E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Connecting PC to HDTV

The way I'm planned on doing this: TV hung on the wall in one room, PC in the other room on the other side of the wall. Use DVI-HDMI to connect PC to TV for video... this is where I start questioning my plan... connect audio to PC speaker AND tv by using a splitter.

Two concerns:

1. Will I be able to use a splitter successfully for this purpose?
2. Can I plug in an DVI-HDMI cable that doesn't carry sound and ADD audio cables?

My TV model is TH-50PZ80U. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
impulse90

My Ride: .
The splitter shouldn't pose any issues. As for your other question, I would assume you wouldn't be able to do this unless there are RCA inputs in the same bank as the HDMI input.

EDIT: After reviewing a few photos of your set, it appears that your goal could only be met by using the front inputs. Maybe check the menu and see if it allows for alternate audio input while in the HDMI channels. Hell, it may pull audio from the RCA in the back regardless. RTFM!!

2nd EDIT:

HDTV Capability HDTV Tuner Inside
Connectors SD Card Slot

HDMI Input: 3 (1 front)

Analog Audio Input (for HDMI): 2

Composite Video Input: 2 (1 front)

S-Video Input: 2 (1 front)

Audio Input (for Video): 2 (1 front)

Component Video Input [Y, PB(CB), PR(CR)]: 2

Audio Input (for Component Video): 2

Composite Video Output: 1

Audio Output: 1

Digital Audio Out: 1

Last edited by impulse90; 01-22-2009 at 07:40 AM.
impulse90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse90 View Post
The splitter shouldn't pose any issues. As for your other question, I would assume you wouldn't be able to do this unless there are RCA inputs in the same bank as the HDMI input.

EDIT: After reviewing a few photos of your set, it appears that your goal could only be met by using the front inputs. Maybe check the menu and see if it allows for alternate audio input while in the HDMI channels. Hell, it may pull audio from the RCA in the back regardless. RTFM!!

2nd EDIT:

HDTV Capability HDTV Tuner Inside
Connectors SD Card Slot

HDMI Input: 3 (1 front)

Analog Audio Input (for HDMI): 2

Composite Video Input: 2 (1 front)

S-Video Input: 2 (1 front)

Audio Input (for Video): 2 (1 front)

Component Video Input [Y, PB(CB), PR(CR)]: 2

Audio Input (for Component Video): 2

Composite Video Output: 1

Audio Output: 1

Digital Audio Out: 1
Is that what I need?

Looking at the manual, it leads me to believe this could work for me:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.GIF
Views:	28
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	299557  

Last edited by 'busa; 01-22-2009 at 08:14 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
impulse90

My Ride: .
yeah, you'll connect your 3.5mm phone plug to RCA cable to one of those.

Last edited by impulse90; 01-22-2009 at 08:19 AM.
impulse90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
'busa

Awesome. Thanks. Sometimes I just like getting a bit feedback.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
John_Peters

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
2. Can I plug in an DVI-HDMI cable that doesn't carry sound and ADD audio cables?
DVI does not carry any sound at all, so you will not have to worry about that.
John_Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Peters View Post
DVI does not carry any sound at all, so you will not have to worry about that.
I know. I wasn't sure that there is a connection between the HDMI input and the analog audio input. In other words, I wasn't sure that when I turn to HDMI 1 input, that I would get the sound from the audio input. According to the manual and the pic I posted, it's possible.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
The Jerk

My Ride: E46 M3
This may help... I've discovered that some high end HDMI switching amps do not allow you to supplement a non-audio HDMI signal with sound from RCA inputs. It's either 100% RCA, or 100% HDMI. Best way is to simply get the equipment from a store (with no restocking fees) and try it out.

As for adding audio to a DVI-HDMI cable, do you mean that you would cut/solder into it? I wonder if you can do that... tap in an RCA analog signal, or if it has to be digital with a certain impedance.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
This may help... I've discovered that some high end HDMI switching amps do not allow you to supplement a non-audio HDMI signal with sound from RCA inputs. It's either 100% RCA, or 100% HDMI. Best way is to simply get the equipment from a store (with no restocking fees) and try it out.
There's no equipment to get other than an audio cable splitter maybe. I have the PC and I have the TV. It's just that, as it's setup now, I can't connect them, but I will be able to soon.

Quote:
As for adding audio to a DVI-HDMI cable, do you mean that you would cut/solder into it? I wonder if you can do that... tap in an RCA analog signal, or if it has to be digital with a certain impedance.
They sell DVI-HDMI cables. The image posted above leads me to believe that the TV will output digital video with analog audio if connected with an HDMI or DVI-HDMI cable and audio (L&R) cables.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
The Jerk

You are trying to get your computer's audio/video outputted to your TV, correct?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
'busa

Quote:
You are trying to get your computer's audio/video outputted to your TV, correct?
Right.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
The Jerk

HDMI does not seem to like "playing well" with RCA audio. Even if your TV has RCA audio input jacks AND HDMI available for, say, "Video 1"... they don't seem to work together. HDMI takes over! Hopefully my explanation makes sense...

You may need to resort to component (or s-video) to get both audio & video from the computer onto that screen.

At least, this is what I had to do with my setup. When the TV sees that the video portion is coming from HDMI, it won't accept any other audio input. I experience the same thing with my TV and receiver, so I am guessing this is "the way it is".
Old 01-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
'busa

Quote:
HDMI does not seem to like "playing well" with RCA audio. Even if your TV has RCA audio input jacks AND HDMI available for, say, "Video 1"... they don't seem to work together. HDMI takes over! Hopefully my explanation makes sense...

You may need to resort to component (or s-video) to get both audio & video from the computer onto that screen.
Always an option, although not the preferred one.

Quote:
At least, this is what I had to do with my setup. When the TV sees that the video portion is coming from HDMI, it won't accept any other audio input. I experience the same thing with my TV and receiver, so I am guessing this is "the way it is".
That was my fear, but doesn't the illustration I posted above claim otherwise?

I'll give it a try.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
The Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
. . . That was my fear, but doesn't the illustration I posted above claim otherwise? . . .
One would think so, however, this did not work on my TV (which I admit is a "cheapo")... and did not work on my receiver (which is $$$).
Old 03-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #15
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
you can buy the splitter and connect it to your tv w no problem but i read on avsforums that most people just use vga cables. i connect my xpc pc with vga for picture and use an optical cable for sound. looks just as good as my dvd player which uses a belkin silver series hdmi cable