E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
erbeman

My Ride: 99 323I
This happen to anyone else?

So, I spend several hours last night installing my new P46's with Jlevi's new 62 LED Angel eyes and everything is working fine however I noticed a fitment issue and I messed with it for an hour before I gave up and just screwed everything together and shut the hood. For some reason my corners aren't lining up correctly with the p46's. My corners are Depo brand and they lined up perfectly on my original headlight assembly.There is a gap that starts at the top and tapers off at the bottom. I messed with this for a long time and could never figure it out. It happened on both sides. Has this happened to anybody else? Is there a way to resolve it? I'm anal about my car and knowing there is a gap there is going to drive me crazy Please help if you can.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
rizzo2008

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbeman View Post
So, I spend several hours last night installing my new P46's with Jlevi's new 62 LED Angel eyes and everything is working fine however I noticed a fitment issue and I messed with it for an hour before I gave up and just screwed everything together and shut the hood. For some reason my corners aren't lining up correctly with the p46's. My corners are Depo brand and they lined up perfectly on my original headlight assembly.There is a gap that starts at the top and tapers off at the bottom. I messed with this for a long time and could never figure it out. It happened on both sides. Has this happened to anybody else? Is there a way to resolve it? I'm anal about my car and knowing there is a gap there is going to drive me crazy Please help if you can.
Photos?
rizzo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
erbeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo2008 View Post
Photos?
I'll get some in an hour or two. I didn't finsih up till 1:00 A:M and had plans to drop my car off at a body shop first thing this morning to fix a bracket on my rear bumper that came loose. When I get it back I'll take some pics.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Russ,

It sounds like the corner is not clipped in all the way causing it to bow out. The best thing to do is loosen the top two screws on the headlight and pull it forward. This will allow you to clip the corner into the side more securely.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
erbeman

Ok, here are pics of what I'm talking about. There is a big gap at the top and it narrows near the bottom. I know the corners are all the way inserted because I too figured that was the reason so I pulled the headligh assembly back out and pushed the corner onto and it was loose, there was alot of play. I then slid the whole assembly in put together and pushed and pulled and tried everything and this is the best they would do. These corners are old as hell but they are still Depo brand so they should match up just fine I would think.

Also, it's cold as hell here today and I noticed that the P46's fogged up a bit. I can't imagine that is supposed to happen is it?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
lamaker

My Ride: 2005 325ci
that would kill me as well....
Old 01-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Russ,

It looks like the bottom part of the corners are misaligned for some reason. You may need to play with inserting them to have them sit correctly.

As for the fogging, make sure the rubber boot on the back of the headlight is completely on the high and low beams. If not, this can allow condensation to creep in.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
erbeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Russ,

It looks like the bottom part of the corners are misaligned for some reason. You may need to play with inserting them to have them sit correctly.

As for the fogging, make sure the rubber boot on the back of the headlight is completely on the high and low beams. If not, this can allow condensation to creep in.
Ok, so you think the top part where the gap is located is correct? There is supposed to be a gap all the way down?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
i had something like that but after a couple times of taking them out and putting them back in fixed the problem.

i say mess with the little holder inside maybe it got bent causing it not to sit correctly if u know what im talking about
Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbeman View Post
Ok, so you think the top part where the gap is located is correct? There is supposed to be a gap all the way down?
Russ there should be a slight and even gap all the way down. Right now it's skewed to have too large of a gap at the top and too small of one at the bottom.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
Titanium 325

My Ride: '01 325Ci
Worst case scenario, you could swap the headlight covers to your stock ones and see if it is that the lens covers are off a bit or not.

I was expecting them to be pushed out vs. over. Are they push in style? is it possible that one of the tabs is not in the slot? One inside and one outside causing that? But it is odd that it is on both lights, the same way....

good luck man.

Mods - M3 Style Lip Spoiler, ACS Replica Roof Spoiler (bowed in the middle), Predator Chromium Angel Eyes, P46 Xenons, Smoked Side, Corners and LED Tails, Blacked out Kidney Grills, Self Painted Bumper Reflectors, K&N Drop-in Filter, 19" Miro M6 Reps in Time Attack

Titanium 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
colinluck

My Ride: 2001 330xi
i have the exact same problem! only i have stock headlights and just installed clear corners. did you ever find how to fix the problem???

United States Marine Corps 0311
colinluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
erbeman

I got new corners and it almost fixed it. There is still a slight angle but it is not near as bad as it was.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
fndrh1st

My Ride: 01 325i
i had a similar problem. I actually had to use a dremel and take out some minor imperfections in the plastic clip things on the back of the corners to get them to seat perfectly.