E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Bangle steps down - Hope for future BMW Designs

CHRISTOPHER BANGLE HANDS OVER HIS POST AS HEAD OF DESIGN AT THE BMW GROUP TO ADRIAN VAN HOOYDONK IN ORDER TO EXPLORE OPPORTUNITIES OUTSIDE THE BMW GROUP AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY

Munich - Christopher E. Bangle, the BMW Group's Head of Design, has worked closely with Adrian van Hooydonk in BMW Group design development for nearly17 years. Now he is handing over his post to van Hooydonk, who is currently Head of BMW Automobile Design. "Christopher Bangle has had a lasting impact on the identity of BMW Group's brands. His contribution to the company's success has been decisive, and together with his teams he has mapped out a clear and aesthetic route into the future," said Dr Klaus Draeger, BMW AG's Board Member for Development. Dr Draeger went on to explain that the BMW Group was currently "in an excellent position", thanks to a broad portfolio of automobiles and several new vehicle concepts due for market launch in the coming months and years. The BMW AG Management Board, he added, is looking forward to working with van Hooydonk as Head of BMW Group Design - a man who shares Bangle's fascination for technology and aesthetics, tradition and innovation. Dr Draeger affirmed that van Hooydonk would be in a position to continue to build on a design philosophy, which extends across the BMW Group's brands. Bangle's plan to pursue his own design-related endeavours beyond the auto industry marks the start of a new phase in his life while maintaining strong ties with the BMW Group.

Over the years numerous designs for new vehicles and vehicle concepts have been developed under Christopher Bangle's leadership. As well as continuing the BMW 3, 5 and 7 Series, he and his teams were responsible for a range of other models, including the BMW Z3, BMW Z4, BMW X5, BMW Z8, BMW X3, the new BMW 6 Series, the BMW X6 and the BMW 1 Series. Other developments under the auspices of Christopher Bangle include the new MINI and Rolls-Royce models and a number of innovative motorcycle concepts. During his tenure, Christopher Bangle was also instrumental in making the company's consultancy subsidiary, BMW Group DesignworksUSA, what it is today: a global design agency in North America, Munich and Singapore for leading international brands and companies in a wide variety of industries.

Thanks to their outstanding design quality numerous products from all three of the BMW Group's automobile brands have won a host of renowned awards from around the world. Bangle has always had a special aptitude for working with his teams to strengthen the identities and unmistakable images of the BMW Group's brands and to inspire design innovations, said Dr Draeger, Board Member for Development. Over the years he has received a dozen patents for his technical applications and design. These, along with the one hundred additional patents awarded to the BMW Group Design under Bangle's auspices, are a testimony to his creative and innovative power.

Born in the USA, Christopher Bangle, aged 52, has been Head of BMW Group Design Development since October 1992. After studying at the University of Wisconsin and the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, he began his working life in Rüsselsheim, where he worked for Adam Opel AG. In 1985 he joined FIAT, where he became Director of the FIAT Centro Stile in 1992. Shortly afterwards he left the Italian automaker to come to Munich.

Throughout his career with the BMW Group Bangle's right-hand man has been Adrian van Hooydonk, who is now set to become his successor. He described van Hooydonk as "truly a top professional in our business," adding, "I am sure that the many strong design strategies he has helped us create for the BMW Group will continue to develop and evolve."

Adrian van Hooydonk, aged 44, will take over as Director of BMW Group Design with immediate effect. In his new position he will be responsible for design development for the BMW, Rolls-Royce and MINI brands. Born in the Netherlands, van Hooydonk studied at Delft Polytechnic University in Holland and later at the Art Center Europe in Vevey, Switzerland, until 1992. From there he came to Munich, where he joined BMW as a designer. In the year 2000 he went to California to work for the BMW Group subsidiary Designworks USA. He was Director of the internationally renowned design agency from 2001 to 2004. Then, under Bangle as the BMW Group's Head of Design, he became Head of the Brand Design Studio for BMW Automobiles.

The BMW 6 Series and 7 Series lines clearly bear the hallmark of van Hooydonk's design influence, as do the Z9 Concept Car, the BMW Concept CS (unveiled in 2007) and the M1 Hommage Study. In 1997 van Hooydonk created the ACV 30 Show Car for MINI and more recently he and his team have developed the designs for the new BMW 7 Series and Z4 as well as for the Concept Progressive Activity Sedan, which celebrates its premiere at the Geneva Auto Show in early March 2009.

