E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
iDriftYou

My Ride: is a HighWay monster
Question E46 rb25det

Now, I know most of the BMW guys are wanting to lynch me for even think about this, but I sure as hell know it's possible. Just wondering what I will need to complete this. I was originally thinking of a 2jz, but their manual transmissions are around 3~5k on a good day. Now, I know I will need custom mounts, wiring, and/or drive shaft? Anything I'm missing there? There's huge potential in the RB series engines, I'm looking for at least 400WHP, which is achievable on the the stock RB block, with a proper tune. Now what are your thoughts on this? Thanks again for reading and replying.

Current: 1990 Toyota Supra
Mods: CP pistons/ Eagle rods/ HKS MHG/ 264 Cams/ Rebuilt CT26
Future: GT35r
My DIY:
DIY ZF 5HP19 Transmission Drain/ Refill : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712

"My life doesn't only move in a straight line, why should my car?"
iDriftYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
You're asking for tons of fabrication, tons of work, and tons of custom electronics. Its not going to be cheap, easy, or a quick process. You'd honeslty be better off supercharging your 325. I'm all for originality, but thats a bit too much, an M3 engine swap would be even easier, and thats not saying much. You chose the wrong platform if you want to swap some other engine into it.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
iDriftYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
You're asking for tons of fabrication, tons of work, and tons of custom electronics. Its not going to be cheap, easy, or a quick process. You'd honeslty be better off supercharging your 325. I'm all for originality, but thats a bit too much, an M3 engine swap would be even easier, and thats not saying much. You chose the wrong platform if you want to swap some other engine into it.
Well, I was thinking about it, it's about the same size engine, yea custom mounts I can do on my own, just the drive shaft will require some time, and this will be for a 323/328 I purchase, my 325i will remain the same . But I have about 10k to spend, and I think it's doable, and when it does hit the streets, it's going to be one hell of a e46.

PS- The M3 motors are insane expensive, I can get a RB26 for the same price as the M3 motor, and we all know the RB has more potential on stock internals.

My DIY:
DIY ZF 5HP19 Transmission Drain/ Refill : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712

Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Enraged

My Ride: 02 325Ci
my opinion will piss off purists, but by far the best bang for the buck engine swap into an E46 is going to be an LSx motor.
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
my opinion will piss off purists, but by far the best bang for the buck engine swap into an E46 is going to be an LSx motor.
You'd think that, but the LSx's are common for engine swaps. I'd go for it instead of a Nissan engine if you're really considering doing it.. but for shits and giggles go M3+s/c.. or a stage 3 turbo.. 780WRHP

Make sure the 323's non sport and you're good to go
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
Enraged

My Ride: 02 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
You'd think that, but the LSx's are common for engine swaps. I'd go for it instead of a Nissan engine if you're really considering doing it.. but for shits and giggles go M3+s/c.. or a stage 3 turbo.. 780WRHP

Make sure the 323's non sport and you're good to go
an M3 motor + s/c or turbo kit is going to be stupid expensive, hence why I said the best bang for the buck is LSx. Yes, they are common, but that makes them cheap to maintain and modify. Plus, with the right exhaust setup, noone would ever know you had one under the hood, if you want a sleeper.
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
iDriftYou

Not a V8 guy . My previous car was a s14 with a 2jz-gte swap, did the swap my self, and was tuned by my local indy shop. I'm a big fan of i-6's, great motor design. Rb25/26 will be my only option, and I will make a thread on how to do it also . I know its gona be hard, but in the end, the car will be a one-of-a-kind, no one will know whats gona go down until they meet the car at full throttle

My DIY:

Old 04-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
anything is possible with $$$
Old 04-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
wesCUHz

My Ride: BTLWAGN
Honestly man. If you have 10k total (if i read that right), I would buy an older 325 like an e30 and do the bastard swap.

Damn.... that would be sick!
wesCUHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
iDriftYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesCUHz View Post
Honestly man. If you have 10k total (if i read that right), I would buy an older 325 like an e30 and do the bastard swap.

Damn.... that would be sick!
Hmm, well e46 are dirt cheep now, like 3~4k for one with about 200k+ miles on them.

My DIY:

Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
Acarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriftYou View Post
Hmm, well e46 are dirt cheep now, like 3~4k for one with about 200k+ miles on them.

Dude go E30, totally baller car for an engine swap.. would probably work better as well.. just my 0.02, if you really want to go E46 then hell might as well but an E30 with a beast under the hood is sex.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #12
supersam

My Ride: misses me
theres one with a supra motor
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=rb26
theres a company somewhere too that specializes in doing rb's for bmws, i remember seeing it
there have even been ls1 motor swaps into bmws
lots of rb25s in e36's and what not..
Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #13
cancell

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to cancell Send a message via MSN to cancell
If you're considering going that route...

Get an older s50 or s52 engine with the iron block. They'll handle a ton of power, stock form. I'm talking ~700 hp on factory internals with a head gasket spacer. There's a huge amount of online FI info for that engine as well.

The lesser we know...the more they fabricate...the easier it is to sell souls
There is a new price on freedom, so buy into it while supplies last.
We've unified over who to kill, so until I find more relevant scripture to quote...
remember, our god is bigger, stronger, smarter, and much wealthier.
So wave those flags with pride... It's the makeshift patriot.
cancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
iDriftYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancell View Post
If you're considering going that route...

Get an older s50 or s52 engine with the iron block. They'll handle a ton of power, stock form. I'm talking ~700 hp on factory internals with a head gasket spacer. There's a huge amount of online FI info for that engine as well.
Yea, but again, I wana do something different. I love the RB engines, there purely amazing,and the sound is sex.

How insane is the sound?

My DIY:

Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 AM   #15
cancell

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to cancell Send a message via MSN to cancell
They sound about the same to me. The BMW's sound a little bit throatier, but it maybe just the different mufflers and vid-cams used.

The lesser we know...the more they fabricate...the easier it is to sell souls
There is a new price on freedom, so buy into it while supplies last.
We've unified over who to kill, so until I find more relevant scripture to quote...
remember, our god is bigger, stronger, smarter, and much wealthier.
So wave those flags with pride... It's the makeshift patriot.
cancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #16
wesCUHz

My Ride: BTLWAGN
Quote:
Yea, but again, I wana do something different. I love the RB engines, there purely amazing,and the sound is sex.

How insane is the sound?
wow....

WTF
wesCUHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #17
mkodama

If you don't have to worry about keeping the car street legal, and not having to use the stock ecu and dash, it shouldn't be that hard. Pretty much, if you car making the car from the ground up like a purpose built car and not a street car, than it's really not that big of an issue. Hardest part would probably be transmission mounts and/or adapting a non OEM transmission to the driveshaft or adapting a bmw transmission to a non OEM engine.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 AM   #18
Lukask

My Ride: E46 SEDAN + VAT
Good luck with the build, looks like E46 are taking the place of the E30 now with all the engine swops going on.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 AM   #19
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukask View Post
Good luck with the build, looks like E46 are taking the place of the E30 now with all the engine swops going on.
Yeah, kinda sad that the E46 is so cheap, but on the positive you end up seeing a lot more creativity and ingenuity because of it. It's amazing to see what people do to get money, but even more amazing to see what they'll do to save it.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #20
Acarder

Quote:

How insane is the sound?
Quick acceleration, but that sounds stupid as **** or is that how they drive?

Tags
m3 csl, rb25det, swap