E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #21
joshm38
Banned

My Ride: 330ci/e30 project
reup pics plz
joshm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #22
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
FYI: installation for XI models will involve removing axles

- Retired -
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #23
jason122h

My Ride: 99' 323i
need some new pics
lost her life to a drunk driver 06/07/08
jason122h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #24
zactastic

My Ride: Merlin nonfixed gear
Send a message via AIM to zactastic
hey there, so on installing the headers, is the oxygen sensor going to trigger the light on the computer? now that the cats in the stock headers are gone, wont i need to add cats in the mid piping section to pass emissions?

thanks,

-Z
zactastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #25
\\V

My Ride: 2002 AW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zactastic View Post
hey there, so on installing the headers, is the oxygen sensor going to trigger the light on the computer? now that the cats in the stock headers are gone, wont i need to add cats in the mid piping section to pass emissions?

thanks,

-Z
If you use the spark defouler mod there should be no problems w/ the CEL/SES light going off. Depending on how strict emissions where you live you might not be able to pass emissions even w/ cats installed
\\V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #26
zhp 330

My Ride: 05 330ci
just finished the write up helped me so much. thanks. i dont know if it just me but my exhaust smells alot more like gasoline now. im still trying to see if i get better gas millage or not.
zhp 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #27
MJRMatt330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to MJRMatt330
hey guys, i have been doing this DIY for a while now, and FINALLY got all those damn nuts off the headers... 16 of those little bastards and all 16 are in unbelievable locations... my god... anyway, how do i get the headers out of the engine bay now? it seems they are stuck. Any help/tips are greatly appreciated...
Interior/Sound- Tri-M3 wheel, Leather ///M shiftknob, DICE iPod integration, JL Audio 10" Whoofers, Custom Box, JL Audio 250/1 Amp

MJRMatt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #28
\\V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRMatt330 View Post
hey guys, i have been doing this DIY for a while now, and FINALLY got all those damn nuts off the headers... 16 of those little bastards and all 16 are in unbelievable locations... my god... anyway, how do i get the headers out of the engine bay now? it seems they are stuck. Any help/tips are greatly appreciated...
I'm pretty sure you're finished by now and riding around but Start w/ the one closest to the front of your car.

Btw, you could have just removed the the first out before starting/unbolting the second header. It would have made your job a bit easier.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #29
BMWilli
G-cool, G-smooth, G-style

My Ride: 323 Ci
sub
BMWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #30
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Here are the differences between Supersprint headers and eBay headers - the ebay headers are pretty much junk for a modded head....I will use them to reduce the backpressure made my the cats then install some high flow cats post headers for the wagon....Look at the differences in the internal flow - molded and beveled on the Supersprint...and the eBay have flow restrictions and the exposed pipe will cause turbulence. Also the eBay headers are not even close to being port matched to the exhaust manifold....but are the same size as the stock exhaust ports on the head.

They look the same from the outside - but the welds and the internal flow is where the extra money spent come into play

The Superspint headers when installed are closer together at the exit and match the OEM exhaust and the Supersprint exhaust - the eBay headers have a 1/2" LARGER gap

Superspint headers

eBay headers

The ports on the Supersprint - notice the smoother inner area

The eBay headers inside

Old 09-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #31
BMWilli

Does anyone know how much torque to use when installing the headers?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #32
RXP rider

My Ride: E46 325Ci 04'
so when u finish up the install, and u install everything back in u can still reach the header bolts? or do u have to leave the splash pan out? so when u heat them up and retighten them. thnkx
RXP rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #33
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
it is easier to get to the three or four bolts from the bottom - so i would leave the pan off until you are 100% done
Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #34
benp2k6

My Ride: '02 325i
Nice write up! Yeah I have been sitting on my headers since FEBRUARY!!! I attempted it once, but it started getting late on a Sunday night & didn't want to have to rush to finish it. This definitely answered some questions, and hopefully has sparked some inspiration! I've sorta been waiting to find a friend with a lift
benp2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #35
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Havin aftermarket headers, what catback exhaust is best to use with?

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #36
BMWilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
Havin aftermarket headers, what catback exhaust is best to use with?
Depending on what you would consider as best.....best performance? best looking? best sounding?

I wouldn't say there is a best exhaust to use with, as most exhausts don't provide much HP compared with some other mods. As for looks, it just depends on what tip style you like.

Now for sound, that is totally up to you again (if you search for sound clips on here you will see quite a few options) How loud do you want, how quiet do you want? Do you like drone or rasp? Do you want to annoy anyone?

Seeing that if you put in headers you won't really have a cat, unless you get an aftermarket one welded in.

After saying that, it would be really loud with headers, no resonators, and a tse3 or straight pipe, but if you had headers, both resonators, and your stock muffler it will be more on the quiet side except that it will have a low rumble.

For a sound in between, I think that you should keep one resonator on, and go with any Ikon, Remus, Stromung, Supersprint, stock muffler, etc (whatever your preferrence), would be fine.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #37
SweTurbo
Banned User

My Ride: 323i -98
Bump this awesome thread

Going for the swap either today or tomorrow , anyone has any ideas on what i should think about ?(Tourqe..etc)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #38
urho

My Ride: e46 328Ci
Where i have to put lambda sensors? first or second hole? and 02 after cats?
urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #39
\\V

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Where i have to put lambda sensors? first or second hole? and 02 after cats?
You would place them in the order of the original headers, pre and post sensor. Label them when you prior to removal

Last edited by \\V; 02-22-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #40
iftwb

My Ride: E46 320i + E60 530i
Send a message via MSN to iftwb
Good DIY, but unfortunately, I couldn't do a DIY for mine and I've still got eBay headers lying in my garage. Purchasing eBay headers from the US meant I would get LHD ones, and unfortunately; as well all know we drive on the right. Modifications at my local exhaust workshop would set me back at least a few hundred $AUD - and at the moment; I've got no money from spending too much money on different parts. =(
iftwb is offline   Reply With Quote