E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
AKe46

My Ride: 2003 325i
Cold air intake suggestions

What cai do you guys recommend for an 03 325i? My budget is about $300. Something with a big power boost. I was looking and Injen. What do you think about them?
AKe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
their is no intake out there now that will yield any major power gains. conversely on the newer e90's (06-xx) injen has made an intake that has been dyno proven by normal people to yield about 10hp. on the e46 however an intake shark injector and headders, all yield minimal gains, with headders being the largest gains. the e46 can only be made substantially more pwerful with cams, super/turbo charger, and a differential, which doesnt creat more power but puts it down better. goodluck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
SerbBMW

My Ride: 328Ci
also interested in getting a CAI, i just read in another thread someone said that the performace gets worse cuz ur cpu slows down timing or some shit?? is that true?.... is the KandN cai any good? im thinking bout getting that cuz i can get it at discount price. is a cai a waste of money?
SerbBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
SerbBMW

My Ride: 328Ci
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-1002
SerbBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
k7780446

My Ride: 323i
i have a conforti intake and recommend it! sounds great! but like stated before not a lot of power gains in any CAI
Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbBMW View Post
also interested in getting a CAI, i just read in another thread someone said that the performace gets worse cuz ur cpu slows down timing or some shit?? is that true?.... is the KandN cai any good? im thinking bout getting that cuz i can get it at discount price. is a cai a waste of money?
Yes.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKe46 View Post
What cai do you guys recommend for an 03 325i? My budget is about $300. Something with a big power boost. I was looking and Injen. What do you think about them?
Save the money and get a high flow filter instead:

Macht Schnell - M54BX High Performance Panel Air Filter
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2204

Cold air intakes provide little or no differencein HP. Since we're right around the corner from you in Santa Ana, you can already drop by and pick one up.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Agree. Drop in filter.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
CzarStav

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I got a K&N, I was going to drop some loot on something more expensive but our cars are factory tuned almost to the max so there is very little you can do to increase performance, short of Turbo/SC. If you get an intake, headers, full exhaust, this helps but it's quite a large investment for small performance gains. Plus, our stock intake systems are pretty effecient as is.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
Its all about good sounds
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Yea, these guys are right. I just bought the Dinan Air Box system and along with that I also bought the K&N intake tube. It should go together well. I haven't read nor seen this combo, I'll try it out and make a update. I'm pretty sure I'll need to add the software in the mix.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote