E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #41
e4sixxx

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekpsycho View Post
I actually did this DIY a while back...Interesting how similar yours looks to mine. Although I sacrificed the velocity stack design for safety reasons. I left my panel K&N filter instead and i didn't run my piping down directly to the fog light. I ran it behind my lower grille so that it would catch large debris that would otherwise end up in my airbox. Also, not having it meet a sealed opening on the front of the car lowers the risk for vacuuming up large amounts of WATER! I used PVC about 2 years ago and it still looks good. I also cleaned up some of the tabs on the inside of the box and painted the whole thing in Ceramic paint... The best part is the suction noise it creates, AWESOME! Along with the Shark Injector, some very noticeable gains.
great minds think alike lol
e4sixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #42
shointake

My Ride: 2001 e46 330i
Ram AIR OWNZ!.. great MOD bro bro!!

Im gonna get a COSMO RACING INTAKE HEAT SHIELF for like $100 bucks, i have a CONE SHAPPED OPEN ENDED FILTER on my car already.. Not running a Stock Box and it sounds great and MPG jumped drasticallly
shointake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #43
AntB

My Ride: MTA :(
Water + Intake = Explosion. Seen an engine that had a piston go though the side of the block and damage other components at one of my mechanics shops. He said it was because the engine sucked in water. I don't know how factual this is, but it makes me afraid to do anything more than the K&N CAI and water sock to my intake.

From Wiki:
Quote:
Hydrolock (short for either hydraulic lock or hydrostatic lock) is a condition of an internal combustion engine in which an incompressible liquid has been introduced into its cylinder(s), resulting in the immobilization of the engine's pistons. The liquid causing this malfunction is often water, hence the prefix "hydro-". Hydrolock occurs in a 4-stroke engine when liquid is sucked into the engine's cylinder(s) during the intake stroke and, due to the incompressibility of the liquid, makes the compression stroke impossible. This, in turn, prevents the entire engine from turning, and can cause significant engine damage if one attempts to forcibly turn over or start the engine. Typically, connecting rods will be bent, making the engine uneconomical to repair.
You guys should definitely be careful with this mod, also search google for hydrolock, it isn't pretty.

Here's one thread from a corvette forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tml?forum_id=1

Last edited by AntB; 11-11-2008 at 09:28 PM.
AntB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #44
chanlon7

My Ride: 03' BMW 330xi
nice ideas... keep em coming.

Last edited by chanlon7; 02-24-2009 at 09:10 PM.
chanlon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #45
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
well ill be god damned thats a nice intake setup
DarkJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #46
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
OEM intake box > *
Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #47
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Yup. I've said it once and I'll say it again. The portion of BMW's R&D department dedicated to developing the airbox has a larger budget than any aftermarket supplier out there. The answer is not always "cone filter + heat shield".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
OEM intake box > *
Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #48
jelias714

My Ride: Paid Off!!!
iam doing the same method for thanksgiving weekend holidays.
jelias714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #49
e4sixxx

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelias714 View Post
iam doing the same method for thanksgiving weekend holidays.
good luck and post pics
e4sixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #50
derek0606

My Ride: 01 330CI Orient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
The site says that the kit consists of the air duct, filter and CF airbox and costs 3500EUR
The radiator does look aftermarket though (silver etc) and it does seem to be lower as you said.

As far as I recall I don't have a fan in front of my radiator, so I can just install this duct system (DIY of course) right up to the kidneys.

Here's what I'm thinking:

DIY the stuff circled in red. Either made of metal, plastic or custom made CF
The turquoise would be where the MAF is positioned.

Now for us 323/328 owners: We can get gains by installing an M54B30 intake manifold, and they are not minimal either, as far as I've heard. Good part: THAT'S STILL POSSIBLE by going with the frontal RAM intake DIY.
I know its a old post but I can see this overheating since it covers almost all the radiator.
derek0606 is offline   Reply With Quote