't have to end another peron's life. I sure as hell guarantee you if it came down ot actually removing the gun and pointing it at someone I'm ready to end them out of fear for my life.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #75
saketherobot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 50
My Ride: a fancy Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by saketherobot View Post
I spend a lot of time walking near my school and in some really bad areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
Are you allowed to have it at school? Florida its a felony.


I don't carry on campus, nor would I ever. I am on campus for only a few hours in the morning and there is always tons of people around so i am not worried while i am at school.

I am mainly concerned with trips back and forth to friends and girlfriends houses and that sort of thing. I usually carry all my stuff in my backpack and that makes me a huge target for muggings and etc.
__________________
saketherobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #76
Rush4theYehO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,383
My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAU III View Post
this thread got really interesting. i haven't considered the chambered/unchambered argument at all. thanks for opening up my eyes a bit. I guess I have even more research to do.

I have never carried before. for you guys that have, have you had to brandish your weapon? been spotted/hassled for carrying/etc?
To be fair Blau, some of the discussion here is a little past basic CCW. Its getting a little personal as to the methods used. Here's my personal recommendation any of us can agree on:

-Pick a gun that you would be willing to carry on your person, as well as practice often with. I cannot emphasize the second point enough
-Take a defensive handgun course. NOT a concealed carry course, those are mostly classroom where everything is discussed on paper. A defensive handgun course actually allows you to practice with live ammo (on dummies/paper targets) because everything feels different at those close ranges. The course should double as a CC course as well
-Learn the laws
-practice the 4 rules of firearm safety

Regardless of what gun you pick, good luck!

*ps, I will also warn you away from the Kimber. Kimber + external extractor + *<4.25" 1911 = 3 strikes and you're out.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #77
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,955
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by saketherobot View Post


I don't carry on campus, nor would I ever. I am on campus for only a few hours in the morning and there is always tons of people around so i am not worried while i am at school.

I am mainly concerned with trips back and forth to friends and girlfriends houses and that sort of thing. I usually carry all my stuff in my backpack and that makes me a huge target for muggings and etc.
Doesnt it really suck that we have to worry about crap like this? My dad used to leave the keys in his cars when parked at home. What happen to those days?
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 AM   #78
saketherobot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 50
My Ride: a fancy Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
Doesnt it really suck that we have to worry about crap like this? My dad used to leave the keys in his cars when parked at home. What happen to those days?
I know. The fact that i get emails daily about kids getting held up for their wallets, phones, and laptops makes me sad. The problem now is most people wont do a damn thing if they see something going down.
__________________
saketherobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use