E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
iDriftYou

My Ride: is a HighWay monster
Talking DIY ZF 5HP19 Transmission Drain & Refill

K here's my contribution to E46 Fanatics!
Materials Used:
8mm & 6mm Allan keys
Siphon Pump
4~5 quarts of Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF
10 Gallon Container
2 Jack Stands
1 Jack
2 Rhino Ramps
A ass load of sweat.
Step 1:
-Drive your car on Ramps(Or jack it up W/E you prefer)

-Jack up the back and put it on Jack stands

Step 2:
-Locate the Fill Bolt on the transmission

-Now twist this sucker Counter-Clockwise using a 8mm Allen Key, there isn't enough space to get a breaker bar in there so just beat on the Allen key with a rubber mallet or hammer, it was a PITA to get off, but finally it came off. Now get you catch container ready, because fluid is going pour out of there like no body's business. About 2.5~3Q of fluid should come out.

Step 3:
-Locate the Drain Bolt

- This bolt takes a 6mm Allen key and was easy as pie to get off. Now More fluid will come out, about 1Q.

Step 4:
- Put the Drain bolt back on and tighten it down, I didn't have a torque wrench so I tightened it as I thought was sufficient.

Step 5:
- Pump the new fluid in through the fill hole. I used this pump

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3878

- I was only able to get around 2.4Q in, the I put the fill bolt back in finger tight, and started the car up, shifted through all the gears twice and held each gear for about 2.5sec. Then with the car on, put it in park, open up the fill bolt, and start pumping in new fluid, I was able to get about 1.4Q in and then started to overflow, and then I put the bolt back it. It was a pain in the ass to put back in, your hands are oily, and your freking sweating bullets because your sacred(I was). Anyways got the fill bolt in, tightened it down, didn't have a torque wrench and just tightened it with the Allan key, and struck the key with a hammer a couple of times and called it a day.

- Congratz You have officially drained and refilled your tranny! I just did the drain and refill due to my car having 100,365 miles on it, and was worried about the filter/gasket change so decided to just do the Drain/ refill processes. Now I was only able to get 3.8Q in and took out about 4, so I think it should be fine.

Currently Have 10 miles on the new ATF and car seems fine, will update every 1k miles.

Current: 1990 Toyota Supra
Mods: CP pistons/ Eagle rods/ HKS MHG/ 264 Cams/ Rebuilt CT26
Future: GT35r
My DIY:
DIY ZF 5HP19 Transmission Drain/ Refill : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712

"My life doesn't only move in a straight line, why should my car?"

Last edited by iDriftYou; 03-10-2009 at 09:10 AM.
iDriftYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Nice DIY. Though the blurry bolt pictures doesn't really give a clear location for them. Here's madrussian's M3 bolts. Not sure if they are same for non-M3's:

BTW, I can recommend copper grease to be smothered on your exhaust. It is water and heat resistant. It dries to whitish mud like colour. Better looking than rust anyway and it adds protection against more rusting. I find it good for all rusty bare metal parts including the metal frame inside the dash.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 03-10-2009 at 12:52 AM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
iDriftYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Nice DIY. Though the blurry bolt pictures doesn't really give a clear location for them. Here's madrussian's M3 bolts, not sure if they are same for non-M3's:

BTW, I can recommend copper grease to be smothered on your exhaust. It is water and heat resistant. It dries to whitish mud like colour. Better looking than rust anyway and it adds protection against more rusting. I find it is good for all rusty bare metal parts including the metal frame inside the dash.
Thanks for the pic & advice, will find some and apply some asap!

My DIY:
DIY ZF 5HP19 Transmission Drain/ Refill : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712

Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
Len013091

My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
Quote:
Nice DIY. Though the blurry bolt pictures doesn't really give a clear location for them. Here's madrussian's M3 bolts. Not sure if they are same for non-M3's:

BTW, I can recommend copper grease to be smothered on your exhaust. It is water and heat resistant. It dries to whitish mud like colour. Better looking than rust anyway and it adds protection against more rusting. I find it good for all rusty bare metal parts including the metal frame inside the dash.
That's a manual transmission...
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
330CI_DROOLER

My Ride: bimmer?
My car is approaching 100.000 and this sounds easy, how long did it take? I read on some other tranny fluid posts that some members fill/drain/fill/drain/fill the tranny before the job is complete...
330CI_DROOLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

I thought your underside looked different, now I realise why. How comes you don't have #1 & #3 on your car ?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
iDriftYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CI_DROOLER View Post
My car is approaching 100.000 and this sounds easy, how long did it take? I read on some other tranny fluid posts that some members fill/drain/fill/drain/fill the tranny before the job is complete...
You can do that also, but im planing on changing the filter/ gasket in about 10k miles, so just a drain/ refill for the time being just to get some new fluid in there. Btw after 100k miles, the fluid had a dark green color to it, A LOT better than I though it would be. It took about 3 hours, due to me being retarded and it was my first time doing it, but now I know the precedure, it should take about 2 hours tops.

My DIY:

Last edited by iDriftYou; 03-10-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 AM   #8
iDriftYou

Quote:
I thought your underside looked different, now I realise why. How comes you don't have #1 & #3 on your car ?

yea, I think after 2001 the undercarriage changed, don't quote me on that though.

My DIY:

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
nice DIY

that kinda looks spooky with the front on ramps and rear on stands. The front doesn't have the trans or brakes to stop it from rolling. If somebody leaned up against the car it could have rolled off the ramps. don't want anything to happen to you or anyone else. maybe put the rear on ramps and front on stands next time

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Best to put the whole car on ramps. Those puny jack stands seriously scares me.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
iDriftYou check your valve cover if there is an oil leak, on the pics you can see oil marks on lower part of engine, good job, I have to do mine in couple of weeks, almost 50K
Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #12
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Nice write-up, but
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrec57 View Post
iDriftYou check your valve cover if there is an oil leak, on the pics you can see oil marks on lower part of engine, good job, I have to do mine in couple of weeks, almost 50K
Well spotted and mentioned..
Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
iDriftYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrec57 View Post
Yea, I had a huge oil leak back @ 92k, From the VGC, and the Oil filter housing gasket, but now all is fixed

My DIY:

Old 03-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
iDriftYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirsh View Post
nice DIY

that kinda looks spooky with the front on ramps and rear on stands. The front doesn't have the trans or brakes to stop it from rolling. If somebody leaned up against the car it could have rolled off the ramps. don't want anything to happen to you or anyone else. maybe put the rear on ramps and front on stands next time
The Ramps have this section where the tires wont move with out an external force, I also had a jack under there as insurance, just to be on the safe side

My DIY:

Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
radioactiveman

My Ride: 2003 530i
What about not changing the filter? I have my fluid ready to go but no filter yet. How much drap and actually get into the trans?
radioactiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
iDriftYou

UPDATE: Hit 101,000 miles, car seems fine. Shifting is awsome. Good luck on everyone who's doing it. I'm going to do this at least once a year.

My DIY:

Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #18
bgalway

My Ride: topaz e46 325ci
newb question. manual or auto?
bgalway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #19
iDriftYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalway View Post
newb question. manual or auto?
auto

My DIY:

Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 AM   #20
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
this is a nice DIY, BUT the problem isnt the fluid. its the filter and all of the metal fragments that get caught in it.

i believe if you wanna go all out you need to drain, drop the pan and change the filter, themn re install and pump the oil in

EDIT: saw the part in the original post

id def do it that way next time!

Tags
5hp19, atf change, diy zf, transmission, zf 5hp19