E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
lacrosseguy017

My Ride: 94 325i full m3 swap
installing headers, any last regards?

tomorrow, saturday, i'm going to start and hopefully finish the ebay header install for my car and i was just wondering if anyone had any last words of advice to offer up before i get too involved and remember that i should have just asked you all.

so any advice?
any really would be great.

i've already been told to get my hands on OEM gaskets before install so i have the correct ones but clarity was never brought to my question about that. my question was, I received gaskets with the headers, so are these the ones i need or are you all saying that these will be worthless and that i need to get factory gastkets?

thanks in advance.

1994 325i with full m3 swap from 1995 m3 /// S50 Engine ///Dinan 2 Chip /// CAI /// Cat delete /// Front and Rear Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors /// Coilovers /// 8000K Hella Projectors /// 8000K Angel Eyes
lacrosseguy017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
Autobot325i

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy017 View Post
tomorrow, saturday, i'm going to start and hopefully finish the ebay header install for my car and i was just wondering if anyone had any last words of advice to offer up before i get too involved and remember that i should have just asked you all.

so any advice?
any really would be great.

i've already been told to get my hands on OEM gaskets before install so i have the correct ones but clarity was never brought to my question about that. my question was, I received gaskets with the headers, so are these the ones i need or are you all saying that these will be worthless and that i need to get factory gastkets?

thanks in advance.

make sure you have various size 11mm sockets long and short..different range of extensions.
have a 11mm open & closed socket

each bolt requires a different style...to get that damn thing off

i've done ebay headers 3 times already. and I learned that all nuts can be accessed from the bottom, no need to remove any from the top of the engine bay. so no need to take off the secondary air pump.

make sure you have a small price of wood to jack the engine up so you can remove the engine mount. distribute the load so the jack is not digging into the engine.

lossen up the exhaust so it has room to move back when taking off the oem headers.

thats pretty much the pointers i can give you...just finised one last night for another fanatic

also if you can get shorter bolts for the header end to exhasut...do so, i personally think the ones it ships with is wayyy to long.

Last edited by Autobot325i; 03-06-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Autobot325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
lacrosseguy017

sweet, thanks. i'll be using my dad's garage which pretty much has every tool imaginable, lol, but also it has a scissor lift, so i'm already thinking about only using it to jack the car up a little bit because i know supporting the engine with a jack cant be done when lifted high up but also i know that kind of lift will limit my accessibility to stuff like the exhaust.

whats your opinion on the gaskets that come with the headers though? good? bad?

thanks again

1994 325i with full m3 swap from 1995 m3 /// S50 Engine ///Dinan 2 Chip /// CAI /// Cat delete /// Front and Rear Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors /// Coilovers /// 8000K Hella Projectors /// 8000K Angel Eyes
Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
someone just made a thread like this not too long ago, http://www.coolpl8z.com/pl8z/final/c...20gin%20ya.jpg

i was hoping to have had mine done by now but i had to send them back cuz i got the wrong ones. I definatly wanna come check yours out when youre done. U comin to laurel right?
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Autobot325i

believe or not i have use the gaskets for another reason...and they suck! get OEM most people will agree to that
Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
lacrosseguy017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrothunderr86 View Post
someone just made a thread like this not too long ago, http://www.coolpl8z.com/pl8z/final/c...20gin%20ya.jpg

i was hoping to have had mine done by now but i had to send them back cuz i got the wrong ones. I definatly wanna come check yours out when youre done. U comin to laurel right?
yeah, im definitely trying to come over to that meet. so when i get there, i'll just show up with my red angel eyes on so if you see that you'll know its me.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #7
lacrosseguy017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot325i View Post
believe or not i have use the gaskets for another reason...and they suck! get OEM most people will agree to that
damn, alright, i'll have to see if i can get some of those tomorrow morning before i start doing anything. also i'll have to use a different car to do that otherwise the engine will be too hot, ha.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
lacrosseguy017

hey, i finally got done installing the headers today with the help of my friend and my dad and it took some time but the ones i got actually had built in spark plug defoulers for the o2 sensors so it worked fine. we had problems getting one o2 sensor in so im only running on 3 outa 4 so i have the CEL on right now, but we are going to fix that by welding in another inlet for the o2 because there area that it is in doesnt have enough area.

other than that everything went pretty smoothly, it was just time consuming.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #9
mdsonicTT

