E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
SteelGray3

My Ride: 2003 slicktop LSB M3
Alright WTF someone help me with bushings please

So I ordered new trailing arm bushings from BavAuto. I also ordered adjustable rear trailing arms. Well today while I am working on my car with the tech installing coilovers he tells me that I don't have the right trailing arm bushing. Well anyways he won't install the adjustable trailing arms because he says I need to get the right bushings. Well I just went to BavAuto and checked the Part numbers and everything, and the picture of the Trailing Arm bushing matches what I have. Can someone please explain to me why my mechanic is saying that this is not the right bushing for my car and that it will not fit? Also, anyone want to tell me where the bushing is supposed to go? If you haven't noticed I am very pissed off things are not going well and I am really starting to be with my mechanic.

Here is a picture and the part number is 33 32 1 097 009

If this is not the rear trailing arm bushing he wants me to get, what is?

For reference,

The green bar is the trailing arm, it has two bushings marked by the red and blue. He is mainly concerned with replacing the outer red bushing? What do I need to order to replace the red and blue bushings? Also if I have the Rear Trailing Arm bushing now, where does it go?

I am so pissed right now!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
BodyMan

My Ride: 2002 325i
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...2&d=1226213326

Trailing arm.
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
SteelGray3

I am going to break something
Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
You probably got an older / outdated style set, because the updated RTABs have Pac-Man type cuts in them.

I snagged this pic from DMW...

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
SteelGray3

Well, the guy said that they were totally wrong and not even close to fitting anywhere
Old 03-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Wait...what? You're talking about the rear adjustable control arm. That's not a trailing arm. Your RTAB should have nothing to do with the install of your new control arms. I don't know why it's even an issue. Does your mechanic even know what a rear trailing arm bushing is?

Talk to Ruben at Desert Motor Works and get a set of Meyle RTABs. And then for added measure, you can run RTAB limiters from either Vorshlag, Rogue, or Turner. I have the Turner ones with Meyle bushings, and I'm very happy with my setup.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Agreed, your mixing apples and oranges! Next time go to realoem and know what the part is called before you buy! If you just bought new rear adjustable control arms, they came with bushings, right! Why would the mech change them?
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
That "green bar" is the lower (wishbone) control arm and should have bushing fab'd already. It is very simple to install.

The trailing arm is the heaviest component that houses the bearing and such and has everything else attached to it. The trailing arm cost about $700.

Last edited by xavi330i; 03-13-2009 at 11:21 AM.
xavi330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
SteelGray3

Alright, this is what I bought http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=adjustable. I just need to know where to get the red and green bushings and what they are called. Also, does anyone know where the bushings I have now go?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Looks like what you have bought aren't trailing arms, but:

"VAC E46 Adjustable Lower Rear Control Arms
VAC-LRCA-E46
For added performance and camber adjustment, others may stake claim but our custom made CNC machined Adjustable Lower Rear Control Arms are simply the best made controls arms available for the E46.

Use these arms when you need a wider camber adjustment range! Simple to install. No Bushing REMOVAL necessary!
This kit features:

* CAD designed and CNC machined IN HOUSE. Billet aluminum clevis end(outer)is precision made and hard anodized black
* Right hand and left hand thread setup so adjustment is extremely simple and repeatable
* Billet Aluminum construction means they are extremely light and ridged. Unlike steel arms, there construction enables them to not damage other suspension components in the event of a collision or track mishap.
* Assembled with the finest made in the USA, hardened, PTFE lined rod bearing ends available for years of quiet, slack free performance
* Kit includes 2 full arms with hardware and instructions"

So, fine if you want to adjust rear wheel camber and you want a "motorsport-hard" suspension setup without bushes then.

navigate through > suspension > control arms > e46 / rear, at:
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp

These seem to be a direct replacement for OEM lower wishbones. OEM ones are not adjustable and do have shock-absorbing rubber bushes fitted. See Item 5:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...40&hg=33&fg=30

Last edited by tony325ci_51; 03-13-2009 at 12:27 PM.
tony325ci_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
SteelGray3

Alright, all I need is where to get both of the bushings that belong on the ends of my adjustable lower control arms.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
SteelGray3

Old 03-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
///Rogu3

My Ride: has M-Style
Check this out, bro. It'll give you a better idea of what you're looking for.

What you bought is an aftermarket version of #5. The bushings your mechanic wants are #6 and probably #3. call a dealership and verify.

EDIT: The bushings you have right now are RTABs, #4.

Good luck, bro!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...40&hg=33&fg=30
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	306229  

Wifey's car is faster....booooooooo

Last edited by ///Rogu3; 03-13-2009 at 11:13 PM.
///Rogu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
He need bushing # 3. That goes on the Knuckle/Trailing arm. If they are worn out... highly doubt it

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 03-14-2009 at 12:53 AM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
Len013091

My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
Well, actually he needs no bushings to do the coilover install...
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #16
NightWolfe

My Ride: 02' 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelGray3 View Post
Alright, all I need is where to get both of the bushings that belong on the ends of my adjustable lower control arms.
There are no bushing that belong there .. they install just as they are
Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Wait...what? You're talking about the rear adjustable control arm. That's not a trailing arm. Your RTAB should have nothing to do with the install of your new control arms. I don't know why it's even an issue. Does your mechanic even know what a rear trailing arm bushing is?

Talk to Ruben at Desert Motor Works and get a set of Meyle RTABs. And then for added measure, you can run RTAB limiters from either Vorshlag, Rogue, or Turner. I have the Turner ones with Meyle bushings, and I'm very happy with my setup.

I am running OEM M3 bushings w/Vorshlag limiters. It's great!
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote