E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #21
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
my sedan with the SS exhaust is MUCH louder than the wagon
Old 03-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #22
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
The SS muffler is the only quieting factor in my exhaust and the car is only loud over 4500rpm. Thats one of the reasons I'm not running it anymore.

So far everyone I've known with stock muffler and ebay headers prefers some kind of after market muffler, which changes the tone and makes it seem less metallic.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #23
Dstn8r

My Ride: RIP E46 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Dstn8r Send a message via MSN to Dstn8r
I have Ebay headers without cats and my car doesnt sound half loud at all.....you can varely hear any difference that y I'm going to purchase a UUC TSE on monday....I think the raspiness is kinda sexy at high RPMs
Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Yay! An enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstn8r View Post
.I think the raspiness is kinda sexy at high RPMs
Old 03-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
video?
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #26
BMW-UDM

My Ride: Piggy bank
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
my sedan with the SS exhaust is MUCH louder than the wagon

ur sedan sounds
BMW-UDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #27
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
rode in another car behind Hiro's car tonight and drove it - with the automatic the rasp is accentuated and louder
Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #28
kraimer

My Ride: -04-330Ci-
Send a message via AIM to kraimer
would adding catalytic converters such as: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
get rid of rasp?
kraimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #29
shady3one3
Banned

Yes adding cats removes some rasp but also eliminates most of the hp gain from the headers...putting cats back in is like paying all that money for the headers just to relocate your cats.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #30
kraimer

I'm sorry Ash, but I don't agree. I have seen a case study where they did a flow bench analysis on stock cat vs high flow vs no cat and the difference between high flow and no cat was a mere 2 hp!
I actually want to do a comparison dyno of before the headers and after i install the headers with cats.
If someone can prove me wrong with actual numbers and not butt dyno...I'll believe it then
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #31
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
sooooo, no video?
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
shady3one3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraimer View Post
I'm sorry Ash, but I don't agree. I have seen a case study where they did a flow bench analysis on stock cat vs high flow vs no cat and the difference between high flow and no cat was a mere 2 hp!
I actually want to do a comparison dyno of before the headers and after i install the headers with cats.
If someone can prove me wrong with actual numbers and not butt dyno...I'll believe it then
Depends on the cat, but you don't get much power from the headers in the first place, so even 2hp loss is a lot.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #33
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
would adding catalytic converters such as: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
get rid of rasp?
No, I have tecknik headers, OEM exhaust and the cats above welded in place of the first resonators.

Rasp? I definitely have it. I kind of like it though. My car sounds deep down low and then you'll hear the rasp when I get on it until about 5k RPMs. After that, I just hear the beautiful whine of the twinscrew compressor.

I added the cats before I installed the headers. There was no change in the tone at all with the cats. The headers really increased the volume.

I like my headers/OEM exhaust setup.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #34
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3 View Post
Yes adding cats removes some rasp but also eliminates most of the hp gain from the headers...putting cats back in is like paying all that money for the headers just to relocate your cats.
No way Jose. Butt dyno noticed a tremendous gain when my stock cats were removed and I didn't notice a bit of decrease when I installed my hi-flows. There might have been a decrease, but a small decrease at best. BTW- I used two of the cats listed below (NOT THAT SIZE THOUGH-TOOOO BIG). I got two of ebay for $170 shipped, 2.25".

Also. If it was an exhaust leak causing the rasp, you MAY have a check engine light. I was leaking at the flange after TSE3 install and I popped for P0174 (running lean) and figured it was pulling in air from somewhere. I tightened it down after adding some copper and it went away.

I think the term "RASP" is thrown around loosely and categorizes a lot of differenet sounds. Is it a hissing/ticking kinda rasp coming from the mid area of the pipes? Or does sound like robot hampster going ape shit in your muffler? After a lot of thinking, I think my "rasp" is nothing more than the raw engine sound at high RPM's
Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #35
kraimer

Hey James,
What other mods do you have? Have you also dynoed the car after the headers? Since mine is stock right now, I want to do a baseline run on a dyno so I'll be able to compare it to my other mods. If you or if anyone else has a dyno run of just the headers with/without cats that be great.
Another reason I want to add the cats is to get rid of that awful smell.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #36
shady3one3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post
No way Jose. Butt dyno noticed a tremendous gain when my stock cats were removed and I didn't notice a bit of decrease when I installed my hi-flows. There might have been a decrease, but a small decrease at best. BTW- I used two of the cats listed below (NOT THAT SIZE THOUGH-TOOOO BIG). I got two of ebay for $170 shipped, 2.25".