My Ride: 3rd gear
with all respect, what Rob Levinson @ UUC said
mdsonicTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 AM   #10
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
awesome! lets get that sould clip now. did u hit any major snags, did u do everything from the bottom or dod u remove the air pump and cabin filter ducting. does the car feel any different? I hope these guys send the correct headers back to me soon.
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:17 AM   #11
eric_waltrip

My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
how is it? does it feel quicker? how loud etc. ?
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #12
juslookin

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot325i View Post
make sure you have various size 11mm sockets long and short..different range of extensions.
have a 11mm open & closed socket

each bolt requires a different style...to get that damn thing off

i've done ebay headers 3 times already. and I learned that all nuts can be accessed from the bottom, no need to remove any from the top of the engine bay. so no need to take off the secondary air pump.

make sure you have a small price of wood to jack the engine up so you can remove the engine mount. distribute the load so the jack is not digging into the engine.

lossen up the exhaust so it has room to move back when taking off the oem headers.

thats pretty much the pointers i can give you...just finised one last night for another fanatic

also if you can get shorter bolts for the header end to exhasut...do so, i personally think the ones it ships with is wayyy to long.

how much you charge people to put headers in??
juslookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
cmajor009

My Ride: ///monster
im gonna attempt to do this too myself but how hard was it and how many people do u recomend to help out

My e4rtysick
cmajor009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
lacrosseguy017

it really was not that hard, just takes time and a little bit of patience. but including me, there was 3 people working to get the headers off, but to put them back on, only two, but i'd really only recommend two because three just starts getting too crowded and one person ends up not really doing anything except getting in the way. but make sure your accomplice is somewhat skilled to and knows tools at least so that way you are not basically doing this yourself.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #15
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
How does it feel/sound?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
how long man... ive had my headers sitting in my closet powder coated for a couple months and i finally going to do it wed morning... i have work at 7 at night though so im going to start at like 10 am i should finish in time... im not a retard at mechanics... ia lso will have 2 knowledgeable friends with me and also a cherry picker(engine lift)

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #17
Autobot325i

just fyi...if you plan onm doing this task dont give yourself a time frame like that.

you can never tell...
Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #18
Superhiro

My Ride: 2006 330ci ZHP
How are you liking the sound? Got any sound clips? I'm not sure I like the sound of mine...

http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthr...13#post9553013
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
lacrosseguy017

Matt & Superhiro,
honestly, there isnt too much of a difference in the sound, but at take off and low speeds i tend to be able to hear it better, but no, no sound clips considering there really isnt too much of a difference. but the headers combined with my intake make for a noticeable change.

Iwannagofast,
as autobot said, try not to give yourself a time frame. but honestly, it took me a total of 11 hours to get mine installed but the was an hour in there for dinner then another hour to take my friends girlfriend home and to stop by his house so he could get a few things and then about another half hour in there for when i had to go to home depot to get bolts for the exhaust. the bolts that connected the original manifold to the exhaust flanges (or whatever that little area at the end of the headers is called) would not fit into the new headers so i had to go out and by 4 1/2"x1.25"x40mm bolts and matching nuts. I believe those are the right dimensions, i know it is definitely a 1/2" bolt though, length and threading is really up to you. So i guess you could say that it really took me about 8.5 hours, but that was with taking my time. so if you and your accomplices stay on task and just try to get it done, you should be able to finish in your time frame, I would just recommend, like autobot, that you not subject yourself to a time frame.
Also, there really was no need for a cherry picker, you just need a lift if you can get to one or at least a jack and stands then a jack with a 2x4 that is at least 12-18" in length to support the engine. remember that you will only be removing the passenger side engine mount so that leaves the driver side in so that will give some extra support along with the jack and 2x4.

good luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
well tomorrow morning is the big day, im gonna say fuk work and im going to try and do it lol... we have a couple jacks... ramps... all tools will hopefully come through waiting o my friends word(hes at work now) but 90 % we will have all the tools we will need.... i have the spark plug defoulers. oem gaskets.... i dont know what else do you guys think ill need... the headers i got came with bolts for the exhaust flanges so i doubt i will have to go out and buy them... but just in case lacrosseguy017 if you see this would you go back tonight and double check non the size bolts you had to buy... theres a home depot 2 min away in case... of course ill be taking pics n everything of install for you guys

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebay, headers, install