"I am honoured and extremely excited to take on this new responsibility", says van Hooydonk. "BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce produce the best cars and motorcycles in their segment, and I am really looking forward to being able to contribute to the future development of these brands." Speaking of his hopes for the years to come, van Hooydonk added: "I have no doubt that there are challenges ahead, but BMW's depth in engineering and the passion of its talented design team are as strong as ever. Together I am sure we will be able to create some very sophisticated and extremely attractive concepts."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Design-Christopher-Bangle.jpg
Views:	556179
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	301157   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Design-Adrian-van-Hooydonk.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	301158  
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
I think it was a good idea
van has good design ideas
Hope he gets us farther !

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Ferm3

My Ride: 2003 Topaz Blue M3
Historic day indeed. Sorry op

R

Though it was in OT.
I haven't seen you post in a while.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Jay Es21

My Ride: '02 M3 (grey)
man this is long over due......
Jay Es21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY WE ARE FREE AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im a big fan of the new guys name too!
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
tEckniks
Detail Whore

My Ride: 98.5 Estoril M3
thank god, he has the styling of a $2 hooker on acid
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
adrianpl

My Ride: 01 330ci
Not a huge fan of the new guys styling. Some day's I like it, some i don't.
adrianpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK IM GOING TO DRIVE A BMW IN THE FUTURE ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

e46 come back pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP
Progress Thread
2filthy Podcast (HOUSE MUSIC)
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
mr.325i

My Ride: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tEckniks View Post
thank god, he has the styling of a $2 hooker on acid

Thanks to zikhkd for the sig!

E46 325i-RIP
mr.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
blp88

My Ride: 325i
How does one pernounce 'Hooydonk'?

Mtech~19's & 17's~two-tone interior~tint~lip spoiler~sat radio~perf. zhp steering wheel~euro plate~h&r~debadged~clears~more less important things :)
blp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
omg...i thought it was history when obama became president, i was clearly wrong....

jk but thank god hopefully we can remove the bangle from bmw in time for the next gen 3 series. although i think the new 5 series may still have a large bangle influence...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Na na na na...na na na na...hey hey-ey...good bye

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Brian N

My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
Oh joyous day.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
SaaDiesel

My Ride: 02 330i Tech 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay es21 View Post
man this is long over due......
+98605841054056885

ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
BFP Intake, Euro Cooling Ducts, OEM Clear Lenses, 8000K HIDS
Matte Black-Grill, Headlight, Window, & Body Trim
SaaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
handel

My Ride: 323i
Yeay, I am on my second E46 cuz I just can't stand the E90. Farewell sucker.
*like having a dipstick for oil checks/changes.
*like having all window controls in the center.
*like styling better.(interior and exterior)
--I'm sure the engine is fantastic though. I tend to skip a generation. went from e30-346; didn't like the e36 either.

Last edited by handel; 02-04-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: made mistake with e92->e90
handel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
iftwb

My Ride: E46 320i + E60 530i
Send a message via MSN to iftwb
What was wrong with the E92 coupes? I don't understand how they can't be sexy and appealing? Maybe I would stick to my E46 if I had to choose between that and the E90 pre-facelift Sedan, but other than that; I'd definitely get an E92.
iftwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #17
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Bangle's design lacked umph. The E9x is completely unbuyable for me no matter how much power they have. They lacked presence of what a BMW should be. They are just odd, and odd doesn't make it better in my book.

I would be very curious to know how much he was responsible for the new Z4. That car has more than umph, it's very manly, and everything a BMW should be. I don't believe he's capable of doing that car because there's virtually no uncorrectable oddness in that car. Contrast that with the E9X is like comparing day to night. I looked over and over at the E9x, imagining what panel they could replace to make the car better. Eventually I had to give it up for dead because that design is uncorrectable, and too many things wrong with it.

Bangle's style is more suited to the Japanese manufacturers who prefer oddness. I hope Toyota will give him a job.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 02-03-2009 at 10:38 PM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #18
jonD
Banned User

My Ride: M3
Send a message via Yahoo to jonD
AHHHH to bad they didnt kick him to the curb before he ****ed over the new M3
jonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 AM   #19
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

You guys DO realize that he also designed the E46?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #20
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
w00t!

Please give me some classic german styling cues now! I honestly am not sure if this guy is going to do any better though.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote