E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #21
kwikt

My Ride: 2003 330i
Bought some vac hose from the local auto parts and just replaced the rubber hoses. The plastic lines were fine!!! The lines behind the intake manifold were a real pita, limited space for your hand but it can be done after removing the airbox and intake boots.
kwikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #22
kwikt

After another 1000 miles and no codes after checking today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Kevin
Old 02-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #23
silverbimmer3

My Ride: 05 M3 ZCP; 06 530XIT
Guys... this post is great.

I had the same morning cold rough idle issue for years, even when the temperature is 65F!!! Basically the idle is rough when engine is not warm.

And I only got the code 'EE' every time it happened. I have replaced all plugs and the first ignition coil.

EE: Misfire detected, Cyl #1

Can someone help me? I'd really appreciate it.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 AM   #24
GermnBlt

My Ride: 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to GermnBlt
i have the e3,e4,ca codes, table 15 (peake)

had a smoke test done friday and NOTHING happened....wtf....so no leaks, but im getting the limit codes on the 02 sesnors....

are these codes given by the post or pre cat sensors?

Photobucket
GermnBlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #25
performancenut

My Ride: AA s/c 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermnBlt View Post
i have the e3,e4,ca codes, table 15 (peake)

had a smoke test done friday and NOTHING happened....wtf....so no leaks, but im getting the limit codes on the 02 sesnors....

are these codes given by the post or pre cat sensors?
pre

"Sell the 323 and buy an M, it's not worth it"
performancenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
GermnBlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by performancenut View Post
pre
Thanks bro, looks like they will be getting changed.....

Photobucket
Old 03-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #27
bimmerx88

My Ride: 330i
I've got the same problem too! and gonna silicone my adjuster unit and see what's going on.

Table 19 E3 and E4 codes...

Replaced both O2 sensors, and the Intake boot... still getting a high-pitch squeel sound. So I'm going to try the Adjuster Unit. and meh... for a few bucks of the silicone mind as well!
bimmerx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #28
GermnBlt

bimmer...let us know how it turns out

Photobucket
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #29
felixzcat

My Ride: 325it
I actually PM'd Luky for an update caus I've got very similar codes. Hopefully he'll chime in here. I'm getting 9 codes including all that Luky had, yet the car drives fine, and every once in a while the codes clear for about 20 miles (several drives). Besides the idle adjuster, I've read that the engine harness is very suspect too.

Cheers,
Paul
felixzcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #30
richwm

My Ride: 2001 330i, 2006 330i
I am getting the same codes as well 2001 330i with 153k miles. I was just going to replace the pre 02 sensors I will take a look at my idle adjuster. Thanks guys
Old 04-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #31
Luky

My Ride: '08 335i RIP'03 330i
Sorry guys, I don't check this email account/website very often anymore and just saw a PM asking for an update.

So an update as requested... After replacing the idle adjuster the car was fixed and no issues or codes for the longest time... but now it is throwing a pair of codes every once in a while from a cold start up and letting it idle for a few min to warm up. I do not think this is related, but something new . I get a table 19 F5/F6 which is the Precat 02 sensor preheaters or something. Since I did put in new 02 sensors (and they are supposed to be good for 100k) I don't think they are bad. It only seems to throw the codes when the engine is "cold" (which is relative since I live in San Diego and the car is garaged so it probably never sees under 50F) and I let it idle for a few min before driving. If I start it and drive away right away I tend not to see the issue. I have also noticed recently that sitting at stoplights in drive with the motor idling, the motor will stumble sometimes (did not used to do this). I just looked over the idle adjuster again this past weekend when I was changing the brakes/brake fluid/oil/filter/etc with the propane again and did not seem to have a leak... I am wondering if the Dinan intake/throttle body and stage 3 engine software may be contributing... I just keep the code reader in the door pocket and reset it while driving whenever it pops up so I don't have to stare at the CEL on the dash... I'm waiting to see if this continues after it "warms up" here (although it was 97F this past Sunday - pretty good for the middle of April ).

I did the steptronic tranny filter and fluid a few months ago and took a bunch of pics and keep meaning to post them. I did not use the super expensive BMW LT71141 fluid but some Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF that said it met the same specs as the LT71141 was only $3 or $4 a quart at Kragen (not the $25/QT from BMW). I have about 12k miles on this fluid so far and no issues with the tranny (and I drive the crap out of my car). Very glad I did it as the fluid that came out at ~63k miles was (redish) black and it would have been very bad to let it go to 100k. The fluid was so cheap that I simply drained it with the drain plug, refilled it (just a couple of quarts), ran it for about 5-10 min while running through the gears, and repeated this four times (4th time the fluid came out cherry red "clean") to insure that I changed all the fluid in the torque converter. Then I dropped the pan, changed the filter, and refilled it.

I have also been using this fluid for my power steering as well. I noticed it was looking a little dirty and I was getting some "squealing" when turning the wheel, so I use a turkey baster to suck out the reservoir and then refill it. I have done this over multiple weekends to try and "renew" all the fluid without the hassle of draining the whole power steering system. The "squealing" has stopped and everything is running fine.

Last edited by Luky; 04-23-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: typos
Luky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #32
felixzcat

My Ride: 325it
Thanks for the update Luky.

"I get a table 19 F5/F6 which is the Precat 02 sensor preheaters or something."

My table 19 says that F5/F6 is -Secondary air system too low- cyl 1-3/4-6.

Cheers,
Paul
felixzcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #33
kwikt

Oh.... and something that triggered a bunch of codes last weekend. Check the rubber vacuum line on the fuel filter (regulator side). Mine was almost corroded in two. It connects from the fuel filter to the 1st intake boot. I never thought about that line while replacing the others and when this happened it starved the engine of fuel. Simple and cheap fix!!!!!!!

Kevin
Old 04-26-2009, 03:04 AM   #34
Luky

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixzcat View Post
Thanks for the update Luky.

"I get a table 19 F5/F6 which is the Precat 02 sensor preheaters or something."

My table 19 says that F5/F6 is -Secondary air system too low- cyl 1-3/4-6.

Cheers,
Paul
Thank you Paul. You are absolutely correct. I was looking up the error code while driving and must have looked at the wrong page in the booklet. Sometimes I am a moron...

I did a search, found what the issue probably was related to (air pump) and found some good DIY posts and a link to a old BAVAUTO mailer that had a complete step by step trouble shooting guide with pics.

Opened the hood this morning and found two of the three rubber mounts on the air pump were broken, although testing showed that it was working fine. Next I checked the valve on the manifold and found it was not working. I then found that the vacuum line attached to the valve was broken under the O2 sensor plug. So I hit the BMW shop just before the parts desk closed and picked up some new vacuum line ($16 for ~2 foot!). I was going to get the new rubber mounts but they wanted about $19 each! It would have been over $60 just for three new mounts... I said "Screw that!" and went to Home Depot. I bought three M6 x 30mm hex bolts, three stainless " washers, and about 4 inches of 1/2" diameter reinforced hi pressure rubber water hose. I cut the hose up into spacers (3 x 2mm washer and 3 x 14mm spacer) and assembled the blower to the bracket with blue lock-tite. Total cost ~$2. Everything seems to work fine so I just have to wait and see if it throws another CEL code...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fabricated air blower mount.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	312456   Click image for larger version

Name:	fabricated air blower mount 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	312457  

Last edited by Luky; 04-26-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #35
bohemianjsr

My Ride: 2001 325I Sport
Thread revival.

I need to replace these rubber mounts. Good idea you had there Luky. I like the home depot rubber mount improvisation. Is this working out? sometimes the labor and time involved to go after a project like this does not pay off...I know Pelican parts has them on for sale, a quick trip to the depot and problem solved...if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
Opened the hood this morning and found two of the three rubber mounts on the air pump were broken, although testing showed that it was working fine. Next I checked the valve on the manifold and found it was not working. I then found that the vacuum line attached to the valve was broken under the O2 sensor plug. So I hit the BMW shop just before the parts desk closed and picked up some new vacuum line ($16 for ~2 foot!). I was going to get the new rubber mounts but they wanted about $19 each! It would have been over $60 just for three new mounts... I said "Screw that!" and went to Home Depot. I bought three M6 x 30mm hex bolts, three stainless " washers, and about 4 inches of 1/2" diameter reinforced hi pressure rubber water hose. I cut the hose up into spacers (3 x 2mm washer and 3 x 14mm spacer) and assembled the blower to the bracket with blue lock-tite. Total cost ~$2. Everything seems to work fine so I just have to wait and see if it throws another CEL code...
Old 10-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #36
Luky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianjsr View Post
Thread revival.

I need to replace these rubber mounts. Good idea you had there Luky. I like the home depot rubber mount improvisation. Is this working out? sometimes the labor and time involved to go after a project like this does not pay off...I know Pelican parts has them on for sale, a quick trip to the depot and problem solved...if it works.

Yep, my home made mounts are still working fine. This was a very quick fix (if you have a box end wrench, razor knife and lock-tite). The new vacuum line fixed the CEL issue. I have not had any issues with this since my fix. For the quick trip to Home Depot, the $2, and knowing that you did it yourself, it is worth it!

Tranny is still fine with the Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF too (about 20k miles on the fluid now). I also just replaced my windshield wipers with PIAA silicone wiper blade assemblies. They have the air foil piece on both wiper arms and were about half ($22) of what BMW wanted for new stock wipers. The silicone acts like the rain-x on your windshield. Usually there is not much rain here in San Diego but we did see some light rain last week and the blades worked great at 80mph.

Don't pay the high Stealership price (unless you have to or can afford to help make someone else rich).

Luky

Last edited by Luky; 10-26-2009 at 01:39 PM.