E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
///MACHINE

My Ride: is an immigrant
US Gun Laws

American gun owners, please school me about the laws in the US.

I have read a couple of threads where there are gun bans in certain areas or cities.

How does that work? Is it not a ingrained in the constitution that you can bear arms? How do local laws override the constitutional freedoms?

What places have these bans?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
TheCarLessDriven

My Ride: 330
bang bang

"SGC > than your general chat"
TheCarLessDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
AFAIK, you can own one anywhere, but local laws dictate where/how/if you can carry and which kind you are allowed to own.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution says:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

There is no consensus in the US as to what that really means these days.

When the Constitution was written, the ability of the citizens (meaning white male land-owners) to possess arms was considered necessary not only because the US was still largely a frontier nation with no 911 service, but also because an armed citizenry was less easily suppressed and controllled by a potentially corrupt or unjust government.

However, back then, the citizens had the practical ability to possess the same level of firearms as the government. These days with tanks, missles, aircraft, smart bombs, nukes, bio-chem, satellites, etc, it's unlikely that a bunch of dudes with pistols and shotguns are going to be able to prevent the government from oppressing them if it decides to.

The range of public opinion spans all the way from people that think no private citizen should legally be allowed to possess any kind of gun to people that are grumpy that they're not allowed to buy 2 or 3 cases of the newest machine guns and hand grenades and would drive an M1A1 to work if there was parking available.

Generally, it's legal for any citizen to own a hand gun, shotgun or rifle. States have various laws regulating WHO can own a gun (convicted felons usually can't, for example) and what KINDS of guns are legal (fully automatic guns, assault rifles, certain types of ammo, laser sights and noisy crickets are illegal in many states, etc).

So the simple answer to your question is that US citizens are allowed to own guns in every state. Who and what kind of gun varies, though.

FYI, the conflict between state laws and the US Constitution has been going on since 1787. On paper, the US Constitution is the supreme law of the land and no state law can override it. The practice of determining what state laws are unconstitutional is very complicated and promises lasting job security for hordes of lawyers.

Hope this helps.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
The gun laws only affect those that are trying to procure the guns through the legal channels.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
truemc

My Ride: 2000 323 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
The gun laws only affect those that are trying to procure the guns through the legal channels.
Um, don't all laws only affect those who are going to follow them?????
truemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemc View Post
Um, don't all laws only affect those who are going to follow them?????
Thank you for noticing my point.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MACHINE View Post
American gun owners, please school me about the laws in the US.

I have read a couple of threads where there are gun bans in certain areas or cities.

How does that work? Is it not a ingrained in the constitution that you can bear arms? How do local laws override the constitutional freedoms?

What places have these bans?

the gang war in vancouver finally getting to ya?

Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
i thought you cant get a gun in washington DC no questions asked?
or is it different? what about NY?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
There is a weapons "restriction" in Chicago. While the 2nd Amendment may imply that it's the right of an American to bear arms, there are legal loop-holes that allows you to essentially ban them.

Take the "restriction" on Marijuana. In order to legally possess marijuana, you need to pay a "ticket tax." Without the ticket tax, any marijuana in your possession is illegal. But here is the catch, in order to obtain the ticket tax, you need to present the drug to some government agency to process it. As a result, you need to be in possession of the drug first, which is illegal since you don't have the ticket tax.

Same concept can be used with firearms. It's not really a ban, but a restriction that makes it impossible to legally posses them.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
There is a weapons "restriction" in Chicago. While the 2nd Amendment may imply that it's the right of an American to bear arms, there are legal loop-holes that allows you to essentially ban them.

Take the "restriction" on Marijuana. In order to legally possess marijuana, you need to pay a "ticket tax." Without the ticket tax, any marijuana in your possession is illegal. But here is the catch, in order to obtain the ticket tax, you need to present the drug to some government agency to process it. As a result, you need to be in possession of the drug first, which is illegal since you don't have the ticket tax.

Same concept can be used with firearms. It's not really a ban, but a restriction that makes it impossible to legally posses them.

yeah.. its like a weird cycle... but if the thing falls out of the sky, you can have it
Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
This is my understanding (although some gun rights fanatic may school me on this):

Technically the US Constitution only applies to the Federal government, not state governments. But there's a loophole, where the Supreme Court can decide that parts of the Constitution apply to states through the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment. Over time they have used this loophole to make all but a few rights from the Bill of Rights apply to states. The 2d Amendment's right to bear arms is one of the few rights that have not been extended to the states (along with the Fifth Amendment right to an indictment by a grand jury and the Seventh Amendment right to a jury trial in civil cases). So states technically can outright ban guns if they want. Now I know they just had that Washington DC case . . but DC isn't a state and I'm pretty sure that the Supreme Court still has not extended the 2d Amendment right to bear arms to the states.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
jacques chirac

My Ride: Cheese smellin' feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
BTW, Joe, have you received the four M249 I ordered through our mexican "friends"

Smelly Cheese FTMFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
:lmao: your posts are the best
jacques chirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
BTW, Joe, have you received the four M249 I ordered through our mexican "friends"
I did. They make excellent paperweights... and my boss seems to be keeping his distance these days. I wonder why...

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
jacques chirac

My Ride: Cheese smellin' feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I just wanna shoot somebody
You have been reported.Not to tim. To the FBI

Smelly Cheese FTMFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
:lmao: your posts are the best
jacques chirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #16
Boosted_ZHP

My Ride: 88 325
Send a message via AIM to Boosted_ZHP
Quote:
Make sure to warn them with a shot first.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #17
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
Quote:
finally me and Jen can be together once they lock you up

Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi View Post
finally me and Jen can be together once they lock you up
I'm calling dibs on your existing wife's e60.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #19
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
^ lmao

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #20
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
The Gun Restriction in DC was unconstitutional, and was over turned by the Supreme Court. Of course it will take a while for that to actually take effect and for that to be applied to NYC and other areas. Gun Control is the shiny object Liberals use to distract people from the real problem. Gun laws only keep the law abiding citizens from being able to defend themselves. The term "assault rifle" is also a completely ridiculous term too. It refers to military style weapons, it has nothing to do with cailber or function merely physical attributes. There are far bigger caliber rifles that are also semi automatic that are not considered assault rifles because they aren't "military style" Anyway...some of them are reasonable...I agree there is no reason for a person to own a fully automatic weapon, none whatsoever, but restricting other firearms isn't a helpful measure..../end rant
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote