E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #61
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClownPrince View Post
Why does it sound like a HONDA? Other than that car seems pretty damn cool
You have 2 posts...shut the fuck up and get the fuck out.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #62
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
sweet - sorry about the hood and broken suspension
There's always little things that catch you when you're having fun. Overall, I had a fantastic day...really enjoyed myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Excellent!! That thing sounds MEAN! It seems you handled the mishaps rather well. The hood incident sounded very funny, and must have scared the crap out of the tech. Overall, sounds like a very successful (not to mention MONUMENTAL) day for you sir! Congrats!

Bart
Thanks man! It does sound mean in person...even though it's pretty loud...it's a "sweet" kind of loud instead of an "annoying" loud.

The tech was pretty cool about the whole thing...after all that he knows I've been through with this car, he knew I'd roll with the punches. Even though I'm a little bit disapointed about my roof, glass, and hood right now, I've got lots of other things that are going well to balance it all out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSmoak View Post
Do you plan on eventually using brake ducts, noticed in previous thread you already have the backing plates?
Yes, I have all the duct work, I just haven't mounted it yet. I just need some spare time to sort out my bumper....

And a couple of follow up pictures.

Here I'm strapping in again with the Shop Forman for another attempt at some 2nd gear runs after we removed the hood:

Expert body shop technique to straighten out the hood:

Fun times...
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #63
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
@ straightening the hood! Must be nice to be driving around again! Awesome work Adam! I absolutely love the sound...

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #64
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
^^^ I don't really think it sounds like a Honda.... Sounds like a B30 thats revving 7k plus
Are you ever going to change out the Beyern wheels for something else? Those are definitely heavy-set
Funny thing...JD Racing specializes in Honda tuning...and he didn't say anything about it sounding like one. I guess I need a better microphone? It is different in person...

He he...lots of people mention the wheels. Yes they are heavy, but I'm not worried about them at this point. (I have other wheels BTW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal320i View Post
Wow, sounds awesome. Good job getting it running on first turn of the key. Pin down that hood, fix the minor issues and you are set!!!

Can we see the graphs to see your usable power.
Thank you. Well...technically it wasn't the first "try" to start it...but it did fire up pretty quick when it did.

No dyno graphs yet, I need to sort out some issues first.

I will say that the car is pretty quick even with the issues. I left a nice little strip in 2nd gear from 5000 to 7500 RPM, and that was starting with a 2000 RPM roll-on with 275 rears. (No clutch drop)
Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #65
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
@ straightening the hood! Must be nice to be driving around again! Awesome work Adam! I absolutely love the sound...
Thanks.

It was pretty sweet to get a taste of it again...I missed it.

Yeah...that hood picture makes me smile.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #66
BillyJoelR

My Ride: Velvy B.
Great progress. Brilliant indeed! That thing just sounds beastly.

BillyJoelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #67
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Hey,

I just heard the dyno clip and the car sounds really good especially after you peaked at redline and slowed the engine down. It sounded really good.

Regards,
Loay

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #68
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Awesome work, Adam. I wish you the best with it. I can't wait to see it fully ready after you're done with the shade-down process. By the way, it kinda looks like you cracked your roof. If so, are you going to replace it? And can we get some pics of the damage? (not to pour salt on an open wound, of course)
Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #69
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA6_BJR View Post
Great progress. Brilliant indeed! That thing just sounds beastly.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by loayo View Post
Hey,

I just heard the dyno clip and the car sounds really good especially after you peaked at redline and slowed the engine down. It sounded really good.

Regards,
Loay
Thank you. It does make power up there too...just not enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
Awesome work, Adam. I wish you the best with it. I can't wait to see it fully ready after you're done with the shade-down process. By the way, it kinda looks like you cracked your roof. If so, are you going to replace it? And can we get some pics of the damage? (not to pour salt on an open wound, of course)
The roof is fine. In the pics there is some salt/dirt from the road that got into the creases where it's bent; that makes it look worse than it is.

I've got so much work to do on other parts of the car this week I'm not even going to touch any of the body stuff...
Old 03-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #70
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Absolutely amazing
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #71
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Sweet car dude, sucks about the issues but we know you'll get them resolved. This thing looks so F'ing sweet
Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #72
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
Has anybody mistaken your gigantic radiator for an intercooler yet?

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #73
AL330CI

My Ride: 330Ci
That's a lot of meat under thoses wheel arches. You may have already mentioned them in your previous posts but would you mind sharing the wheel & tire sizes and offsets again? Are they rubbing. I love how the tires fill up the arches. It gives the car an very functional hunkered down look. Correct me if my memory is wrong, you'd previously metioned they rubbed a little under extreme load?
I continue to find your build to be very informative. As what everyone have said time and again, can't wait for the next update.
AL330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #74
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkwithanr View Post
I showed a pic of the car to another fanatic I was talking to on AIM. He thought it was an intercooler.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #75
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
Absolutely amazing
Glad you are enjoying the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ous View Post
Sweet car dude, sucks about the issues but we know you'll get them resolved. This thing looks so F'ing sweet
Ah...the one day it was clean. It's now covered from front to back in road grim...time to clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkwithanr View Post
Not yet in person, but people have thought that the oil cooler was my radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL330CI View Post
That's a lot of meat under thoses wheel arches. You may have already mentioned them in your previous posts but would you mind sharing the wheel & tire sizes and offsets again? Are they rubbing. I love how the tires fill up the arches. It gives the car an very functional hunkered down look. Correct me if my memory is wrong, you'd previously metioned they rubbed a little under extreme load?
I continue to find your build to be very informative. As what everyone have said time and again, can't wait for the next update.
Complicated topic.

Right now, the 275/35/18s on the back do not rub on any sheetmetal throughout all of the available suspension travel. Keep in mind though, that I've had a LOT of sheetmetal work done inside the fender well to make these work. They do hit the rear bumper plastic though...which will be trimmed shortly. These tires do not fit a stock 330Ci without extensive modification.

Wheels are Bayern Mesh 18" X 9.5" in the back, and 8.5" in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I showed a pic of the car to another fanatic I was talking to on AIM. He thought it was an intercooler.
Hey...I would have thought the same thing if I didn't know the car.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #76
mkodama

So now that your OEM hood got a few "scratches" in it from your incident, are you just going too replace it with a carbon hood right away?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #77
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
how many donkeys are you expecting to get out of this incredible machine you have built?
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #78
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
So now that your OEM hood got a few "scratches" in it from your incident, are you just going too replace it with a carbon hood right away?
For the moment, I'm not going to change it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immigrant View Post
how many donkeys are you expecting to get out of this incredible machine you have built?
Interesting terminology.

At the crank or at the rear wheels?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #79
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Amazing how with those tires you loose traction so easily. I used to have a 330ci stock and then had the Dinan S package. When I saw that in a second gear pull you lost traction at 5k RPM I was like Do you have a non-stock diff? LSD? Also, how cold was it. I wonder if the tires could have been hard and without much traction due to the cold? At any rate, beautiful !!!

Regards,
Loay

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #80
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by loayo View Post
Amazing how with those tires you loose traction so easily. I used to have a 330ci stock and then had the Dinan S package. When I saw that in a second gear pull you lost traction at 5k RPM I was like Do you have a non-stock diff? LSD? Also, how cold was it. I wonder if the tires could have been hard and without much traction due to the cold? At any rate, beautiful !!!

Regards,
Loay
It was probably 45 degrees out...tires are RA-1s which take some heat in them to get optimal traction. Still...it was interesting to see the marks on the pavement...

I'm running a custom Diffs Online race diff.