E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #41
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post
Bangle's E9x designs are just too "slab-sided".

It was a missed opportunity to continue the evolution of the 3-series into a sleeker curvier model each time. E21, E30, E36, E46..

E9x reversed the trend, undoubtedly a fine car and better specs wise, but imho a horrible design mistake.

You need to read the article about BMW's chosen design language. They didn't want a sleeker, curvier model.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #42
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
hold on...
what cars did Bangle design?

Didn't he design ALL BMWs from 1992 to present?

Most of you seem to think bangle started designing BMWs with the E90....

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #43
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
hold on...
what cars did Bangle design?

Didn't he design ALL BMWs from 1992 to present?

Most of you seem to think bangle started designing BMWs with the E90....

Bangle's designs are incorporated in the entire BMW lineup, including the 1, 3, 5, 6 and 7 series as well as the X5 SUV platforms E81 / E82 / E87 / E88, E90 / E91 / E92 / E93, E60 / E61, E63 / E64 ,E65 / E66 and E53. The designs have caused widespread controversy and have divided BMW enthusiasts who either love them or hate them. His designs have also influenced other car makers.

Motor Trend's article Interview: Chris Bangle, BMW's Design Chief says:

Love or loathe his work, Bangle's impact on auto design has been profound. No other designer, not even legendary GM design chief Harley Earl, has so rapidly become a part of the industry lexicon. To "bangle" a design is now an auto-industry verb for ruining it. Auto writers use "Bangle butt" to describe a tail with an extra layer of metal on the trunk (think new Mercedes S-Class). Bangle, some rivals will remind you, is only one letter away from "bungle."[1]

Bangle aggressively defended his designs against criticism. He was supported by the BMW board of directors, which wanted to move BMW's image into the future. He said it was necessary for product lines to follow a cycle of a revolutionary generation followed by an evolutionary generation followed by another revolutionary generation and so on. Indeed, he oversaw the conservative evolution of BMW designs with the redesign of the BMW 3-Series BMW E46 and the introduction of the BMW X5. For Bangle this marked the end of the evolution of BMW design and the revolution was witnessed with the 2002 introduction of the BMW E65. Bangle acknowledges that his designs do not look good in photographs, suggesting to critics that they should see the cars in real life before judging them on their looks. He introduced a new BMW concept car, called GINA on June 10, 2008.

Despite those criticisms, Bangle's distinctive designs yielded strong commercial success for BMW. In 2006, BMW overtook Mercedes as the global leader in premium car sales. BMW will continue to use Bangle's current design cues at least through 2010.[4]

Old 02-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #44
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

Bangle's designs are incorporated in the entire BMW lineup, including the 1, 3, 5, 6 and 7 series as well as the X5 SUV platforms E81 / E82 / E87 / E88, E90 / E91 / E92 / E93, E60 / E61, E63 / E64 ,E65 / E66 and E53. The designs have caused widespread controversy and have divided BMW enthusiasts who either love them or hate them. His designs have also influenced other car makers.

Motor Trend's article Interview: Chris Bangle, BMW's Design Chief says:

Love or loathe his work, Bangle's impact on auto design has been profound. No other designer, not even legendary GM design chief Harley Earl, has so rapidly become a part of the industry lexicon. To "bangle" a design is now an auto-industry verb for ruining it. Auto writers use "Bangle butt" to describe a tail with an extra layer of metal on the trunk (think new Mercedes S-Class). Bangle, some rivals will remind you, is only one letter away from "bungle."[1]

Bangle aggressively defended his designs against criticism. He was supported by the BMW board of directors, which wanted to move BMW's image into the future. He said it was necessary for product lines to follow a cycle of a revolutionary generation followed by an evolutionary generation followed by another revolutionary generation and so on. Indeed, he oversaw the conservative evolution of BMW designs with the redesign of the BMW 3-Series BMW E46 and the introduction of the BMW X5. For Bangle this marked the end of the evolution of BMW design and the revolution was witnessed with the 2002 introduction of the BMW E65. Bangle acknowledges that his designs do not look good in photographs, suggesting to critics that they should see the cars in real life before judging them on their looks. He introduced a new BMW concept car, called GINA on June 10, 2008.

Despite those criticisms, Bangle's distinctive designs yielded strong commercial success for BMW. In 2006, BMW overtook Mercedes as the global leader in premium car sales. BMW will continue to use Bangle's current design cues at least through 2010.[4]
...Along with the above stated info, Bangle was part of the E46 development as well. It's more about the design language of the company, and less about Bangle himself.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #45
cognoscenti

My Ride: 4ngie was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by blp88 View Post
How does one pernounce 'Hooydonk'?
Well,

cognoscenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #46
cognoscenti

My Ride: 4ngie was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post

Good God, that's sexy! Just look at the body line that runs from the headlight corner, across the front quarter all the way back to the upper corner of the taillight. Just beautiful

Too bad I can't get one of those with a BMW engine. I'll stick to my Bimmer for now!
cognoscenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #47
delmarco

I think they are pics of the 2012 3 series somewhere online. It actually looks beefy and much like the new design Z4.

here we go...

Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #48
nydog

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
The classic German BMW design is an unmistakable German-helmet wearing man kind of design. It is proud, unashamed, and nothing flabby, flimsy, or girly like that of bangle's design. The testosterone in the classic design is unmistakable. Here's an example:

That is HOT!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #49
Tim30250

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '09 G37
Send a message via AIM to Tim30250
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
You need to read the article about BMW's chosen design language. They didn't want a sleeker, curvier model.
Obviously not.

2002 BMW 330Cic... ZSP, 5MT
Mods: VF Stg. 1 Supercharger, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, UUC Sway Bars

Original Owner... 50,038 miles as of 05/19/14
Tim30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #50
sjo328ci

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead! This is even better than the fall of the Berlin Wall. Unfortunately he managed to disfigure an entire generation of BMW's before they finally realized what a ghastly thing he had done to the BMW legacy. I believe that the current 5 and 7 will be considered two of the ugliest cars ever designed.
M54 crankshaft
Crower MaxiLight forged alloy connecting rods
Ferrea 1mm oversize intake and exhaust valves,
valve springs, and titanium spring retainers
Technik Stage 3 cylinder head (mild port and polish)
Technik tubular exhaust header
227 rwhp (265 crank hp est)

What's the point of having money if you don't have something worth wasting it on?
sjo328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #51
suchards

My Ride: Bmw e46 1998 Saloon
2 days ago i stumbled across pictures of the New 5 Series and i was absolutly disgusted. the rear looks like a ford mondeo and the front is just disgusting .. my favourite bmw car of all time is the e46 M3 as it such a beautiful and aggressive looking car. when i first saw the new 3 series i didn't like it but it has now slowly grown on me .. however, i doubt the 5 series will ever grow on anyone!
suchards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #52
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchards View Post
2 days ago i stumbled across pictures of the New 5 Series and i was absolutly disgusted. the rear looks like a ford mondeo and the front is just disgusting .. my favourite bmw car of all time is the e46 M3 as it such a beautiful and aggressive looking car. when i first saw the new 3 series i didn't like it but it has now slowly grown on me .. however, i doubt the 5 series will ever grow on anyone!
That's not what people said in the beginning. The E46 was met with much derision initially. Now it's highly regarded!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #53
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
You guys DO realize that he also designed the E46?
Uh, wrong answer. Eric Goplen from Designworks USA designed the E46. He was called upon by Henrik Fisker, whom designed for BMW Technik in the early 90s, and later became Chief of Designworks USA. Goplen was noted for steadfastness to evolve the E46 in a more flowing and rounded style as opposed to the slab side and "flame surfacing" that the new Design Chief Chris Bangle wanted to implement. Epic battles ensued between the two, but corporate "persuaded" the new chief to sign off on the design and put the controversy to rest. Bangle of course got his "revenge" when almost every subsequent design got his influences. Bangle mentored von Hooydonk so expect more of the same "innovativeness" .
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #54
FunPoliceSam

My Ride: 2001 325i
well

I dunno about you guys, but I really liked the bmw 3 series because once it was well modded, it looked like a sleek italian sportscar... and much cheaper than a maserati... hahaha

the new bmws just look like a toyota on steroids... I want that sexy sleek look back...
Have any of you heard of "sloming"? Supposedly, high school students are sticking leeches to themselves in exchange for some kind of high. Since when did this become the new thing? What happened to just kicking back with a group of your close friends and smoking a joint?
FunPoliceSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #55
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Rae
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #56
320driver

My Ride: 320ci Coupé Exe
Great day for us Dutch
van Hooydonk will be head of designing so FINALLY the German company is turning Dutch man I can't wait for the designs because van Hooydonk has fantastic ideas for the future of BMW

Freude am fahren
320driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #57
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
Uh, wrong answer. Eric Goplen from Designworks USA designed the E46. He was called upon by Henrik Fisker, whom designed for BMW Technik in the early 90s, and later became Chief of Designworks USA. Goplen was noted for steadfastness to evolve the E46 in a more flowing and rounded style as opposed to the slab side and "flame surfacing" that the new Design Chief Chris Bangle wanted to implement. Epic battles ensued between the two, but corporate "persuaded" the new chief to sign off on the design and put the controversy to rest. Bangle of course got his "revenge" when almost every subsequent design got his influences. Bangle mentored von Hooydonk so expect more of the same "innovativeness" .
This isn't entirely true. Yes, Eric Goplen's design won for the E46 platform, and yes, Fisker was the President/CEO of Designworks (..until he left in 2001 to join Ford), but to suggest that there was some sort of tug-of-war between the design philosophies is incorrect. There was no epic battle, and the design philosophy of the current cars was decided before the E46 was introduced. BMW (..corporate/family) wanted each car to have its own look; its own personality. No more of the prevalent "same sausage, different length" design philosophy. The current designs had nothing to do with revenge. There are over 200 designers vying to see their designs reach manufacturing fruition. It's about artistic vision and nothing more.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-10-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #58
shortyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
This isn't entirely true. Yes, Eric Goplen's design won for the E46 platform, and yes, Fisker was the President/CEO of Designworks (..until he left in 2001 to join Ford), but to suggest that there was some sort of tug-of-war between the design philosophies is incorrect. There was no epic battle, and the design philosophy of the current cars was decided before the E46 was introduced. BMW (..corporate/family) wanted each car to have its own look; its own personality. No more of the prevalent "same sausage, different length" design philosophy. The current designs had nothing to do with revenge. There are over 200 designers vying to see their designs reach manufacturing fruition. It's about artistic vision and nothing more.
If you noted, there is some sarcasm in my post. First, you are correct. There were no "epic" battles as would be those well known or through publication. What it boiled down to was that Bangle wanted the E46 to be the first platform with the "new" design philosophy. Goplen, and with support from Fisker, basically lobbied BMW to keep Goplen's design proposal intact (which they did). It is well known in the Corporate circle that Bangle was kind of miffed about this. I may have overblown the story by my description, but you have to look past the sarcasm.

As for revenge, notice I put that word in quotations. This was meant to show that some folks believe that he went overboard on the departure from BMW's more conservative design philosophy and basically ran roughshod by doing things his way. Some would also say he enacted his decisions and executions by his messiah-istic approach, all the while trying to sabotage the brand from an aesthetic standpoint. Of course this isn't true, just what some say. Hence the "revenge".
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #59
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
he went overboard on the departure from BMW's more conservative design philosophy
Yes, he went overboard and out the door. Now we celebrate .

As you know Bangle's background well, I have a question to clarify. Was he responsible for some of Ford's designs ? I thought the red rear bumper reflectors on the E46 came straight from the Ford Focus and the E92 was an evolution of the Ford Cougar. Even though Ford had reasonable designs, I didn't think BMW needed to go so low as to take design cues from a brand occupying a lower segment in the market place. Hence my suspicion was that the same person did the Ford and BMW cars.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 02-12-2009 at 02:58 AM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #60
shortyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Yes, he went overboard and out the door. Now we celebrate .

As you know Bangle's background well, I have a question to clarify. Was he responsible for some of Ford's designs ?
Not to my knowledge. He worked for Opel and Fiat, but not for Ford or any affiliates. In fact, J. Mays (Chief of Ford's Creative Design) doesn't care for Bangle's designs much either. And Ford of Europe's head of design, Martin Smith, holds Bangle responsible for the trend towards "surface entertainment" in modern car design from many manufacturers.

Lots of critics and not many fans. Maybe he should have stuck to becoming a minister like he originally planned to do.