E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
tchavis1989

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Send a message via AIM to tchavis1989 Send a message via Yahoo to tchavis1989
330i ZHP Clutch Job (Flywheel Options ... Single/Dual Mass)?

so i'm in the process of doing a clutch job on my 330i ZHP. i've already ordered my clutch kit from tischer bmw for $320 but the flywheel is what gets me ... $750! i understand that i have a dual mass flywheel which can't be re-surfaced and am wondering if i could put a single mass in it's place ... with that said if i can't what are my options as i want something that'll be just as light if not lighter than the supposently light weight flywheel which came stock on my car. also, will whatever flywheel you guys specify work in conjunction with my stock clutch kit in which i ordered? thank you for your time.

regards,
tyler
tchavis1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Kinda thread we long to see e46f.c... I want to know as well.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
You don't want to use a stock clutch with any single mass flywheel. The stock clutch is a rigid hub meant to be used with a dual mass flywheel. If you switch to a lightweight single mass flywheel then you should utilize a sprung hub clutch. Either the clutch or the flywheel needs to be "sprung".

The "ZHP" flywheel is not lightweight. It's the same ~ 25lb dual mass used in all other e46 6-spds. It is, however, about 5 lbs lighter than the 5-spd e46 flywheel. The aftermarket LW flywheels are typically in the 8.5 - 11lb range. If you do some searching around the forums, you will find that most people also seem to report some level of transmission gear rattle when using a LW flywheel.

If you're set on going LW, cancel your clutch kit order and start over. The JB Racing + Clutchmasters FX100 combo is frequently recommended as are the UUC offerings.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
tchavis1989

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Send a message via AIM to tchavis1989 Send a message via Yahoo to tchavis1989
mine does rattle when the car is turned off though unless i hold in the clutch? so ... i'm saying light weight

regards,
tyler
tchavis1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavis1989 View Post
mine does rattle when the car is turned off though unless i hold in the clutch? so ... i'm saying light weight

regards,
tyler

Yeah, I have the same stock flywheel and I'm familiar with the rattle when turning off the car. It doesn't rattle at idle though. The 25 lb stock dual mass is by no means lightweight and it neither responds nor rattles like a lightweight single mass... but feel free to call it what you like. Just be prepared for the constant corrections from other members.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Mine rattles when i turn my car off, too. It's a BMW thing.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Mine rattles when i turn my car off, too. It's a BMW thing.
same here.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
What's the difference between a single and double mass clutch?

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg323 View Post
What's the difference between a single and double mass clutch?
I think you mean single and dual mass flywheel.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...els/index.html
http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi..._zms_de_en.pdf

Either the flywheel or the clutch should contain a damping mechanism (springs). For this reason, a dual mass flywheel will typically utilize a rigid clutch disc (no springs) and a single mass (all aftermarket lightweight flywheels) should utilize a sprung hub clutch.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I think you mean single and dual mass flywheel.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...els/index.html
http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi..._zms_de_en.pdf

Either the flywheel or the clutch should contain a damping mechanism (springs). For this reason, a dual mass flywheel will typically utilize a rigid clutch disc (no springs) and a single mass (all aftermarket lightweight flywheels) should utilize a sprung hub clutch.
Thanks for the explanation and links. And yeah, you caught me... I did mean to say flywheel.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote