E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
Autobot325i

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
what did you do with the Autos wiring harnesses?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #22
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot325i View Post
what did you do with the Autos wiring harnesses?
I didn't think it would be a good idea to just cut the harness so I just kinda tucked it away into the engine compartment. I just tied it around a brake line or something, i cant remember. What did you end up doing?

oh btw, i went back and added more pictures and edited some typos.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #23
Autobot325i

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
i was thinking about removing mine one of these days
Old 03-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #24
eek142

My Ride: E46
amazing thread. thanks for taking the time to write all of that up.
eek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #25
eek142

My Ride: E46
Would you be able to discuss the electronics side of this a little more? Was it simple enough to do? Did you have to change a lot of things in the ECU regarding timing/fuel maps and other things or was everything strictly limited to settings having to do with the transmission? Reason I ask is b/c I wonder how feasible this would be on an M56 sulev (auto only and the ECU is different from M54's so there is no performance software out there).
eek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #26
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek142 View Post
amazing thread. thanks for taking the time to write all of that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek142 View Post
Would you be able to discuss the electronics side of this a little more? Was it simple enough to do? Did you have to change a lot of things in the ECU regarding timing/fuel maps and other things or was everything strictly limited to settings having to do with the transmission? Reason I ask is b/c I wonder how feasible this would be on an M56 sulev (auto only and the ECU is different from M54's so there is no performance software out there).
yeah man, no problem. This is only half of the thread, i still havent made the other half. After I code the car, I will be taking a bunch of pictures and making a coding section of the DIY. This was my main concern when I thought of doing the swap. Without the help of some awesome forum members (you guys know who you are) I would have never gotten my car to start.

When I was researching doing the swap, I could never find actual instructions or information on programming the car, so it's my goal to post up instructions for future people who consider this swap. I was always PMing and Emailing members trying to find out what to do or just get an answer to a question. They were SO helpful, I will always be deeply indebted to them. But I realize that these people have their own lives and i know i probably pestered them all the time. So, im going to take what I learned from them and my research and save them time in the future by compiling a DIY for the forum. It might be a couple of weeks before I get to that though, but i'll definitely let you guys know.

But to answer your question directly, I have not coded my car yet. When I do, I will tell you guys how to do it and I will hopefully be able to explain it a little better. From what I know how to do, coding the car is not terribly difficult. You just need to know the right people and have access to the right equipment. In general, you are just changing the software of your car from an automatic to a manual. There are just a couple of steps you need to take in order to get there.

But as far as your M56 goes, I have no idea how to code that. I just know how to code older E46s, The pre-facelifts. Newer E46s dont have whats called ZCS, they have something more advanced that I dont know anything about. So I'm not the person to help you out on that one, you need to contact jbeurotech or someone of similar stature to answer that question

Last edited by neil1138; 03-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #27
CWABimmer

My Ride: '01 AW on Black 325i
This is absolutely ridiculous! VERY nice write-up! I haven't seen a DIY this extensive in a long time! Congrats on the manual!

ChrisTKHarris's Official Apprentice

19" HM2s | H&R Cupkit & Sways | BMP RSMs | AFE Intake | UUC TSE3 | RE Underdrive Pulleys | Schroth QFPs | 20% Tint | OEM Clears | Tinted Tails | Umnitza 50w P46s w/ Orion V2s | Silvannia Mirrored Bulbs | Jlevi LED Reverse, Sidemarker, & License Plate Lights | Bimmian Blacked Out Roundels, Black Handbrake Handle, ACS-Style Pedals, & Xenon Interior Lights | Custom Boots
CWABimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #28
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWABimmer View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous! VERY nice write-up! I haven't seen a DIY this extensive in a long time! Congrats on the manual!
Thank you so much for the kind words! I hope that if anything, you guys can use the parts list and some of the details on the wiring and clutch setup! I was just trying to fill in the gaps between DIYs I've seen and used. enjoy guys! Again, if there is anything I can clarify for you guys or if you just want to know how the car feels, just ask me!

Neil Prasad
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #29
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63
wow...thanks for taking the time and putting up the write-up great work...im doing this in 2-3 months when it gets warmer...again greatly appreciated info
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
Bimmer330cibro

My Ride: AW 330ci And IR M3
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer330cibro Send a message via MSN to Bimmer330cibro
Holy sh!t, great write up. STICKY!!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #31
sonspot

My Ride: 330I Spot/Prem/cold
Hey wait a min, i thought manual car cost about $1000 less than auto's, good job man
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #32
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
wow...thanks for taking the time and putting up the write-up great work...im doing this in 2-3 months when it gets warmer...again greatly appreciated info
Thank you! Awesome to hear you are doing the swap! Just let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer330cibro View Post
Holy sh!t, great write up. STICKY!!
Thanks! that would be awesome if it was stickied, although there are a lot better DIYs out there than this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
Hey wait a min, i thought manual car cost about $1000 less than auto's, good job man
haha yeah, kinda went in the other direction huh? Oh well, I love it and thanks for the kind words!

Last edited by neil1138; 03-22-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #33
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
so does your cruise and reverse tilt mirror work
Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #34
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
im using a m3 tranny with the original clutch and pressure plate will i need an alightment Tool?
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #35
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
so does your cruise and reverse tilt mirror work
well sort of, my cruise control works just fine. But when you push the clutch in to deactivate cruise, the car thinks its slowing down so it revs up and last time, it revved itself to redline. So from now on, I just tap the brakes to disable cruise but yeah, other than that cruise control works just fine!

Tilt mirror is another story. I havent even thought about it, but if I am thinking correctly, it probably just connects into the reverse switch which is on the side of the transmission. I would think that I would just quick-tap into the reverse light wiring and run the wires to the appropriate DME pinout.

Speaking of my reverse lights... when we were doing the swap I had to wire the clutch switch correctly so I said to hell with the reverse lights, I can wire them later right? I did connect wires to the reverse switch on the side of the transmission and I ran the wires into the "drug storage compartment" in the engine. I have yet to wire the reverse lights into the glove compartment but once I do, i will be sure to include that in the DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnotesdip View Post
im using a m3 tranny with the original clutch and pressure plate will i need an alightment Tool?
I dont know much about M3 clutches but Pelican parts doesnt list the M3 as needing an SAC alignment tool. So I guess it doesnt have an SAC?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata...pg4.htm#item23

EDIT: well they do have a picture of the M3 clutch and it looks like it has a self adjusting pressure plate. So I bet you do need an SAC tool

Last edited by neil1138; 03-22-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #36
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
hmmm, I must have something wired wrong on the clutch switch or something - my cruise doesnt work nor does the reverse tilt

I have been told that coding would take care of both

reverse lights were easy

you should remove the clutch fan or your car will sound like a plane taking off on and in between every shift....so if you hear lots of fan/wind noise - that is the problem
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #37
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
hmmm, I must have something wired wrong on the clutch switch or something - my cruise doesnt work nor does the reverse tilt

I have been told that coding would take care of both

reverse lights were easy

you should remove the clutch fan or your car will sound like a plane taking off on and in between every shift....so if you hear lots of fan/wind noise - that is the problem
yeah, I havent coded my car yet and my cruise works perfectly. Wiring the clutch module and clutch switch are very easy if you just have guidance. If you need help, just pm me and ill give you my number.

And I've been hearing that about the clutch fan. I have it on right now and the car sounds just normal. Probably because I haven't been in stop and go traffic to where my clutch fan would even be on. I think Navin323i had his car converted to an electric fan but from what I've gathered, that's very expensive.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #38
emeren

My Ride: 323i
Holy crap!!!
emeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #39
sonspot

My Ride: 330I Spot/Prem/cold
i forgot to make a third leg joke, too late now since your driving the car. unless you used the reverse mirror function before i would forget it for now, deal with the important things first. man nice to see someone do something other than make their car look pretty (still important, dont get me wrong). a good DIY is inspiring. are you going to do the diff or is that it for now..
Old 03-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #40
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
i forgot to make a third leg joke, too late now since your driving the car. unless you used the reverse mirror function before i would forget it for now, deal with the important things first. man nice to see someone do something other than make their car look pretty (still important, dont get me wrong). a good DIY is inspiring. are you going to do the diff or is that it for now..
Thanks! But Diff? My auto already came with the 3.46 diff so I didn't see any need in replacing it. I guess it's the preferred manual transmission diff. It sure does have a lot of highway pull though. Even in 5th gear

Tags
conversion, evo3, manual, swap, uuc