E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
To me, it's not a good comparison to look at a pc/laptop based system vs. the stand-alone Peake tool. Software systems can provide varying levels of bi-directional communication, programming, real-time data, etc... - but at the cost of convenience. You need a functional laptop, cables, interfaces, and software you can trust. Even then, most generic systems will not read the BMW factory codes, so you're at that disadvantage.

The Peake tool is a one-shot deal. Plug it in, read the factory codes, reset the light, unplug it and move on. No boot time, no clean up - you can carry the tool in the glove box, etc...

If you have little or no need for the extended functions a software system can offer, there is no need to consider that option.

The only fair comparison would be a plug-and-play OBDII tool vs. the Peake tool. Identical in simplicity, but one offers you accurate codes that apply to your vehicle, one offers generic codes that are watered down to work on various platforms. Similar in price, but not in results. Peake wins hands down.

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #22
uncleto

My Ride: 325xi wagon
update

I drove the car today for about 20 miles going to the dentist. so far no glitch. except the lights on the panel. try to listen and feel the engine for any sudden change with regards to accelaration, idling ,speed and noise. so far i felt something a weird noise coming between the front engine and the ATF reservoir. dont know if im just new to this or something related to the engine misfire. im waiting for my mechanic to call me and discuss the situation. ill upadate you guys and gratefull for all your imputs and knowledge. thanks again! well keep in touch.
uncleto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #23
timmyb35

My Ride: 2002 325i
Ken,

how many different codes am I going to be able to read that are BMW specific if I purchase the Peake code reader other than the generic OBDII code reader? I am guessing that the peak only works for BMW vehicles or does it function with other vehicles as well?
timmyb35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #24
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb35 View Post
Ken,

how many different codes am I going to be able to read that are BMW specific if I purchase the Peake code reader other than the generic OBDII code reader? I am guessing that the peak only works for BMW vehicles or does it function with other vehicles as well?
I have no good way of giving you a specific number of un-represented codes, but the following quote from the article above is based on information from Peake's technical team:

Quote:
More importantly, there are some fault codes that OBDII will simply not read. For example, in a review of codes for one specific model (2000 323i) there are more than twenty-five BMW Specific codes that are simply NOT REPRESENTED by the generic OBDII system. This is common for most models. Therefore, by relying on the readings from a generic OBDII tool, you are potentially missing important information.
To your second question - you are correct. The Peake tools are BMW-specific, and ONLY work on BMWs. Their sole function is to read the BMW Factory Programmed engine trouble code language.

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #25
uncleto

My Ride: 325xi wagon
Does anybody know how to start opening the driver door panel to check the vapor barrier for leaks? any photos anf inputs will be much appreicated. thanks!
uncleto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #26
thekubiaks

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken@bimmertools View Post
I have no good way of giving you a specific number of un-represented codes, but the following quote from the article above is based on information from Peake's technical team:

To your second question - you are correct. The Peake tools are BMW-specific, and ONLY work on BMWs. Their sole function is to read the BMW Factory Programmed engine trouble code language.

Ken
I bought the tool, it is worth its weight in gold. I used to troubleshoot by looking at the OBD codes which usually led me on wild goose chases. The Peake tool reads the BMW codes, not the OBD codes and led me right to the problem. Saved me from replacing the wrong stuff. YMMV
Old 09-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
SteepLearningCurve

My Ride: 2000 323 i
Peake scan tool prices? $139.95 or $258.00?

Quote:
Are you considering buying a Peake tool, or a generic OBDII? I hope after reading this thread you're aware of the differences.

Our Peake tools are $139.95 shipped (domestic). www.bmwscantools.com to see our selection.

The port for your car is under the dash on the driver's side. It may have a small plastic door covering it. It is trapezoidal in shape.

ken@bimmertools.com if you have any questions about the tools we carry, or which is appropriate for your car.

Ken
Ken, the website (www.bimmertools.com) reads $258.00? which is correct?
SteepLearningCurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #28
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

The universal kit that includes both the Airbag and Engine code tools costs $258. The engine code tool alone costs $139.95.

Please email me if you have any questions - ken@bimmertools.com

Click Here to say hi.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #29
jo3y

My Ride: 330ci
can you reset the diagnostics and clear codes with this reader?
jo3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #30
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Yes.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the article written above - ken@bimmertools.com

Thanks,

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #31
BMWstudent

My Ride: hates potholes
Hi, I plan on buying the Peak reader (i just bought my e46 in september) but I have a service engine soon light that just came on. For the past few days I've had a the oil indicator light turn on while the key is in position two, but never a service light. Today the service light stayed on my entire way to school (~25 miles) but not the oil light. However, when i turned the engine off and left the key in position 2 the oil light was on.

is this simply a sign that i need to change my oil? (i'm within 400 miles of what the PO's indy shop wrote on the window sticker for the next change) or could this be something else? I know, I know, buy the reader, but I don't want to wait days for it to get here only to find out its something damaging to the motor. Also, in the last few days i had a 6000 mile message pop up when i would first start the car, and then it would change to telling me the outside temperature.

Thanks!
BMWstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #32
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Hi and thanks for the interest in the product!

Your Service Engine Soon light is unrelated to your oil light or service interval reminders. The reminders and oil light do not indicate faults that relate to trouble codes a code reader would see. The SES light DOES indicate there is a fault code that needs to be checked.

It's important to note that warning lights are only valid when the engine is running. In position 2, the lights are more so for self-diagnosis - to make sure the lights work. If they go away when the car starts, they are not an issue.

The mileage countdown reminder is just that - a reminder. It flashes miles to the recommended service interval, then goes to whatever you have your OBC set to display - temp in your case.

Please let me know if you have any questions. ken@bimmertools.com

Thanks again

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #33
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
I have been using an Actron 9125 for reading the codes on my '05 330i and have heard from numerous sources that it is much better to use a Peake code reader to better diagnose the problems. I am researching how detailed the OBD2 (Actron) fault codes are when compared to the BMW (Peake) fault codes. If the info in the Bentley manual is correct, exactly the OPPOSITE is true. The following codes apply to my '05 330i per Bentley.

OBD2 (Actron) --- BMW FC (Peake) -------Condition

P0111 ------------- 77 ---- Intake air temperature sensor Range/Perf

P0112 ------------- 77 ---- Intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit Low

P0113 ------------- 77 ---- Intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit High

For the 3 conditions above, Bentley shows 3 individual codes for the OBD2 reader, and only 1 code (77) for the BMW FC reader. This goes against the accepted logic on this forum that the Peake reader is the more descriptive reader. There are many others.

OBD2 (Actron) P0030, P0031 and P0032 is BMW FC (Peake) 37
OBD2 (Actron) P0036, P0037 and P0038 is BMW FC (Peake) 39

Can anyone shed some light on why Bentley shows that the OBD2 readers give more detail then the BMW FC readers?
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #34
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

The thing that the Bentley charts do not take into account is the varied code definitions from chassis to chassis. You may be looking at a 3 series manual, but it does not break down the individual tables within the Peake manual which correspond to specific cars. For example, my 323 uses one chart of specific codes, where as your 330 would use another. The codes within are different for each table.

The Bentley table does the best it can, and serves a purpose. But there is a reason techs, dealers, and the factory do not rely on OBDII and a translation chart for doing actual diagnostic and repair work.

Also, because the chart does not work in reverse (because it's not really necessary to), you won't see the BMW factory codes that are not represented at all by OBDII.

Peake tools have actually been endorsed by and included in Bentley manuals since 1992. Clearly, they don't feel it is a redundant tool, even though they publish this chart for those who opt to use a generic tool.

Ken

Click Here to say hi.

Last edited by ken@bimmertools; 01-15-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #35
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Also - and this may more directly answer your question - OBDII codes are designed and mandated by the government. Each manufacturer is required to include a very specific set of emissions related codes, whether they directly apply to that vehicle or not.

I'm waiving a big disclaimer flag here, because I am not a mechanic and because I am going to use a bit of speculation on the exact example you've listed -

When a fault is generated in your BMW, it is the factory diagnostic system doing the warning. The 'closest' OBDII code is also generated per government mandate. So, your car may throw a 'code 77' (which is not the actual digits displayed by the Peake tool, as clarification), which may mean different things in different BMWs. Perhaps in an M3, you'd see the appropriate OBDII code for the temperature (as a hypothetical).

Click Here to say hi.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #36
330I6SPD

Quote:
The thing that the Bentley charts do not take into account is the varied code definitions from chassis to chassis. You may be looking at a 3 series manual, but it does not break down the individual tables within the Peake manual which correspond to specific cars. For example, my 323 uses one chart of specific codes, where as your 330 would use another. The codes within are different for each table.