Also. If it was an exhaust leak causing the rasp, you MAY have a check engine light. I was leaking at the flange after TSE3 install and I popped for P0174 (running lean) and figured it was pulling in air from somewhere. I tightened it down after adding some copper and it went away.

I think the term "RASP" is thrown around loosely and categorizes a lot of differenet sounds. Is it a hissing/ticking kinda rasp coming from the mid area of the pipes? Or does sound like robot hampster going ape shit in your muffler? After a lot of thinking, I think my "rasp" is nothing more than the raw engine sound at high RPM's
That's fine, but I don't pay any attention to butt dyno research. Its meaningless.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #37
AMG-ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Rasp is beautiful. It's the nature of our engines. Embrace it.
x100

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #38
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Hey James,
What other mods do you have? Have you also dynoed the car after the headers? Since mine is stock right now, I want to do a baseline run on a dyno so I'll be able to compare it to my other mods. If you or if anyone else has a dyno run of just the headers with/without cats that be great.
Another reason I want to add the cats is to get rid of that awful smell.
I have a s/c and fi cams so I have no idea how much headers add.

I'd just add the cats because you can smell the fumes with the windows down.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #39
Superhiro

My Ride: 2006 330ci ZHP
Ok, I just took this video a few minutes ago. This is after an almost 30 min ride to work and the car has warmed up. It is also not under load so it does NOT have the same tone you hear while driving. IF it were always like this, I would be fine with it.

My little P&S camera didn't really capture how loud it really is either. I'll try to get a better vid soon.

Last edited by Superhiro; 03-13-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Superhiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #40
Superhiro

My Ride: 2006 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Rasp is beautiful. It's the nature of our engines. Embrace it.
I don't mind a bit of rasp... but mine is much more than just a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post
Dude I know what you mean about the rasp. I researched this after I put cat-less headers on and EVERYONE acted like I was crazy. "What? Rasp with the stock exhaust? You're crazy" or "I have stock exhaust and no cats and I love it, no rasp". PFFFF. Yeah right. What started as just a header upgrade, turned into my never ending embarrased journey. My car sounded worse than a civic but only under WOT or when I was "getting on it". NO- THE RASP WAS NOT CAUSED BY AN EXHAUST LEAK.

So I decided the stock muffler wasn't tuned to handle the increased air flow and higher rate of exhaust. I purchased the TSE3, knowing it would be loud but hopefully it will uniform this sound. Wow- it sounded great....until I "got on it" and then it would be raspy... a more intentional sounding raspy (if that makes sense) but still sound unrealistically loud. Not NEARLY as shitty sounding as it was with the stock exhaust.

Then I said WTF and ordered two magnaflow high flow cats and had them thrown in. Overall the car sounds a little lower pitch and the raspy is still at WOT but not the cheap ass sound, probably "just the sound they make". But I'll tell you what, it's a night and day difference now than what it was running a catless system on stock exhaust.... almost $2500 dollars later.
I'm sorry to hear about this and honestly, that is exactly what I am worried about. I think I will be getting a rogue Ikon exhaust in the near future and will go from there but honestly, as long as the tone improves I will be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy017 View Post
super,
i'm running my headers on the stock exhaust, not even a zhp exhaust, and mine isnt that bad. I would suggest that once your engine has cooled, run it again for about 5 minutes until it is just barely hot again and then start checking your bolts to make sure they are all tight. as well all know, metal expands in heat so once you let the engine warm up just a tad, it should expand enough to where if the bolts can be tightened, they will. so just check to make sure they are all tight. i would suggest to start with the top bolts and then check the lower ones. but after you turn your car off, just go inside and get a drink or something to waste a few minutes, then check them, otherwise you will just burn yourself.

good luck.
I still need to retighten all my bolts, I will try to get that done this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstn8r View Post
I have Ebay headers without cats and my car doesnt sound half loud at all.....you can varely hear any difference that y I'm going to purchase a UUC TSE on monday....I think the raspiness is kinda sexy at high RPMs
My car is SIGNIFICANTLY louder than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrothunderr86 View Post
video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrothunderr86 View Post
sooooo, no video?
sorry about the delay but it's finally up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
rode in another car behind Hiro's car tonight and drove it - with the automatic the rasp is accentuated and louder
Stu, thanks again for taking a look and for the ride in the sedan Officially the fastest I've ever gone! Oh and you should think about investing in a second "oh shit" handle for my left hand