E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #41
MassBMW

My Ride: 325i
It wasnt too much work, about 5 mins each. I was hoping to get all these made this morning but since my local RS didnt have all the parts I figured I could make what I had. Any idea how much the chips are from mouser? I can make these for $3-4 each.

I have the manual here it says to use 6 resistors per module leaving the center pins open.

I would like to have a digital EQ, but this one has been working great for the last 8 years so I'll keep running it for now.
MassBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #42
adrian320

My Ride: 2002 2.2L I6 Sedan
It has been a while since I was very hooked on to the SQ sound, but whenever I see someone with a macintosh amp I always know there looking for superb SQ system. Needless to say I got very intrested in this Hybrid Audio Speakers, and I'm also waiting for your impressions once everything is installed and tunned. Seems you have your hands full by the momment, or one hand at least.....but is really looking good. Good luck.

No, no, there is no climate change, it just getting hotter and hotter....and hotter. Yeah, right!?!!?
adrian320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #43
MassBMW

Well some parts showed up and I have finally been able to set up the XO. Some of the XO points are a little off due to the resistor value, so I may just order some chips from AC after more time tuning. Anyway here are the numbers I came up with for the XO.

Highs - L1v2: 7.2-20kHz
Mids - L3: 218-7.2kHz
Lows - L6: 72-218Hz
Sub - 12w0: 28-90Hz

I think I am going to change the Sub and Lows to not overlap since they are going to cancel out. Anyone have thoughts on this?

My Brahma has seen better days so for now I am running a JL 12w0 off the Cadence A7-HC amp turned wayyyy down until I can scoop up an IDMAX. Anyway, for the few tracks I have listened too so far, this setup sounds amazing. I am very very happy with the clarity of these drivers. I can't wait to get a hold of a meter to fully dial this system in. I may even consider some EQT's for fine tuning...

Last edited by MassBMW; 02-09-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #44
adrian320

How it's been with your new system. What are your impressions with Hybrid Audio Comps?
Have you experienced any rattling from the door panel? I ask this because I saw you had to grind also the mounting post for 3 of the plugs that fix the door panel to the door or did you came up with something for that part.
Thanks and good luck!
Great setup!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #45
MassBMW

I havent had much time to tune the system, but have been listening to a lot of different stuff on my way to work everyday. The low end mids are so tight, loud, and low, it drowns out the 12w0 sub, very impressive. The driver/amp setup is nearly a perfect match.

I have some slight rattling at certain freq's, but knew I would since I have yet to dynamat the doors. It has been too cold here so that will have to wait until the spring/summer months. I really didn't want to cut all 3 posts fearing the door panel always being loose, but so far I cant notice any difference. Luckily BMW uses quality fasteners and, like always is well designed and engineered. The door panels were overbuilt to begin with and still work well.

Anyone have ideas on my question from my previous post? Thoughts on changing the Sub and Low freqs to not overlap???

Also if anyone local to me in the RI/SEMASS area who would like to hear these Hybrids first hand let me know.

Last edited by MassBMW; 02-17-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #46
Serious Sam

My Ride: 328i
I have read and been recommended by the guys at Bavarian Soundwerks to crossover the sub up to 10Hz "overlap" with the midbass in order to create a feeling that the bass is originating toward to front of the car, as opposed to coming from the trunk - where the sub is so commonly located.

What did Scott say at Hybrid Audio. He has tremendous experience, and would know where those speakers will be happiest.

Also, a friend of mine recently found this for making Audio Control Crossover Modules

http://www.web-tronics.com/metfilres14w1.html

here too.

http://www.web-tronics.com/general-s...p-headers.html

For Dip Headers and THE resistors that Audio Control recommends.

This system requires you to solder, and that may be more than people want to do.

My friend and I installed a system that utilized a 4xs and we changed a few of the headers. It was his first time solder, and he did every header without issue (tested to prove conformity as well).
Serious Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #47
MassBMW

Sweet, thanks for the links Sam! I will order some of those resistors and headers up and try them out. It really isnt that much work to put those together. I do like to be able to build a few different ones and be able to play around with the XO points easily.

You know, I forgot to ask Scott about the sub setting, must have been too excited to get the other drivers working. You mention a 10Hz "overlap", have you done this before and how well did it work? Was the imaging like you say? Again thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #48
Serious Sam

Yea, he is the shiznit on the computer for finding things.
Anyway. You are very welcome.

It is something that I want to try, but unfortunately have not had a chance to do so. It makes sense to my way of thinking, but thats worth "maybe" $.02
Its something I have read used a couple times to good effect, and something that has actually been recommended to me by the good gentlemen at BSW. I have the Stage 1 kit with my own sub. I cannot test in its current config, cause I have no idea where the factory amps XO's the midbass and the sub is using the amp XO which has been difficult to setup - to say the least. And the sub gets real boomy with any adjustment off of its lowest setting (50 to 250Hz). I'm also dealing with the age old problem of bass cancellation due to such good sound barrier that BMW's trunk provides. Does it sound like my system needs some improvement (a full proper installation, YES)

I'm not sure the AC unit has that ability as it uses the XO points as the low for one speaker and the high for the other - which if this is the case with EVERY header in the AC, then we cant get it done.

Having said all that, Its still my opinion that a properly setup sub to midbass relationship will not need this overlap, as best case scenario does not "reveal" the location of the subwoofer. That I have just experienced this week on the complete install I did for my IT friend mentioned above.

Edit: removed same thought

Would love to hear what Scott had to say.

Last edited by Serious Sam; 02-17-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #49
Serious Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam View Post

I'm not sure the AC unit has that ability as it uses the XO points as the low for one speaker and the high for the other - which if this is the case with EVERY header in the AC, then we cant get it done.
I checked the 4xs, and it does have teh ability to "overlap" as P1 is the bottom end of the midrange, and S is the sub XO point. So it stands to reason that it would not be hard to cut off the sub at 90 HZ and play the mid bass down to 70 Hz or so. Whatever sounded best.

I assume the 6xs is similar, but may even have better control of the sub, as the 4xs only has a front and rear input, while the 6xs has fr, rr AND sub inputs.

BTW, the 4xs can operate as a 4 way XO - handling a 3 way component system along with a sub to boot (no pun intended). Pretty versatile piece.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #50
Serious Sam

HAve you had a chance to contact Scott at HAT to see what he says about your installation of the sub to overlap with his midbass set?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #51
MassBMW

No, I havent had a chance to talk with Scott yet, but I will be sure to post up what he says.

The AC 4xs is a great little unit and has always worked well for me in many different configurations over the years.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #52
Serious Sam

The below quote is from an installer from the Chicago Area IIRC. He is a dealer for HAT's and has just recently finished an awesome installation for paste36prsnte46 that you can see over at DIYMA. It relates to our conversation about overlapping the sub and midbass.

"Good point.

One thing I have found that a bit of overlapping on the front midbass/subass will help bring the image forward and help sub localization problems.

*Note: Only if the front speakers are capable and the sub is not too far out of alignment & phase.

It is not the same for every car, but something to try."
Old 03-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #53
sulli

My Ride: 2000 328i
MassBMW,

Nice job cutting the door sheet metal. What did you use?
sulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #54
MassBMW

Thanks, I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel, then cleaned it up with a drum sander in a drill. I took a bit longer than I expected and was surprised how thick it the metal was in that area.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #55
Sh@rk

My Ride: Ford CVPI
Did you deaden the doors and finally tune the system? how does it sound. A review maybe?
Sh@rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #56
adrian320

Last heard form MassBMW was that the Hybryd Audio speakers sounded very very good. I don't recall he telling if he had sound deaden the doors yet. I haven't either.

Tags
audio contol, hybrid audio technologies, mcintosh