The Bentley table does the best it can, and serves a purpose. But there is a reason techs, dealers, and the factory do not rely on OBDII and a translation chart for doing actual diagnostic and repair work.

Also, because the chart does not work in reverse (because it's not really necessary to), you won't see the BMW factory codes that are not represented at all by OBDII.

Peake tools have actually been endorsed by and included in Bentley manuals since 1992. Clearly, they don't feel it is a redundant tool, even though they publish this chart for those who opt to use a generic tool.

Ken
The Bentley charts are broken down in detail to engine type, DME and production date, EXAMPLE; Table K, S54 Engine, Siemens DME S54 from 3-1-2001 to 8-31-2001. There are a total of 13 tables for the E46 (a thru m) Do you have any BMW FC table segments that you can post for a table M vehicle ('05 330i). I am sure you can understand my concern in the purchase of a Peake reader with the tables I have access to showing less definition provided using the BMW FCs.
Do you have tables that show individual codes for my posted data? P0111, P0112 and P0113 all being BMW FC 77. I just want to see some hard data before I replace my OBD 2 reader. Thanks.

Last edited by 330I6SPD; 01-15-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #37
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

The Peake manual tables, which do correspond to the factory tables, are not labeled the same. I believe they are hexadecimal conversions of the factory digits/letters to allow the tool to present them easier. While the definitions within are identical, the tables in the Bentley book and the Peake Manual have different titles.

You can download the entire Peake manual here: http://www.peakeresearch.com/manual.htm - the current tool is the R5/FCX3 - download that PDF to see all the tables.

Something I'm not clear on, though - for the three OBDII codes you've listed, the definitions seem to be the default 'generic' language. I've looked through some of the tables I know are related to the E46 and do not see matching language. I do see an "Intake Temperature Sensor" code in some tables, though (digits for the code varies per table, does not correspond to 77).

It is entirely possible (and again, speculation on my part) that BMW's diagnostic system - which in turn triggers the closest OBDII code - does not discern high temperature from low temperature - just that the sensor is off. That would (likely) mean that when this fault occurs, the nearest OBDII code would be P0111. It may never display the others, because those parameters are not reported.

This is, of course, an explanation to something that I don't have the greatest grasp of. It seems that the Bentley tables are working with a different logic - presenting the OBDII codes, then the closest related BMW code, accompanied by the generic definition. I'm not familiar enough with the setup or accuracy of these tables to give you a better answer than what I've estimated here.

I am scheduled to speak with the folks at Peake today who have probably answered this question before. I'll see what I can find out for you.

Feel free to email me - ken@bimmertools.com - I'd be happy to put you in touch with them directly if you like.

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #38
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

OK - a chat with Peake's tech expert confirms my hypothesis.

The chart is designed in reverse, so to speak, and there to support someone who is using an OBDII tool. All the possible OBDII codes that are mandated are listed, with the nearest factory code shown next to it, and then the generic definition.

This winds up giving you the closest approximation of the factory definition for codes that can be correlated. There are many that are not, but that has been discussed before.

Because BMW's diagnostic system is independent of OBDII, there are generic definitions that may be important to other makes that BMW is required by law to include - even if they are never used. The codes you've specifically asked about, for example, represent data that the factory system is likely NOT monitoring or reporting on. Therefore, when code 77 is generated, your OBDII tool would not show the 'high' or 'low' codes.

Bottom line, you would not get more accurate data with an OBDII tool - first because the generic codes are the closest approximation, and second because your BMW only monitors what it monitors, regardless of whether OBDII has a an available code for a particular range of data. If that data is something BMW monitors, it will be reported as a factory code with the nearest OBDII code as required for government inspection.

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #39
330I6SPD

Thanks Ken, that explains it, just because the Bentley is showing these detailed (high/ low) codes on the OBD 2 side of the fault code tables does not mean that all these codes are displayed by an OBD 2 code reader. I appriciate the consult with the Peake engineers and I will be stepping up to a Peake FC reader.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #40
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
Thanks Ken, that explains it, just because the Bentley is showing these detailed (high/ low) codes on the OBD 2 side of the fault code tables does not mean that all these codes are displayed by an OBD 2 code reader. I appriciate the consult with the Peake engineers and I will be stepping up to a Peake FC reader.
My pleasure - I appreciate being put through the paces on this one. I didn't have a clear picture, even though my guess was close.

I did my best not to resort to "IT'S JUST BETTER, OK!"

ken

Click Here to say hi.