E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #41
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Well if you need any help, feel free to ask me some questions. I can take out the dash in 2 hours, 1 with help. I have a thread with a step-by-step also.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #42
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
OK, thanks. My dash is already out. So I know how to put it back together as well as taking it out again. It's a pity I didn't find your DIY. Apart from the one I mentioned in my start post I didn't find anything else. Now people can have my take on the DIY as well.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #43
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
OK, thanks. My dash is already out. So I know how to put it back together as well as taking it out again. It's a pity I didn't find your DIY. Apart from the one I mentioned in my start post I didn't find anything else. Now people can have my take on the DIY as well.
Yep, props for taking all the necessary pictures.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #44
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Because the air ducting in the dash were all part of the dash itself, the passenger airbag had to come off or it would block the dash from coming out. So the airbag was disconnected at the indicated socket and removed.

Two nylock nuts were released on the driver side, green circles.

Two nylock nuts were released on the passenger side. The screw in the middle also needed to come off.

One nylock nut (circle) was released inside the gear stick console. Two screws (squares) were released on the sides to allow a metal piece underneath to come out. The metal piece must be released or it would prevent the trim from being flexed to get past the seats and hand brake. It might also cut and damage the seats.

One expanding rivet was released from the central side wall of the driver foot-well.

An expanding 'nut' on the underside of the dash trim next to the door was pulled out. There was one on each side of the car, locking the dash trim to it's skeleton.

Seats down and reclined to make room for the exiting dash. The hand brake proved to be an obstacle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	5510
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	301814   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	5479
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	301815   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	5510
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	301816   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	5482
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	301818  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	5443
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	301819   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	5429
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	301820   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	5385
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	302628  

Last edited by GoingNuts; 02-15-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #45
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

There was nothing interesting while pulling out the dash. So no pictures were taken since I was busy pulling, pushing, shoving, kicking, binging, banging ... bonging. Once I had the dash out through the door, the only thing that came to mind was how light it was.

Dash was out. This was what I found on the driver side.

The middle ...

... and the passenger side.

There did not appear to be much to rattle in the dash. I got suspicious and thought BMW must be hiding the rattles from me under that gray-brown sound proofing. So I took off my VIN strip from the front to see what was under there. I managed to break one of its pins. The correct way to take it out was to ensure the pins came out perfectly vertical all the way until they were completely out.

With the sound proofing peeled back, all that there was, was the car's body metal. If there was rattle on the other side, it would be in the engine compartment. But the noise I had was definitely inside.

I looked around for possible places and found this box behind the fuses. The box was mounted on top of a plastic cover for a junction box underneath. The cover would bang against the bolts and nuts in the junction box if there was enough up and down shaking.

The right side of the flimsy cover would need some padding and/or fixing with fastener, may be duct tape.

The second place was behind the air box for distributing air to the passenger foot well and to the rear passenger area. It was just plastic of the air box next to bare metal of the pipes (top arrow). If there was enough side to side movement, the plastic and the metal just banged. Padding would be needed between these.
Third place was the ducting going to the rear (bottom arrow). If the ducting was moved side to side, I had the plastic click click kind of sound. If I padded the hole around the ducting, that would reduce movement and possibly remove the clicks.

None of these places accounted for the noise I was looking for. Although these might have contributed to the noise I heard. So I carried on looking. Then a very nasty thought occurred to me because I remember reading about it. So I tested what I thought. Yep, it made this plasticky shifting/moving kind of noise. When I bounced it, it was making a ridiculous amount of racket. It was the dried out fuse chart inside the fuse box. B*TCH !!!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	5492
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	301840   Click image for larger version

Views:	5375
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	301841   Click image for larger version

Views:	5394
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	301842   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	5388
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	301843  

Views:	5386
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	301844   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	5447
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	301845   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	5352
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	301846   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	6276
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	301847  

Last edited by GoingNuts; 02-08-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #46
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Awesome write up, but OMG you must have felt like a prat when you found out what it was!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #47
sgtfury40

My Ride: 2003 325i
EPIC, absolutely EPIC!!!!!
sgtfury40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #48
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
My rattle was the locking ring for the ball-n-cage joint for the rearview mirror.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #49
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Using duct tape and laminate floor underlay foam, I reconfigured the car with basic essentials for rattle hunting mode. I will run the car like that until I am satisfied there are no more rattle from the dash. First good news was that I still had the rattle with the dash out and fuse chart in. That meant the dash trim wasn't responsible.

I had temperature control.

I had window control.

I had speed control.

I had light control, and that covered everything I needed run the car with.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	5307
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	301933   Click image for larger version

Views:	5300
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	301934   Click image for larger version

Views:	5295
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	301935   Click image for larger version

Views:	5276
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	301936  

Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #50
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
What about airbags?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #51
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Yes, those were put back along with the steering wheel. I didn't want the airbag light start showing.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #52
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
this is legendary...wow.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #53
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Might be a good idea to replace the a/c condenser / heater core too?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #54
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

I am from the school of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So I am doing nothing but dealing with the rattles. If I ever need to take the dash off again in the future for whatever the reason, it will be easy as the path has been beaten down. I have brand new looking pipes in there, there's no reason why other related parts are not in the same condition.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #55
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
I am from the school of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So I am doing nothing but dealing with the rattles. If I ever need to take the dash off again in the future for whatever the reason, it will be easy as the path has been beaten down. I have brand new looking pipes in there, there's no reason why other related parts are not in the same condition.
I had rattles behind my dash too... We ripped out everything and put it back in... No longer rattles. =)

sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #56
NE1L

My Ride: 320Cd M-Sport
Certainly the most comprehensive DIY I have seen. Cannot wait for the conclusion, perhaps then I can take corners without the sound of some small plastic thing rattling way.
NE1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #57
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
I had rattles behind my dash too... We ripped out everything and put it back in... No longer rattles. =)
Well, you have done a more complete disassembly than I did. Did you find out what caused the rattle ?

My rattle has improved. As expected that unmasked other noises. My passenger chair has became the dominant noise maker now. I still have something going on either inside the passenger door or inside the side trim panel forward of the door. May be I need to rip out the fender to see what's behind it.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #58
320driver

My Ride: 320ci Coupé Exe
OMFG you sure go all the way I see what an amazing DIY this is, I'm sure many guys will benefit from it and hopefully you will lose your rattle soon wherever it is

Freude am fahren
320driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #59
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Great write-up, just a correction for you:

To avoid breaking clips and grommets when removing the trim from the dash you should start at the edges and work inwards.

Quote:
Paint striping blade sandwiched by a couple of creditcards

Got an opening to allow pulling off of trim by hand

Trim was off. One of plastic grommets refused to let go of the metal stud. So It's ripped off.
===========================

Quote:
Now the driver side trim

Not much room to work with and the blade was too flexible. A stiff screw driver shaft was needed.

It's off but the left grommet ripped.
Start at the doors and pull the strips off, working inwards towards the centre to avoid ripping out or breaking clips.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:56 AM   #60
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

The flimsy control unit housing behind the fuse box turned out to be a rattle central. Everything mounted in it and on it were loose. So the electrical relays were dismounted and their mounting surfaces thickened up using duct tape. This took out the looseness. The control unit itself was then padded at its back with foam sheet and the whole unit wrapped up with duct tape so that it could sit snugly in its cage. An unfortunate consequence of doing all of this was that I had the control unit disconnected for a couple of hours, which caused all the adaptive data in the DME and possibly other control units to be lost. Subsequently the engine ran very roughly and a check engine light showed up. Based on experiences of others, this problem would likely to persist for 60 miles of driving until the DME relearn the adaptive data. I would not recommend disconnecting this control unit (I had no idea what this unit was, and it wasn't the DME) for more than 20-30 minutes.

This basically concluded my hunt for rattles inside the dash. I still had an occasional cable whipping body panel kind of noise that I estimated to be in the engine compartment around the electronics box, or inside the door. Once that was tracked down and eliminated, my goal of this DIY would be complete.

Tags
dashboard, diy