E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
amullo

My Ride: 02 320Da Touring
Facelift - Replacing foglights with factory aux. highbeam

I saw these on Real OEM

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=63&fg=95

From what i can understand, its a kit where you replace the halogen foglamps with Xenon auxillary highbeam lamps. Ive been looking at some way to "up" the highbeam lighting on my BMW since i drive alot of dark and lonely country roads.

Anyone seen/heard of anyone installing the kit above?

//amullo
amullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
nah, i don't think anyone has installed that above.

do you have OEM bulb in the xenons right now? if not, go back tot OEM. it will give you the best light output. also, do you have bixenons? that should do a lot as far as lighting up the sides and stuff.

you could put HID fogs in if you want, and rewire them to stay on when your flick the highs (unless yours already stay on. US cars don't have that option because people are stupid).

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
i remember seeing those years ago
Old 01-22-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
sillieidiot

actually come to think of it. just get the projector fogs + aftermarket HID kit, and you'll get that for a fraction of the price

Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
amullo

Thanks for the input guys.. The thing is that i have full Bi-xenon as it is and Im looking for an option of extending the range of my highbeam.

Foglights only light up like 10 feet of the road infront of you (front fogs are about the most useless thing on the car IMHO, all show and not very many practical uses). I have the option of re-aiming my stock halogen fogs and rewiring them as auxillary highbeams, but the Xenon kit above seems like it will give more lumens at longer distances (and Ill not even get into the light color matching). The thing about doing that is that fogprojectors are designed to give a wide light output and Im looking for a highbeam or even pencilbeam shaped light output to extend the range when i flick on the highbeam.

Im thinking about ordering a "stand alone" kit from Hella via Rallylights..
http://www.rallylights.com/Hella%20H...20Modules.aspx
If i can figure out which one will fit that is.
The 50mm module looks like the one above doesnt it?

I really want the stock look and not put auxillary highbeamlights on like most of my dear counrtymen do..
While this setup would give me VERY nice range, I can+t bring myself to install something like this (below)

It looks like CRAP!!

//amullo

Last edited by amullo; 02-03-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
rizzo2008

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by amullo View Post
Thanks for the input guys.. The thing is that i have full Bi-xenon as it is and Im looking for an option of extending the range of my highbeam.
Gez bi-xenon highbeams aren't bright enough? You will blind everyone in Stockholm if you get any brighter! That being said you could get a projecter HID kit for your foglights (ive seen a few replacements on ebay designed specifically for the e46 but I dont think they project very far unless you could find a good way to aim them).
rizzo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
amullo

Well.. Im not saying the light is BAD You just get used to it and want more..

I saw the Rayzer light mounted on a E46 and it looks like a cool solution, but Im 6.1" and i have trouble weeing around the rearview mirror in right hand corners as it is! Besides.. People will think Im a cop (Yes, cops in Sweden have unmarked BMWs)
http://www.visualeyes.se/

//amullo
Old 02-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
sillieidiot

So which one are you going to buy? the hella ones are pretty much like fog lights. do you ever use your halogen inner beams for flash to pass? if not, you can put an HID kit into that and do a little wiring and you'll have yourself more light.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
rizzo2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
So which one are you going to buy? the hella ones are pretty much like fog lights. do you ever use your halogen inner beams for flash to pass? if not, you can put an HID kit into that and do a little wiring and you'll have yourself more light.
How would you get the bixenons and the inner beams to work at the same time (just curious in case I end up finding an OEM headlight unit for cheap in the future)?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
2001BMW325Ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by amullo View Post
Well.. Im not saying the light is BAD You just get used to it and want more..

I saw the Rayzer light mounted on a E46 and it looks like a cool solution, but Im 6.1" and i have trouble weeing around the rearview mirror in right hand corners as it is! Besides.. People will think Im a cop (Yes, cops in Sweden have unmarked BMWs)
http://www.visualeyes.se/

//amullo
That is too cool! Can we get those in the States? Get one for the front and one on the back to ward off those tailgaters...
2001BMW325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
rizzo2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001BMW325Ci View Post
That is too cool! Can we get those in the States? Get one for the front and one on the back to ward off those tailgaters...
they seem to have an office in the US so I would imagine yes. I am curious if they are hardwired to the car or the driver has to turn them off manually (which would determine whether they are completely awesome or just a burdensome pain in the ass).
Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
2001BMW325Ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
$995 excluding VAT?! Wow! I think I can find best use of$995.
2001BMW325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo2008 View Post
How would you get the bixenons and the inner beams to work at the same time (just curious in case I end up finding an OEM headlight unit for cheap in the future)?
on your my rides it says you have a facelifted coupe. you're never going to find them for cheap lol. because i bought them all LOL jk jk, you probably will find it one day. but right now i have 3 of them.

you just need to make a relay wiring harness and tap things differently to make it light up.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #14
amullo

sillieidiot!
The Hellas look like fogbeams, but the polyepsiloide lens is made diffrently to project the light and focus it like a highbeam pattern instead of a foglight one. Im still thinking about it.. I may go 55w Xenon on my bi-xenons to start with and see what that does for the light output.

2001BMW325Ci!
I looked into the Rayzer and they are 35w Xenons that are controlled by a remote sending RF-unit under the dash, so you turn them on and off together with your highbeam. As i understood it, you need only to wire the permanent positive lead and not a signal one.

Its a pretty sweet setup if you like that kind of thing. It has had great results in all reviews Ive seen, the only downside being the high price of the unit itself. The Upsides are good.. No change to the look of your vehicle, extra lights always ready and as high up on the vehicle as they can go without putting them on the roof, always clear of the winterslush since you have your windshield wipers to clean infront of them.
The downside for me is the price and the fact that they limit my field of view since Im so tall. Plus.. What do they look like IRL? 2 giant lights in your windshield? People are gonna think Im a cop or a wannabe cop!

EDIT: Just found there installation manual here..
http://www.visualeyes.se/brands -> scroll down.

//amullo

Last edited by amullo; 02-08-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
sillieidiot

are you sure about that? the ones you pictured don't do that. i've used them. they are just made for halogens and you can put and HID kit in there. it's just like a really bright flashlight. no cutoff what so ever. what makes a projector a high beam projector is that the cutoff beam pattern is on top rather than being on the bottom (inside the projector). so when you light it up, the lense flips it 180 and all the light is on top of the cutoff rather than being on the bottom.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #16
amullo

If you visit http://www.rallylights.com/Hella_50mm_Modules.aspx youll see that they offer 3 versions of the lamp.. I cant say for sure what the diffrence is between them since i havent seen them IRL, but it stands to reason that the optics on a lowbeam lense will differ from a highbeam one since they are made to focus the light at diffrent distances and lighted fields.

Take a maglight for example. You can focus the light at a distance OR get a wider feild depending on where in the reflector you have the bulb. Turning the reflector will give you a diffrent light output.
Here is a good tech page. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Or am i wrong? Im going to start by taking my existing halogen foglights apart and take a good look at what i can do with them.

//amullo